• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Black Clover

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
Srsly makes me wonder how they could give a pass to such VA.

You do realize that's how he was directed to act, don't you? Young Asta sounds the same, even though he is voiced by a different VA.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
BlackPoint. wrote:
Srsly makes me wonder how they could give a pass to such VA.

You do realize that's how he was directed to act, don't you? Young Asta sounds the same, even though he is voiced by a different VA.

I know that.... thats why it makes me wonder even more how they could like such voice....
AholePony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
The voice ain't great but what really grates my ears is the speech pattern itself. Every yell is at the end of a sentence and it's super unnatural. He's basically singing every line.

Real life: "GREAT! Now I have to go to the store because you ATE All THE DAMN SALT"

Asta: "Great! Now I have to go to the STOOOOOORE. Because you ate all of the damn SAAAAAAAALT".

Multiply a pattern like that 10 sentences in a row and it just makes me what to die listening to it. Add in his weird vocal tone and it just compounds the issue.
Peebs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I love the manga. It's one of the few titles I look forward to reading every week. So far I'm enjoying the current arc and I know Asta will win in the end.

In my head I always heard Murase Ayumu as Asta. Although, to be fair I'm comparing Hinata to Asta in looks. His voice would've been perfect. Even when Hinata yelled, his voice didn't grate. The acting is not created in a vacuum and it's really coming from the director. It's a poor execution choice.

I also think that they should've combined both episodes 2 and 3 into one episode. As it is, we got a filler right off the bat. At least it feels like a filler and like Sam said, a way to acquaint ourselves with the main leads, spoiler[although at some point Yuno goes off with his squad and we only see him sporadically, if at all. This is Asta's story, not Yuno's.]

This may be the first ironic watching I do. I'm gonna tough it out. That is until I get enough of watching Luck and Finral who are my favorites in the anime, Asta being my favorite in the manga.
pikabot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
Welp if it isn;t doing too well at the moment...Wait until Perriot hit it up with dem FILLER ARCS!

The funny thing is, this is the rare case where filler arcs could be a good thing, since one of the main problems with the series is that Yuki Tabata jumps straight from setup to payoff with nothing happening in between, causing the payoff to be deeply lackluster at best. I don't think the adaptation CAN fix that without adding in filler.

One thing that reviewers are consistently failing to mention about the anime is that the direction is not....good. I've seen worse, but the blocking on a lot of scenes makes no sense, and there's a bunch of weird edits that are just baffling. My favorite is when, in the first episode, they do the someone-walks-in-front-of-the-bad-guy-and-they-vanish-spookily shot...only to immediately cut to a regular shot of the villain walking out the door like a normal person. Like, what? What the heck are you going for, here?

FInally, I find the line - often repeated in reviews - that Black Clover can be a good introduction to shonen for young people who haven't seen much of it...kind of condescending? Like, yeah, it can do that, but there's nothing about it that actually makes it good at being an entry-level shonen series. There's no particular reason why it would be more accessible than another, better series, its flaws are just less visible. All you're saying is that kids won't realize how derivative it is because they haven't experienced the stuff it's shamelessly apeing. And, yeah, that might strictly speaking be true...but that's not exactly a great reason to recommend it. Even entry-level readers/watchers deserve better than this.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:56 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Oh, and Naruto didn't have NO ability to become a ninja. Asta is much more like Rock Lee than Naruto in that respect.

Yes, there are similarities in the Asta-Yuno relationship to the Naruto-Sasuke one, but I don't think they're as close as some are making it out to be.

But they're not as distant as others are making it out to be either. You can't deny the similarities, and they're pretty fundamental to the characters.

Also, let's not forget the powerful demon apparently lurking inside Asta. So Asta doesn't have NO ability either. I won't be surprised if it turns out his magic was sealed up before he was abandoned. (manga readers, this is NOT your cue to jump in and tell me I'm wrong on that speculation, ok? It's just a speculation, so allow me to continue on in my blissful ignorance, thank you)
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:30 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I got very mixed thoughts on this show...

The pacing is very slow at the moment and I can't find the characters likable, especially Asta. Not to mention, his voice is really irritating to ears to listen to when he yells. Going to keep my expectations low for rest of the show. It's quite underwhelming so far .

A bit confused as to why you're writing this as if you're new to this series Stark. I know you read the manga already and are caught up.

