• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Deadly Sins Ranks #4 Among Netflix Shows Most Watched Within 24 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Of course it is...ITS ONE OF THE BEST!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they learn that a large % of anime fans don't care about "binge racing". We want to watch anime as it airs
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Hopefully they learn that a large % of anime fans don't care about "binge racing". We want to watch anime as it airs

I wonder who will tire themselves out first? Netflix or anime fans? Pretty sure Netflix doesn't care at all.

On topic, I'm not surprised. Seven deadly sins is probably one of the best anime on netflix. SEASON 2 HYPE!
Feli Kun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Hey that's pretty good...
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
SDS is a very binge watchable anime. I almost binge watched it myself. Anime smallmouth
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Netflix defined the practice of watching an entire season as quickly as possible as "binge racing." It noted that it has 8.4 million members that have "binge raced" a show during their membership. In addition, the number of people finishing a full season within 24 hours has increased 20 fold from 2013 to 2016.

They make it seem like it's a contest. Anyway I never watch this anime but good for it being ranked #4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Considering the length, I don’t think most people binged it in one day. However, if they got quite a few that did, that means even more watched it over two, three, four days, etc. Now they might not have gotten 4th there too, but either way, a substantial number of people watched it. On Netflix. All the time when Netflix gets something, some go “Oh no! Netflix got it! Now no one’s going to watch it legally. Cause you know us anime fans, we want to watch it right as it airs.” Mark this under the column of “Actually, quite a bit of fans watch it on Netflix”
NeganTheWise

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
as Netflix have the first season, i wonder if they'll take S2 as well, would be pretty damaging to winter season hype to lose the legal means of watching both Violet Evergarden and Nanatsu S2 during their weekly release.

as for the article. most anime fans i know are the type to marathon shows, so i'm not surprised that an exciting high paced show like this gets high binge levels. but to be 4th amongst every show on Netflix its pretty impressive
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
If anything, this should show Netflix that anime fans want to watch shows IMMEDIATELY. They want to watch it as soon as it's available, hence being #4 on this list. Now imagine how fast they would watch it if it were available even earlier... you know like the same day as Japan...
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Mark this under the column of “Actually, quite a bit of fans watch it on Netflix”

We will find out when the next season airs weekly in japan. Will all the people that watched the first season in netflix wait at least three months (because they want to binge or hate subtitles) or will they start to look somewhere else? When the first season debuted in Netflix it came out of nowhere to non-anime fans, but that will no longer be the case next year.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the 4 episode OVA being listed on Netflix as an entire season had any help with this. It doesn't exactly specify season 1, and the other shows ahead of it all had pretty short seasons too.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
If anything, this should show Netflix that anime fans want to watch shows IMMEDIATELY. They want to watch it as soon as it's available, hence being #4 on this list. Now imagine how fast they would watch it if it were available even earlier... you know like the same day as Japan...

I say that anime viewers would rather have anime as a medium being niche if it´s for the sake of conviniently not paying much money because of this competition, Because most of the time, the hate comments towards Netflix and Amazon sound less like legit complains and more like bitching and sounding like an entitled consumer who thinks of him/herself as a super rich burocrat who has to have the highest quality dishes on the table. For example, there was a long period of time in LAtin America where licensing anime series was more difficult(specially in regards to age rating), and from 2006 till 2016 there were less and less dubbed anime series than before. Now that we have this(IMO) blessing of streaming service competition to facilitate anime broadcasting, I´d hate that Netflix obtaining anime series and dubbing them becomes quickly a thing of the past because anime viewers in the US complain and bitch about Netflix handling anime, instead of presenting the complains to customer service so they can do better in the future. Please don´t let that things like this happen to us, or Asia, or some Europe countries with lack of anime access, and address the complains to Netflix and Amazon in a more responsible way.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Too bad Little Witch Academia couldn't be included on this list, since it was impossible to binge the whole season due to the further delayed second half.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
Of course it is...ITS ONE OF THE BEST!

My reaction was "Well, yeah...I mean, Diane; what's yer point? Very Happy "

If the article was trying to suggest that Netflix Has a Brilliant Future in Anime, maybe if they put Diane in other shows, we'll consider it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

Yeah, and imagine if you had to watch them once a week, like they do in Ja....oh, wait, that's Crunchyroll. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2