• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Looking for Barefoot Gen 3 and 6, as they seem to be obscenely expensive on Amazon UK and eBay.

I shall keep an eye out for you then! The hipster bookstore downtown may have them (they'd be full price, but want me to check anyway?), they have had them in the past at least (like I said, hipster bookstore. so they won't get in the latest One Piece book, but they will get in the latest One Peace book, eh, eh? And Fantagraphics and Viz's weirder more hipster titles, especially if it's an hardcover or something)
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good. I don't mind paying full retail but the last copy of volume 3 I saw on eBay was listed for £93... I offered £10 and it was immediately declined...
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote
No luck Sad but I will keep an eye out for you anyway!
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
The US manga market is a nightmare to get into. Do you guys ever run reprints?

After years, I'm mostly done with my search. Aside from a few books that are still in print (thank god!), I only need 2 more copies of 'Wandering Son' now. Those are insanely expansive. It's even more frustrating than that, as the series appears to be canceled. 2015, there were tweets stating it may come back in 2017, but that never happened, so ...

Also, what's up with DMP? I had hoped to buy some of their kickstarted books later on, but they never appear on their shop page. Do they not print extras anymore? (Not listing their books on amazon results in ridiculous shipping fees for overseas shipments, it's a nightmare on top of a nightmare.)
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
I would perhaps try asking DMP, but yeah, they've been nestled in a little corner of the internet lately. I was lucky that I was able to get Itazura na Kiss 11 and 12 from their website (one for me, one for another user from the UK), because now it looks like even those are oop. They say they print extras for their Kickstarter runs (in part because I highly doubt a quantity of "63" would be acceptable for any printer, but also to replace anything, should something go wrong), but they're pretty damn slow on updating Akadot at times.

As for Wandering Son, I, fortunately, bought those as they came out, but it really is a shame that's out of print and never finished. The translator herself is trans, so I'm thinking she would really want to continue translating it for publication, but I'm guessing Fantagraphics has the final say on that. Also, she recently translated Otherworld Barbara, which Fantagraphics put out in giant books, but maybe now that that's done, there's a possibility to go back to Wandering Son, I'd hope? I'd even be ok with 2-in-1s for the rest of WS. Maybe if Sweet Blue Flowers does well, Viz would be able to license rescue it and re-release it or something?

And things do get reprints all the time, but they tend to be things that are already selling super well, like One Piece (just look at the inside cover of an early volume and it might say something like "16th printing", or maybe a much lower number for a not as popular, but still doing well series). Some older series have at least gotten digital versions put out after the physical ones went out of print (like Firefighter Daigo or Twin Spica). When I hunt for out of print stuff, I tend to get lucky with used stores around me sometimes or I'll wait and stake something out online until I get lucky. Still, while it's nice that any new manga fan could get One Piece at any time, it's a shame that older works might get forever hidden away.

Sometimes, something older getting a new anime can result in a reprint. Parasyte was heading on its way out of print until it got an anime announced, and then you bet Kodansha put that back into print really quickly (and then even published two anthology collections recently). I'm currently hoping the same thing might happen with Banana Fish from Viz.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
Which country are you in, Coup? I might be able to find some volumes of Wandering Son in the bookstores near me and send them on.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

As for Wandering Son, I, fortunately, bought those as they came out, but it really is a shame that's out of print and never finished. The translator herself is trans, so I'm thinking she would really want to continue translating it for publication, but I'm guessing Fantagraphics has the final say on that. Also, she recently translated Otherworld Barbara, which Fantagraphics put out in giant books, but maybe now that that's done, there's a possibility to go back to Wandering Son, I'd hope? I'd even be ok with 2-in-1s for the rest of WS. Maybe if Sweet Blue Flowers does well, Viz would be able to license rescue it and re-release it or something?

It's obvious that Rachel Matt Thorn cares about the series, no doubt. Her translations and editing are fantastic. She also did Banana Fish, which I own, thank god. Good luck on a reprint, I'm looking forward to the anime myself.

Quote:
And things do get reprints all the time, but they tend to be things that are already selling super well, like One Piece (just look at the inside cover of an early volume and it might say something like "16th printing", or maybe a much lower number for a not as popular, but still doing well series). Some older series have at least gotten digital versions put out after the physical ones went out of print (like Firefighter Daigo or Twin Spica). When I hunt for out of print stuff, I tend to get lucky with used stores around me sometimes or I'll wait and stake something out online until I get lucky. Still, while it's nice that any new manga fan could get One Piece at any time, it's a shame that older works might get forever hidden away.

Yeah, that was a bit of a hyperbole on my part, but most readers can get their 'One Piece' in their own, native language easy enough, it's those weirder, less known manga that never seem to stick around. As I said, I'm monstly done buying older releases and can focus on buying them as they come, and it's great. It takes out so much stress from collecting.
Digital doesn't really do it for me, though I can see that that's better than nothing. To me, it doesn't feel like I "own" the manga at all.

st_owly wrote:
Which country are you in, Coup? I might be able to find some volumes of Wandering Son in the bookstores near me and send them on.

That'd be Germany. It's vol. 2 and 3 I'm still missing. I got really lucky on vol. 1, and everything else was easy.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Gibt es keine Deutsch Übersetzung von Wandering Son?

I'll check the comic shop for you when I go there for myself on the 2nd. Shipping to Germany shouldn't be too expensive from the UK.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Gibt es keine Deutsch Übersetzung von Wandering Son?

I'll check the comic shop for you when I go there for myself on the 2nd. Shipping to Germany shouldn't be too expensive from the UK.

Nö ^^° LGBT+ Themen beschränken sich hier leider immer noch hauptsächlich auf BL und GL. We're not too forward in that regard. There's also the odd gender-bender series here and there, but that's it.

That would be very kind, thank you.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
Es gab nur die Bände 5, 7 und 8 Sad Ich werde der andere Buchladen überprüfen.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:29 am Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for looking, though.
I could really bite myself for not getting them earlier. (But don't we all, with one series or another?)
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:12 am Reply with quote
I managed to snatch vol. 2 for retail price :3

*edit* I also got vol. 3! Not for retail price this time, but not as bad as those prices on amazon, either. T'was the only one I couldn't get for retail price, so all's well.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Has anybody happen to come across a copy of Phoenix Vol. 2 that doesn't go for an absurd amount of money? I got lucky and found most of the series at a used bookstore I visit occasionally and it's the only volume I'm missing.

Also: if anybody happens to need Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service Vol. 6, Saint Seiya (Knights of the Zodiac) Vol. 5 or To Terra... Vol. 3, let me know! I either have them or have easy access to them via a friend.
PandoraBox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:20 am Reply with quote
I also have 'can't find manga' problem, but that's not because of the location. I've read too much of it and now all plots are similar and it seems that all manga of my favorite genre (zombies or post-apocalypse) are already read by me.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:54 am Reply with quote
Trying to find the lost Japanese volume 5 of Johji Manabe's Drakkun series. Dark Horse never adapted volume 5 of the manga. So the conclusion of the series can only be found in volume 5 of the Japanese manga.

Drakuun: Dragon Princess Army (5 volumes, 1995–2003, Kadokawa Shoten) - Wikipedia

Here in Hiroshima right now. Having no luck. Most used book stores don't have that much manga, and especially not from the turn of the century. Probably have to go to Akihabara to have a chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 75 of 76