• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Fall 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Chris Farris

King's Game The Animation
A Sister's All You Need.
UQ Holder! Magister Negi Magi! 2

That's a bit too much for a single person, damn
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I'm glad that Nick Creamer got Just Because! because his preview was very much in line with my own opinion and there's nothing I enjoy more than having my own thoughts validated.

Indeed, indeed. Just Because! is slowly gathering a lot of steam and buzz out in the wider community. And Nick was the only First Impressions reviewer that seemed to 'get' the show.

So you don't "get" the show if you give a mere 4/5 rating, eh?

Pretty sure I understood exactly what the show was doing and appreciated it. Since I'm not reviewing it, though, I doubt it'll make my list for week-to-week views unless the ep reviews are really strong.

Aside from the ones I'm reviewing, I will also for certain be watching AMB (naturally!), UQ Holder (it comes out on a slow day), and probably A Sister's All You Need. Other candidates depending on ep 2 performance include Girls' Last Tour, MMO Junkie, and Anime-Gataris. And I might continue following King's Game just to see how trashy it gets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Aw, man, no Wake Up Girls. Oh well, failure suits them, TBH.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
So you don't "get" the show if you give a mere 4/5 rating, eh?

It's not just about the numerical rating, the write-up is part of it too. I didn't mean to offend, I just thought Nick had a better handle on it than you.

And off on another tangent, yeah I'm sad too that WUG-Chan didn't get a nod. That's such an undervalued and misunderstood show.

Last edited by DerekL1963 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I am surprised that Guru Guru didn't make the cut given how they said there wasn't much interest on the site, but I'm not happy about it *pout* Other than that no real complaints.

Before this season I would have never guessed James would cover Umaru after his review, but it seems to have won him over so far, so I'm not worried about his handling of the series.

I would have put money on Theron going three for three on AMB (with him covering the first three episodes when they were shown in theaters and the OVAs) but given the number of shows he is covering and there not being a lack of critical interest in AMB, this does seem to be for the best.

Looks like Chris has drawn the short stick this time around. I'd think that another sister show is just what Chris doesn't need.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Glad Chris got UQ Holder! But yeah, pretty much everything i wanted reviewed, is getting reviews and by people i somewhat know will get the job well done.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Looks like Chris has drawn the short stick this time around. I'd think that another sister show is just what Chris doesn't need.

There is a chance that this new sister show will be different from previous schlock...at least that's what I've heard from light novel fans. At least they're all adults this time.

It certainly seems like Chris got the edgy side of the stick, at least. King's Game has ridiculous gore and the high possibility of weird sexual shenanigans, the sister show opened on pure shock value, and UQ Holder has some surprisingly graphic violence and not-as-surprising fanservice. A bit surprised they didn't give him Jūni Taisen while they were at it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Aw, man, no Wake Up Girls. Oh well, failure suits them, TBH.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Everything else I voted for made it in, but not my poor WUGs. Oh well. It's fascinating how true to its nature this franchise really is. Its a perpetual under-dog in every way. Never one to have more than an inkling of success before being pushed down by its far more polished and plastic competitors. A shame more people don't appreciate it though. Sad
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
It's not just about the numerical rating, the write-up is part of it too. I didn't mean to offend, I just thought Nick had a better handle on it than you.

Put that way, I don't mind.

zrnzle500 wrote:
I would have put money on Theron going three for three on AMB (with him covering the first three episodes when they were shown in theaters and the OVAs) but given the number of shows he is covering and there not being a lack of critical interest in AMB, this does seem to be for the best.

I think so, too. Frankly, I prioritized snagging Inuyashiki over AMB because I'm curious to see how others will interpret/review the latter, so I'll just wait and give it a season-summative or physical release review.

Beside, I get to have fun with Dies Irae, so it's all good. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scalfin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Huh, at least a few of the being reviewer is suffering shows got through. Nice.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
There is a chance that this new sister show will be different from previous schlock...at least that's what I've heard from light novel fans. At least they're all adults this time.

It certainly seems like Chris got the edgy side of the stick, at least. King's Game has ridiculous gore and the high possibility of weird sexual shenanigans, the sister show opened on pure shock value, and UQ Holder has some surprisingly graphic violence and not-as-surprising fanservice. A bit surprised they didn't give him Jūni Taisen while they were at it.

I do think A Sister is All You Need will be different than Eromanga-sensei in that it seems to have a bit more fun at the genre's expense while the latter was played more straight, so I think user and reviewer opinion of the show may be more in line than it sometimes was with Eromanga-sensei. Probably also helps that it doesn't seem interested in ogling the little si...*ahem* "brother", so it may be more comfortable viewing for Chris and viewers like him.

@Key After seeing Episode 1, I have to agree. I didn't vote for it, but I would have if I'd seen how Chuuni it was. I had to laugh at spoiler[that musical number about the guillotine.] I think James could do a good job taking a whack at that one, but he is pretty busy this season, and probably deserves a break from the trash report.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised ClassicaLoid s2 didn't make it, but I really enjoyed reading the reviews of the first season. For those, I would've never known quite a bit of the music and composer trivia in them otherwise.

(I also never fully finished the first season, but I saw they added a hippo composer this time so couldn't resist that insanity... )
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I think so, too. Frankly, I prioritized snagging Inuyashiki over AMB because I'm curious to see how others will interpret/review the latter

I've long wanted to ask this... How are y'all matched up with shows? Do you volunteer? Are you volun-told? Draw straws?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Key wrote:
I think so, too. Frankly, I prioritized snagging Inuyashiki over AMB because I'm curious to see how others will interpret/review the latter

I've long wanted to ask this... How are y'all matched up with shows? Do you volunteer? Are you volun-told? Draw straws?

The reviewers give us their top five choices for shows to review for the season, and we assign based on that. For shows we need to cover that no one listed, we do most of the schedule and ask for volunteers among the people with space left, but truth be told, there are at most two of those per season and sometimes zero. Yes, Chris asked for all three of the shows he was given this season.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Nick for Just Because! is fantastic news since I felt like he really got the show from his write-up.

Sam for BC is ok even if I feel he kind of miss important points sometimes and judge certain things unfairly with very weird comments, but he usually has more hits the miss so all cool.

Those were the 2 most importants and its good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4