• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I also guessed Australia because you had mentioned you were born outside the USA. Nothing too terrifying in the way of spiders and snakes around Toronto. Apparently, this is a bad year for ticks from which you can get Lyme Disease. I live in the city, so again, not an issue, but my mom lives in a part of Nove Scotia where they are really bad and she has to collies that are basically tick magnets (Mom takes anti-tick precautions of course).
Mandragoras

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Hey, people. Finding this thread was weirdly difficult! Glad I did. In any case...

I go by Mandragoras a few places, Manticore some others, and various other pseudonyms. I recently became a staff writer at THEM Anime Reviews and realised that, despite being inspired to write on this subject by several folks working here (Jake, Nick and Gabriella in particular), I'd never actually joined the forums. Or registered an account on the site in general, for some reason. So I did.

In terms of media, well, it should be obvious that I rather like anime, particularly stuff that's emotionally potent and visually and structurally a bit off-kilter. I also quite like music, and in fact am something of a musician myself, although whether I qualify as a *good* musician is a different question. I read a lot as a child, and should like to get back into that habit in earnest; I particularly enjoy dark fantasy and supernatural horror with a slight postmodern or experimental bent, although there is a lot of bad experimental fiction out there and far more bad horror. I tend to be picky about what I watch and read because I want to at least get a worthwhile experience out of something even if I don't like it, but that can be a difficult task sometimes.

Hope y'all are doing well.

P.S. You can call me whatever you like so long as it's not sincerely insulting. In terms of pronouns, "he" and "they" both work. Whatever you're comfortable with.
PaarthurnaxFeim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
hihi Super Excited about joining! I'm here to expand my knowledge!

Sex: Female

Marital Status: Engaged

Ethnicity: French and Caucasian

Religion: Satanist

Pets: 2 Dogs. One Lab One Shepard Mix

Drink/Smoke: Can only drink like 1 beer. Vapes.

Likes: Anything and everything anime! Fall. Candy. Pastries. Driving. Learning. Conventions. Animals.

Dislikes: Summer. Really cold drinks.

Favorite anime: Elfen Lied, Spice and Wolf, Space Dandy, Little Witch Acadamia, Redline, Final Fantasy Movies, Samurai Jack, School Days, .Hack//, Pokemon, Kanon, Kure-nai, SAO, Baka to Test, Kore wa Zombie desu ka? Just to name a few. Laughing

Favorite Manga (Light novels): Plannet Ladder, Ruruni Kenshin, Tsubasa

Favorite Books: The Dark Hills Divide, Twilight.

Favorite game: All Elders Scrolls games EVER! And currently Horizon Zero Dawn.

Favorite TV shows/Movies: All Ghibli Films, Your Name, Wolf Children, Expelled From Paradise, Grave of the FireFlies.

Favorite Drink: I don't drink liquor.

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Rockstar, Venom, Nos, Choccy milk, water, tea

Favorite Foods: I love BBQ! MMMmm and Steak.

Favorite Sites: Alison, Facebook, Google, Amazon, Wish. ( I read and learn Alot.)

Favorite Sport (to watch): N/A

Favorite Sport (to play): N/A

Favorite Music: ASOT. Trance and light techno. Mostly silence.

Job: Roku Channel Administrator

Hobbies: Watching anime, Learning, Cosplay, conventions, cross country trips.

Fun facts about ME:
I won the most recent Toonami Givaway this year.
Can drive a standard.
Owns a haunted forest attraction on my property.
Has a Pikachu Edition N64
Can play Guitar hero on the standard controller and not the guitar. (Expert)
I saw Your Name (kimi no na wa) in Theaters and Funimation was there. They had a little quiz at the end and I ended up winning a theatrical poster for Your Name. Best Day Ever.

Favorite Quotes: Que Sera Sera - In the Cut
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Welcome Mandragoras and PaarthurnaxFeim!

@ Mandragoras: I was intrigued by your description of the type of anime you like:

Quote:
stuff that's emotionally potent and visually and structurally a bit off-kilter.

What are some specific titles that correspond to that description for you?

@ PF: we like many of the same titles. I thought I might be one of the few anime watchers who enjoyed both Little Witch Academia AND School Days.
PaarthurnaxFeim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

@ PF: we like many of the same titles. I thought I might be one of the few anime watchers who enjoyed both Little Witch Academia AND School Days.

