• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Super NES Classic Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:

I do prefer A Thousand-Year Door, but the original Paper Mario is still a very good game in its own right and has aged pretty well.
For me I never got into the Paper Mario games because they didn't have Mallow and Geno who were my favorite characters in the original. Ironically I now see a lot of hardcore Paper Mario fans complaining the newer games aren't as good as the ones they grew up with. Welcome to the life of a Super Mario RPG fan.[/quote]

Super Mario RPG didn't have a bunch of sequels that weirdly tweaked the combat.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Growing up nobody I knew owned Sega consoles, everybody bought Nintendo. You'd play the demo Genesis at Sears or Service Merchandise, but you didn't buy one. I hadn't even heard of a Master System until the '90s. If you wanted to be cool you went NES and SNES, nothing else would do.

I will admit, I picked up the Genesis Classics collection recently on sale on Steam and had fun playing through Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Beyond Oasis so you're never too old to go back.

EricJ2 wrote:
Even if someone made a little nostalgic plastic replica of a Sega Genesis, I would wonder why I shouldn't just buy the version that was already put on PS3/4 disk.

Official Genesis replicas have been around for years, there's even a version with a cartridge slot. You can find them pretty easily at Target or Toys R Us.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Excuse me, but Super Castlevania IV is fantastic, and I say that as someone who didn't play the game until 2007 and thinks 95% of 16 bit era games haven't aged well. Evil or Very Mad
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I hadn't even heard of a Master System until the '90s.

I know I had never heard of or seen a master system until my cousins whipped it out at one point when I stayed over at their house one weekend only had Alex Kidd In Wonderland I recall. They also apparently had the 32X which I had never even heard of or seen (though I never saw the system just the box for Knuckles Chaotix).

Emerje wrote:

Official Genesis replicas have been around for years, there's even a version with a cartridge slot. You can find them pretty easily at Target or Toys R Us.

Emerje

Hope you're not referring to the ones made by Atgames with their cheap sound chips and other issues.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Growing up nobody I knew owned Sega consoles, everybody bought Nintendo. You'd play the demo Genesis at Sears or Service Merchandise, but you didn't buy one. I hadn't even heard of a Master System until the '90s. If you wanted to be cool you went NES and SNES, nothing else would do.

I was pretty darn cool in those days since I had the Sega Channel. Fun times.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Emerje wrote:

I was pretty darn cool in those days since I had the Sega Channel. Fun times.

Growing up, my parents would never dare buy me a videogame console--But I'd won a Genesis console in a contest at college, and quickly moved on to early-adopting the Sega CD (back when they were still big drawer players the size of a Blu-ray player, and not that little clip-on attachment), long before any other company got the idea of putting digitized video on disk.
Yep, played Night Trap, but couldn't get the hang of it, and the expanded JRPG's like Lunar: Silver Star were better.

There was the whole "rivalry" with SNES, with Genesis players considered the "cool minority" that SNES liked to snicker at--And then 3DO did their ads parodying the Nintendo fans as Mario-mushroom wimps, and the Sega fans with aggressive rage-issues.
Not sure how we ever got that image, unless it was all those beat-em-up games on Genesis.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2