• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Fall 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
The reviewers give us their top five choices for shows to review for the season, and we assign based on that. For shows we need to cover that no one listed, we do most of the schedule and ask for volunteers among the people with space left, but truth be told, there are at most two of those per season and sometimes zero. Yes, Chris asked for all three of the shows he was given this season.

Speaking of, how come you haven't done any streaming reviews these past couple seasons? I know you took a break for the Utena review, but are you going away from streaming reviews altogether?

Last edited by TasteyCookie on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Damn i was really hoping robomasters and 2 car would make the list.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Cool! All but one anime that I wanted to get reviewed got in. It appears Magical Circle Guru-Guru will just continue without coverage on this site, unfortunately. Sad It also looks to be like most of the anime I’ll be following will be reviewed by people whom I haven’t read from yet. (Gabriella Ekens for Kino’s Journey and Girls’ Last Tour, Lauren Orsini for Land of the Lustrous and Anime-Gataris, and Anne Lauenroth for The Ancient Magus’ Bride) Anyway, I’ll be looking forward to all these ladies’ and James Beckett’s (Juni Taisin and Konohana Kitan) reviews of the shows I’ll be watching for the season and I wish all the other reviewers good luck for their coverage of the season as well.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
The reviewers give us their top five choices for shows to review for the season, and we assign based on that. For shows we need to cover that no one listed, we do most of the schedule and ask for volunteers among the people with space left, but truth be told, there are at most two of those per season and sometimes zero. Yes, Chris asked for all three of the shows he was given this season.

Holy moly, he's taking it for the team. Does this happen often? (I don't mean with Chris specifically, but that at least one person steps up like this.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Gabriella really hit the jackpot on the heavy hitters! Since none of those series seems likely to be shippable, this should be good. Also happy to see Theron getting Inuyashiki, and Anne on two great series that couldn't be more diametrically opposed will be fun. Smile

I wish we could look at old polls even after they're closed. I honestly can't remember what I voted for when I get more than 3 choices, so I don't know what percentage of my picks made it through. Guess I'll have to start screen capping these.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I really really want to know the thought process behind the people who wanted to see a review of the trainwreck known as King's Game. Rolling Eyes
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
I really really want to know the thought process behind the people who wanted to see a review of the trainwreck known as King's Game. Rolling Eyes

Same as any of the shows picked for hate watching: it seemed like it would be fun to pick apart. Though Dies Irae could very well walk away with the booby prize.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Everything I wanted has been picked up so I am
Content. Thanks ANN looking forward to your autumn reviews.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed with lack of WUG but pleasantly surprised Konohana and BlendS will get weekly coverage.
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I wish TsukiPro was getting reviewed, but I am more shocked that Idolmaster Side M was not picked.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
SonicFanA wrote:
I wish TsukiPro was getting reviewed, but I am more shocked that Idolmaster Side M was not picked.

We're actually covering Love Live largely based on our knowledge of the franchise's established fanbase. But TBH the votes weren't really there for Love Live either, if it was any other show, they wouldn't have nearly enough to necessitate covering it. All the other idol series just absolutely tanked in votes by comparison. English-language idol anime fandom is vocal, but they're a niche of a niche, even for the biggest series of them all. Just goes to show you can't trust your personal bubble of fandom when looking at larger metrics for anime fandom.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
^I was curious about LL. I know Bamboo has pretty much just done them all, so I thought maybe this was a case of it not performing particularly well, but there being someone willing to write it up, and the fandom being enough to make it worth it.
You're right though. Idol fans are exceptionally vocal, and sometimes ironically aggressive and rude, so it's interesting to see just how niche those fandoms actually are, in the grand scheme of things.

JacobC wrote:
Yes, Chris asked for all three of the shows he was given this season.

Makes me wonder if Chris is a secret trash monster, and is just doing a bad job of hiding it. Laughing
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm satisfied with what is getting reviewed!

And super happy that James Beckett got three shows I'm watching this season, including two that I am SUPER excited for, Juni Taisen and Garo. Always enjoy your reviews the most sir!
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

Same as any of the shows picked for hate watching: it seemed like it would be fun to pick apart. Though Dies Irae could very well walk away with the booby prize.

King's game sound like it'll go the way of big order (or more precisely future diary) so I think there's some good material there. Dies Irae is more of an unknown for me, but if it's really based on an already convoluted LN, it could really go the full way and reach new low of terribleness.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
As far as King's Game goes, I dunno... I hope there is some entertainment to be had there, but I barely managed to make it through the second episode and it was not entertaining even in the bad way. It was just miserably mean-spirited and gross. It made me pretty uncomfortable. I certainly won't be watching more of it, and I'm not usually one to drop trashy shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4