• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 13 Terrifying Anime You Can Stream for Halloween This Year

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
I'm sad to see that Jigoku Shoujo was not on this list, possibly under the 'Short Stories' category as many of those episodes feature single episode stories. I always thought it was extremely creepy when Ai would ask the victim if they "care to try dying for once". Some of the episodes were really well done, particularly those talking about Ai's past. It's definitely my go-to Halloween anime.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
*See list and genre*

Disappointed that Blood+, Phantom Blood, Blood-C (as bad as it was the gore was fine), Ghost Hunt, Ghost Hound, King of Thorn weren't included. But The Lost Village was? I enjoyed those, the atmosphere they created were scary. Though Shiki creates a better abnormal environment better than Blood+ since the latter is more of a slasher/monster hunting genre. I haven't watch Yamishibai yet but Ghost Hunt/Hound should have been at least honorable mentions. The hall way scene jump scare from Ghost Hound still gives me the chill.

Oh and it really bugs me that Vampire genre is here but no zombie flicks?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
No zombie love? Well, I mean that figuratively as anime, being what it is, has literal zombie love examples...

No, what I refer to is School Live, a zombie premise seen through the guise of anime as opposed to High School of the Dead which is horror genre exploitation seen through the eyes of anime exploitation. I wouldn't say High School of the Dead is bad, I'd say it's very bad and intentionally so. School Live on the other hand is very nice... and essentially Dawn of the Dead set in a Japanese high school.

Now that I think about it, that really should be High School of the Dead's plot but that's more a case of "leaving the secure single location" rather than fortifying it.

Anyways... brains... Wait, none of these zombies talk and they don't run either. Romero's Dawn of the Dead for the win. Though I still prefer Night of the Living Dead though as it's more focused over a single night, a single location.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what it means to have a genre like isekai or monster girls that is among the most liked, most disliked, and most ambivalent.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Demon prince Enma was a pretty good horror title.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Higurashi and Shiki are my top two favorites out of this list and would recommend them to anybody who’s interested in anime and also isn’t very squeamish to the genre.

*Sees Most Disliked*

Yeah, I’m not surprised at that at all. For me, I don’t mind little sisters as a whole (They aren’t my favorite, but not something I dislike), but there are some that do things that are a little too much for me. I can totally understand it being not liked much as it can make many uncomfortable. (For what it’s worth here, my preferred little sisters are Hikigaya Komachi and Mikan Yuki.)
Merxamers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Shiki is one i've heard about; i figure i'll check it out sometime soon. I watched through all of Higurashi last year, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I actually read the manga first (the first 6 volumes, which cover the first 3 arcs), so it was interesting comparing the two. I'm grateful there was a second season, which actually explained what was going on and wrapped up the whole plot nicely.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Blood-C (as bad as it was the gore was fine)

Blood-C was hot garbage in every conceivable way; the gore doesn't make watching it any easier.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Gender didn't really make much of a difference in last week's poll.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Color me surprised that so called Male Idols are liked and disliked by females, guess that trend already reached a saturation level.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Another title that I think is worthy to bring up here is Ghost Hunt, which would probably most easily slide into the same Short Stories category as Hell Girl. Its four-episode arc "The Bloodstained Labyrinth" still stands to my mind as the most effective horror story I've ever seen in anime.

If you want to go the intense gore factor route then you also can't go wrong with Corpse Party.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Color me surprised that so called Male Idols are liked and disliked by females, guess that trend already reached a saturation level.

Well, i generally don't mind watching pretty boys sing and dance, but 90% of these shows are generic as hell. Still, the genre seems to be popular enough in Japan.

Those poll results are surprisingly boring, though.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I love Yamishibai. My favorite episodes are "Next Floor" and "Hair" from season one. Though it's low budget and more of a slideshow than an anime the stories can be quite creepy and atmospheric.

I wish there was more horror anime overall though, I've already seen every show on the list as well as most of the ones mentioned in the thread so far. I hope that upcoming Junji Ito series is good!
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I just want isekai to end. Now.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Isn't a legal streaming option that I know of, but shout out to Kenji Nakamura's Mononoke. Don't think there's another anime that uses ambient sounds so effectively, not to mention the rest of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3