• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What frame rate are UK Anime BDs?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm in Canada and I'd like to order A Silent Voice on BD from Amazon.co.uk. Obviously the disc won't play in a Region A player in Canada but that's not a concern for me. However, back in the DVD days NTSC content would have to get converted for PAL DVDs and the frame rate conversion was at times, er, ugly. Now it's the 21st century and we have HDTVs capable of 50hz and 60hz in every region. So, if I purchase a UK anime BD will it be 23.976fps like a Japanese and North American release would be, or is it going to be converted to 25fps either by frame decimation/interpolation or have been sped up by 4%?
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:08 am Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
I'm in Canada and I'd like to order A Silent Voice on BD from Amazon.co.uk. Obviously the disc won't play in a Region A player in Canada but that's not a concern for me. However, back in the DVD days NTSC content would have to get converted for PAL DVDs and the frame rate conversion was at times, er, ugly. Now it's the 21st century and we have HDTVs capable of 50hz and 60hz in every region. So, if I purchase a UK anime BD will it be 23.976fps like a Japanese and North American release would be, or is it going to be converted to 25fps either by frame decimation/interpolation or have been sped up by 4%?

With very few exceptions, Anime Blu-rays sold in the UK are 24fps progressive (or 23.976 as you say). You might get the odd release like Cowboy Bebop which is 1080i 60Hz (Anime Limited's masters) or Bodacious Space Pirates which used Sentai's first release masters, again at 1080i 60Hz.

I think the only UK disc that you have to worry about when it comes to frame rate is Kaze's Bleach: Memories of Nobody, encoded at 1080i 50Hz, which repeats every 24th frame to create a 25th frame, introducing a rhythmic judder to pans and scrolls. That's it.

If you're worried, try dropping them Anime Limited a line. They are uber-helpful!

https://www.alltheanime.com/pages/contact-us
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1