• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Ancient Magus' Bride English Dub Stars Dani Chambers, Brian Mathis

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
So according to their pages Dani Chambers is a complete unknown and Brain Mathis' most well known role is Garp in One Piece (though he has been in a bunch of shows over the years). This is a pretty bold choice by Funi. Hopefully it pays off.

Kyle Phillips as a director is a bit hit and miss with me (though more hits). I liked the dubs for Dragon Maid, Dagashi Kashi, and Overlord. But Centaur's life and Izetta were a bit meh to me.

Though with a show as hyped up as this one I'm sure he'll bring his A-Game. Only time will tell.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I know Kyle Phillips picked up Tyler Walker's enjoyment of working with people who are newer or not cast in big roles, but I wasn't expecting someone brand new.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I am both excited and anxious at the same time, and most of that comes down to the ADR Director. I've really liked some of the dubs Kyle Phillips has directed (Dagashi Kashi, Overlord, Aria the Scarlett Ammo AA, and Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid), but overall, he can be hit-or-miss. His dub from last season, A Centaur's Life, was fine, but like the show itself, it wasn't anything special. What sets him apart from other directors is that he often casts newer, less experienced actors in lead roles, and that continues here. I'm guessing no one here knows who Dani Chambers is, so we can't really judge her as an actor, not even from the promo that FUNi released. I'm sure Kyle Phillips will put his best foot forward if he knows how big this series is, but will that be enough?

So yeah, I'm both excited and anxious at the same time because I have no idea what we're gonna get from this. Shocked
macattack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I can't place Dani Chambers. It's either an alias (for a VA whose voice I don't know obviously) or she really is a newbie. That trailer doesn't make her sound like a newbie, though. I wonder if she's a veteran from the Dallas theater scene and they brought her in specifically for Chise?
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
I can't place Dani Chambers. It's either an alias (for a VA whose voice I don't know obviously) or she really is a newbie. That trailer doesn't make her sound like a newbie, though. I wonder if she's a veteran from the Dallas theater scene and they brought her in specifically for Chise?

It's definitely not an alias since she has her own Twitter account: https://twitter.com/SkiniMini07/status/922964918529380352
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
macattack wrote:

It's definitely not an alias since she has her own Twitter account: https://twitter.com/SkiniMini07/status/922964918529380352

She may not be a veteran, but the Twitter shows she’s a stage actress.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Hit or miss director with a trailer that doesn't inspire confidence. I'm going into this nervous. Sad
Silent-Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Hit or miss director with a trailer that doesn't inspire confidence. I'm going into this nervous. Sad

Same here. I was hoping this would be handled by a more competent ADR director like Mike McFarland, but unfortunately he's too busy directing BBB S2's dub. Sad
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:

Me too, Morry, but I'm rooting for this to succeed. Yes, Kyle Phillips is a hit-or-miss director, but I can't deny that he did a good thing here: He cast a black actor in the lead role. There aren't many black actors in anime; I can count all the ones I know on my 2 hands, and none of them have played a main character, so this is a fantastic opportunity for her! Kyle Phillips is that hit-or-miss director that could lead her to more substantial roles at FUNimation.

So don't screw this up, Kyle! Wink

...Seriously. Neutral
MJKS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
So according to their pages Dani Chambers is a complete unknown and Brain Mathis' most well known role is Garp in One Piece (though he has been in a bunch of shows over the years). This is a pretty bold choice by Funi. Hopefully it pays off.

Ditto. With that said, the preview clip is promising for both. Although, Chambers may be a touch above Chise's register. Anyway, I like what Phillips did with Dragon Maid. So all in all, I'll at least check this dub out, even if I stick with the Japanese.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
There aren't many black actors in anime; I can count all the ones I know on my 2 hands, and none of them have played a main character, so this is a fantastic opportunity for her!|

That statement is false. Here are 3 main/secondary main black characters that were dubbed by a Black person or a person of Black ancestry: "Cyborg 009" (Toonami version), Cyborg 008/Pyuunma* was played by Beau Billingslea. Let's not forget Samuel L. Jackson played "Afro Samurai". Dutch of "Black Lagoon" was voiced by Dean Redman.
macattack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
There aren't many black actors in anime; I can count all the ones I know on my 2 hands, and none of them have played a main character, so this is a fantastic opportunity for her!|

That statement is false. Here are 3 main/secondary main black characters that were dubbed by a Black person or a person of Black ancestry: "Cyborg 009" (Toonami version), Cyborg 008/Pyuunma* was played by Beau Billingslea. Let's not forget Samuel L. Jackson played "Afro Samurai". Dutch of "Black Lagoon" was voiced by Dean Redman.

Not to mention all of the characters Bob Parker (yes, he's black) has voiced for FUNimation, some of them have definitely been leads or important secondaries.

I get that black VAs are underutilized, but making blanket statements without researching first is unhelpful.

In any case, congrats to Dani (thanks to those who did the research and corrected me, speaking of failing to do research Anime hyper) for earning the role and I hope she does Chise justice.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
I too am feeling uneasy about this call. A hit or miss director doesnt exactly inspire a lot of confidence. Whether he has more hits or misses is up to the viewers since everyone's tastes differ
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
Well, ultimately, the trailer is useless since it seems they simply dubbed the Japanese trailer. (which includes lines from episodes that haven't aired in Japan yet) So we'll be jumping into this blind beyond knowing who the cast is.

And congrats to the cast choices, but the only thing I care about as a consumer is that the voice fits and that the acting meets standards. New blood is always a risk, even if it does make the project stand out. I can only hope my uneasiness will prove unwarranted. We'll see in less than a week.
Icehawk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:32 am Reply with quote
The voices sound decent but I was hoping for they would get someone with a good british accent for Elias, oh well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2