• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
MEGA ANSWERMAN!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I'LL respond to what you said.

Vegetarianism and Veganism are personal choices made for various reasons, but I don't know anyone who does it because they think they're going to reduce the suffering in the world. Many people do it because they, personally, don't want to lend to any kind of animal abuse. So it's just like you said. But it's not "wrong." Nor is it crazy. (You didn't say this, but I can understand wondering at someone who swears off your favorite food type. Anime smile I can't live without milk, myself.) It's not impressive either. (Except in that it can show someone's self control.)

And I definitely agree with you on the waste issue.

Aw, now this is an anime board and I got so off-topic. Great double-sized installment this week!
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Okay professor let's back up:

For an English language expert you sorely lack in your ability to distinguish sarcasm and explanations.

I wasn't attempting to wow you with expert knowledge of the English tongue - I was attempting to bridge the linguistic divide between your side of the Atlantic (I'm presuming you're American) and mine lest you take excessive umbrage. "Britain and America - two nations divided by a common language" and all that.

Quote:
I appreciate your advice on winning friends and influencing people, I'll be sure to integrate that and pillock into my life. And I mean that sincerely.

Glad to have been of service - one does one's best.

Quote:
I invite an actual rebuttal to that, in fact I might cry tears of joy.

I'm really not interested in rebutting whatever notions you have about the cycle of life on a sodding anime forum. Frankly, I had presumed you were just trolling. If you weren't, then I apologise for bruising your pride - but I still don't want to engage in that discussion with you in this place, at this time.

I'm okay with sarcastic banter though.

Quote:
I don't care about being right, or making friends, or influencing people.

That's wonderful news - with that attitude you will doubtless avoid many disappointments in life. Wink

Quote:
But thanks. EDIT: I don't think you were trying to, you know, be a prick.

That wasn't bad. This may come as a suprise to you (it certainly did to me) but I think I'm actually warming to you.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Anime cry Oh gracious soul...

Yeaah, sorta violently derailed it there.

I think someone mentioned they liked the Berserk anime more than the manga? I can't decide for myself...the anime commanded about 5 repeat viewings out of me, but once I careened through the Darkhorse manga I turned to scanlations...

So why can't anime command the same kind of quality in terms of story, art, drama, etc. ? Couldn't they just put the same budget into half the episodes? I guess with a show like Bleach you don't have to because so many people would watch it anyway, but what about other shows that are constricted by budget? I would take 12 rockin' episodes of whatever over a drawn-out borefest sometimes punctuated by limp battles and whatnot...
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
Deleted. Except for: "I just wanted to say that I appreciate you, Moomintroll. Thumbs up, dude."

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote
If you check my original post, I covered the "some people just don't like meat" side of the argument. That's cool. I regret carrying on with that now, but I'll contest I was pretty comprehensible for a drunk person.

I think shounen is hardly the most guilty in terms of dragging things out...I think it just seems more unnatural due to the fact people should be fighting and not whatever lame drama they exploit for easy animation. What do you think about shortening series runtime for quality?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:51 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
I just wanted to say that I appreciate you, Moomintroll. Thumbs up, dude.

Thankyou fellow herbivore. Wink
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
makomk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
tempest wrote:

(Long first ammendment post snipped for brevity)
-t

Technically speaking any method of saying something, even if it's offensive, obscene, or just the same thing someone else said, is the act of expressing something. So technically if we just go by a more constitutional version of common law, copyright would not exist.

Of course unfortunately thanks to the case I linked in my earlier post, there is a precident set legally that the government can supposedly ban "harmful speech" because of their liberal view of the constitution.

That said, it was enumerated in the constitution as an additional right for congress to make laws specifically in that case to promote the arts and sciences. It's another type of social contract where we agree to give up some freedom in return for something good. In this case more art and science. So it very much is expression, because you are still saying something, even if it's something someone else has said.

IP is actually closer to speech than physical property, but because we decided to form that contract, we signed our right to express certain things in certain ways at certain times. Unfortunately as of late it seems the contract has been getting terribly one sided.

Exactly. More specifically, US law does not recognise any intrinsic property right in creative works. (The UK is the same, though according to Wikipedia publishers (not authors) used to be considered to have a common law right to control all publication of their books forever - this was eventually thrown out because it meant that large chunks of our culture were locked up where only the rich could get to them.)

ikillchicken wrote:
Well I can at least understand that. Look around...it looks flat. Where people get into some delusional idea that the first ammendment protects pretty much any activity, I have no idea.

Actually, most people would probably be surprised how much the first amendment protects...
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I hope that was ironic or something...
EDIT: Aha, yes. winked. gotcha.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
1:

psycho 101 wrote:
The basic rule is veggies don't eat meat.

Well, obviously. But, having been a vegetarian for over 30 years I can tell those still getting confused about this that "meat" in this context includes animal fats. This isn't rocket science people.

Quote:
I think they're all wacko myself

Thanks. Confused

It's called a joke, lighten up.

Quote:
since we're designed as humans to be omnivores, not herbivores.

Moomintroll wrote:

We're certainly not naturally equipped to eat anything like as much meat as the average American consumes.

Now I didn't say that now did I? A little thing called moderation goes a long way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8