Thanks! That's because I like to watch everything. My best friend told me about school along time ago. I was skeptical because of the title but never judge a book by it's cover. Laughing
I love really messed up animes so feel free to recommend more. Smile
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Welcome, Mandragoras and PaarthurnaxFeim! Considering oneself a 'picky' watcher has become quite an aspirational virtue in this hobby recently, given the size of each seasonal influx.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
@ PF - when it comes to "messed up" anime titles, School Days really is in a class of its own. I really can't think of another one like it, but if you haven't checked out Akame ga KILL!, Another, Berserk (old and new versions) Magical Girl Raising Project and, of course, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, you might like them. Parasyte was pretty cool, too.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
For "messed up" I would suggest RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne. It's very mature and doesn't have the humor School Live has but it definitely fits the "messed up" and original idea.
Nearon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone, very glad to have found this forum, I can finally share my love for anime and manga with other people who don't find it childish and/or eccentric !!

Name: my real name is Aaron

Sex: gender non conformative, I believe I can be whatever I want to be.

Blood Type: B postive

Location: International !! Yes I'm a proud flight attendant, originally from france but I live Saudi Arabia Crying or Very sad

Marital Status: Super single ! Homosexuality is not accepted where I live !

Ethnicity: half french, half turkish

Religion: Agnostic,

Pets: I have the cutest cat in the whole world, his name is Merlin!

Drink/Smoke: both, I once tried vaping but did not like, nothing replaces a good ol' cigarette. Whenever I light one, I feel like I'm the reincarnation of Audrey Hepburn!

Likes: I love to travel so I made a career out of it, anime, manga, reading and most importantly socializing !

Dislikes: humm....I can think of nothing I dislike, but I'll go ahead and say, Dwayne The Rock Johnson! God, I hate his face, it reminds of squashed boiled potato

Favorite anime: HXH, Death Note, Another, Anohna, Saint Seiya, Yu Yu Hakusho, psycho-pass , Lupin III, Love stage (hilarious) and many many others !

Favorite Manga (Light novels): Any BL manga, I live for those. I like Black Cat, Bleach. There is however, this Graphic Novel that I absolutely adore, called The Red Star; it's reminiscent of WWII but it has a touch of magic in it ! I really recommend this one !

Favorite Books: my favorite book ever is Memoirs of A Geisha by Arthur Golden, but I also love Harry Potter, I can safely say that I have read it more than 100 times, I love Looking for Alaska by John Green, it actually made cry!

Favorite game: I love Final Fantasy, my favorite one FF12 on PS2!

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Harry Potter, Changeling, Carrie (the original one),

Favorite Drink: I love me a Long Island Ice tea

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Water ?

Favorite Foods: I love italien food.

Favorite Sites: ssense.com, I'm kinda addicted to shopping

Favorite Sport (to watch): I don't like sports PERIOD

Favorite Sport (to play): not even gonna bother to answer ( although, when you think about it, I technically did)

Favorite Music: I love classic music, my favorite composer is Tchaikovsky !

Job: Flight Attendant !

Hobbies: I like to draw and gossip about other people ! Go Galley FM

Favorite Quotes: "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live" from the first Harry Potter book
“He was like a song I'd heard once in fragments but had been singing in my mind ever since.” from Memoirs of a geisha
"Y'all smoke to enjoy it, I smoke to die" from Looking for alaska
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
@ Nearon - welcome to ANN! I hope you avoid the fate I see of a lot of posters who post in this thread to introduce themselves... then don't seem to hang around to actually post stuff. In any case, living (or, given your occupation, it's probably more accurate to say you are based there) in Saudi Arabia must be... interesting.
Nearon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Nearon - welcome to ANN! I hope you avoid the fate I see of a lot of posters who post in this thread to introduce themselves... then don't seem to hang around to actually post stuff. In any case, living (or, given your occupation, it's probably more accurate to say you are based there) in Saudi Arabia must be... interesting.

I definitely hope not !

Yes it is quite interesting. At first, it was extremely hard for me to adapt to their ways, but After 2 years, I've gotten used to their culture !! didn't get used to the heat yet though ! It's infernal down here !!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Not that it's any of my business, but how did you end up in Saudi Arabia? Was it for work. Sorry if that's being too nosy, but unless somebody works in the oil or construction business, they usually don't end up there.
Nearon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Not that it's any of my business, but how did you end up in Saudi Arabia? Was it for work. Sorry if that's being too nosy, but unless somebody works in the oil or construction business, they usually don't end up there.

Nah, it's okay ! I actually worked for a national company (Air France) for a year, and while I was there, people kept talking about some Gulf companies and how luxurius they were ! So I I applied for the first one that was hiring (saudia airlines) and got accepted!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:09 am Reply with quote
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
Hi my name is Alex I am new here nice to meet you all Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 227 of 233