• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New York Comic-Con 2017: Q&A with Fairy Tail Creator Hiro Mashima

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think fans in general are similar, but at the same time, I feel like the fans over here are so cheerful for creators like me to be on stage. In Japan, even if there one person is going “Yeah! This is fun!” everyone just kind of stands there and shakes their head.

That's really fascinating to me. I guess we do only hear about "cult of personality" creators like ZUN...
Vizo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
He really seems like a cool person.Very Happy
This article did a great job not spoiling anything.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I remember he drew D.VA last year, it's cool to see he's still into Overwatch.

I liked the interview/panel too. Mashima always seems so genuine in his love of his craft, from his published works to his doodles he just really loves doing what he's doing.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I really hope he listens to wise words of Morty Smith.
Quote:
Well then get your shit together, get it all together and put it in a backpack, all your shit, so it's together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in the shit museum. I don't care what you do, you just gotta get it together. Get your shit together.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
I really hope he listens to wise words of Morty Smith.
Quote:
Well then get your shit together, get it all together and put it in a backpack, all your shit, so it's together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in the shit museum. I don't care what you do, you just gotta get it together. Get your shit together.

He hasn't needed to take a weekend off from work in 11 years, so I'd say he's got his shit together way more than the vast majority of people. Laughing
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:
He also did one for Gray and Juvia's child. I have to wonder if anyone also requested pictures of Gajeel and Levy's twins; I'd be surprised if there wasn't.

Reading the interview was such a treat! I do hope that Mashima will go back and do more with Fairy Tail one day, even if it's just small one-shots (still want to see Lucy's adventure in trying to find Aquarius' key!), but for now, I hope he enjoys his break!
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
Aww, I didn't know he was still at the con on Sunday.
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Lizzie_B wrote:
He also did one for Gray and Juvia's child. I have to wonder if anyone also requested pictures of Gajeel and Levy's twins; I'd be surprised if there wasn't.

Reading the interview was such a treat! I do hope that Mashima will go back and do more with Fairy Tail one day, even if it's just small one-shots (still want to see Lucy's adventure in trying to find Aquarius' key!), but for now, I hope he enjoys his break!

I'm not up-to-date on Fairy Tail (but I don't mind spoilers). Did Mashima pair everyone up like Kishimoto did at the end of Naruto? The article you linked to claimed Natsu/Lucy isn't canon, despite the sketch, which is confusing.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
It would have been nice if the report included his reasoning for why spoiler[Natsu and Lucy didn't kiss in the final main series chapter].[/spoiler]
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Did Mashima pair everyone up like Kishimoto did at the end of Naruto? The article you linked to claimed Natsu/Lucy isn't canon, despite the sketch, which is confusing.

Mashima devoted the manga's final chapter to addressing "who ends up with whom":

spoiler[Gray & Juvia
Gajeel & Levy (Levy is pregnant)
Elfman & Evergreen ("they're very close")
Jellal & Erza ("it's complicated")
Arleos (Reincarnated Zeref) & Mio (Reincarnated Mavis)
Erik & Kinana (who I'm not sure remembers that she used to be Erik's snake, but whatever)
Rumors that Laxus has a harem thing going on with Lisanna, Mirajane, and Cana
Open-ended "we'll be together forever" ending for Natsu and Lucy]

I may have missed a few.

Following the end of the series, Mashima has spent a lot of time posting follow-up art to his twitter account, including these two pictures. Long story short, he's made his thoughts about the pairing known.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
^ So Natsu and Lucy are able to Switch, eh.

Pretty cute.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I'm not up-to-date on Fairy Tail (but I don't mind spoilers). Did Mashima pair everyone up like Kishimoto did at the end of Naruto? The article you linked to claimed Natsu/Lucy isn't canon, despite the sketch, which is confusing.

spoiler[The sketch was purely a fan request. Mashima was taking fan requests for sketches during a panel, and someone requested Natsu and Lucy's child. Rather than be a spoilsport about it and refuse, he asked the crowd if they wanted it to be a boy or a girl and tossed together a design on the spot. The article says that Natsu/Lucy isn't canon, because the series ended with no actual romantic development between them.]
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:26 am Reply with quote
that makes sense. he pretty much did the exact same thing with rave master as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Most of his responses are in the manga excerpts. Both his works are pretty generic... but they exist, not saying they are bad but he just said "Some of the artists said that brand new artists get to do their manga now." Hell Yes, move over! Despite being so plain I respect Mashima far more for ending the series rather than what Kubo, Kishimoto or even Oda did at this point. They need to stop and start something new. Keep the ideas flowing.This chasing Toriyama's success is getting sad.

I get excited when I hear a mangaka start a new project. Rave was fine and FT was Interesting. His next project might be the biggest thing
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
At this point I just hope that Mashima's next project actually has a some thought put into it if he wants it to go long term.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2