Anyway, my expectations were never high for this show since I had heard how average it was from several manga readers(though obviously I still like to judge things for myself). The fact that Pierrot is choosing to make this 51 episodes and so far have made the first 3 episodes 50% filler(Episode 3 was all anime original) doesn't necessarily bode well for the future of this adaptation either. There are 130 chapters currently, so we don't need a bunch of nonsense padding and filler. Boku no Hero did just fine doing 2 chapters an episode with a few anime original additions sprinkled in here and there, so I see no reason as to why Black Clover can't do the same thing. Hopefully that's what they start doing because the show is already losing people and the ratings are much lower compared to most SJ titles, especially considering how the anime just started. I can't recall the last time a series from SJ got this kind of negative reaction to it this early.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I have not read the manga yet (just never got around to it) and when I heard the anime was coming out I figured I would check it out first as anime is usually less enjoyable if you have read the manga first. So far I'm sorta meh about it, I don't hate it but it doesn't exactly excite me either. What really makes me apprehensive is studio Pierrot and Shounen J sort of trying to force this series to be the next big hit, whether people like it or not. I read that Shounen J basically said it was going to be the next Naruto. They don't decide that, the fans do.

As for studio Pierrot, I still remember what happened to twin star exorcist, I absolutely loved the manga, and absolutely despised the anime apart from a few select episodes (the few that actually stuck to the original story). Granted, Black Clover has a lot more material to work with than TSE so you can't make a direct comparison, and Pierrot HAS made some good series in the past (tokyo ghoul, at least the first season, and yona).

I think I'll take a break from this and let some more episodes come out and catch up on it later, especially if it's going to be a long term series. That way I can skim through any scenes I feel bored with and get more of the good ones at once.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
What exactly was Yūki Tabata thinking when he created Black Clover? I mean, seriously. The parallels between Asta and Yuno are WAY too like Nauto and Sasuke.

Yuno is a super smart and reliable boy with a cold demeanor, and everyone has high regards for him. People treat him as though he were the best of the best. Much like Sasuke.

Asta, on the other hand, is the town’s magic-less wonder. He’s beyond stupid, constantly hitting on a woman who doesn’t love him and everyone mocks him about his next to impossible dream of becoming a respected authority figure. Nobody believes he can do anything. Just like Naruto.

And on top that: they’re rivals. Confused

This whole series has predictability written all over it.

i would NOT go that far. sure their rivals, but its not as radioactive or toxic as with naruto and saskue. in my estimate, its more or less a toned down version of academia's deku and bakugo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
The voice ain't great but what really grates my ears is the speech pattern itself. Every yell is at the end of a sentence and it's super unnatural. He's basically singing every line.

Real life: "GREAT! Now I have to go to the store because you ATE All THE DAMN SALT"

Asta: "Great! Now I have to go to the STOOOOOORE. Because you ate all of the damn SAAAAAAAALT".

Multiply a pattern like that 10 sentences in a row and it just makes me what to die listening to it. Add in his weird vocal tone and it just compounds the issue.

Yeah, that trill effect on his voice held at the end of his lines is really grating, and I've only skimmed through the episodes.

Skimming through the OVA, I have to wonder why they just didn't stick with that VA. Sounds much more normal.

Oh well, if it doesn't settle in a few eps there's always the manga to enjoy Smile
Niello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:01 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Yami's appearance. Now I can finally enjoy this show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
After three episodes of "meh" it was nice to actually get into an episode of Black Clover. My enthusiasm has definitely been juiced up. Oops, I mean my enthusiasm has definitely been juiced UP! Know what I MEAN?! You probably DO!
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
You can enjoy BC as long as you don't expect it to be unique or break the shounen mold. I also don't mind some of the filler like in episode 4 since it adds to the world building and characterization which the manga lacked.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I loved it and since I read the manga I am pumped up for the upcoming scene battle that will be lit as fudge Anime smile
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
The end of episode 4 was enough to keep me on board for at least a little while longer. I was afraid they were going to do the typical thing and make the battle an elaborate affair that would stretch for most of the next episode but nope, wham bam thank you ma'am and it's over in seconds in dramatic fashion! Seeing the brother be genuinely pleased over it was a nice touch, too.

I'm actually now anticipating the next episode, as I'm curious to see how the squad captains react to what Asta did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 25