• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Touhou 16, 15.5 Games Get Steam Release in 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
For anybody who is unfamiliar with this series' main installments, they are all really great games, with both a low barrier to entry (if you've played any NES or SNES 2D shooters, you'll have no trouble hitting the ground running) and extremely challenging Hard modes that rely almost 100% on player skill rather than randomization.

Don't let the fact that there are so many installments intimidate you, either: every game is relatively self-contained story-wise, and games 1-5 (the ones that were released on the PC-98, before the series moved to Windows 95) aren't considered canonical anyway, so if you wanted to start at the "beginning", you'd only have to go back to 6.

Also, if you're just interested in the story, Seven Seas is putting out the first volume of their English-language release of Forbidden Scrollery later this month.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:28 am Reply with quote
I think everyone should give one of the main Touhou games a try (any of the modern ones will do, but they are each special in their own way).

ZUN deserves more actual success financially from western fans and hopefully this move will finally let them support the games and world he's built over the years.

I got into Touhou from being a fan of arcade shooters in the 90s, so I always loved the original games for their gameplay and beautiful design (character art aside Wink ).
The punishing difficulty is optional too. In my opinion anyone can beat the games on Normal with enough practice. Hard and Lunatic will always be there for an extra challenge though Wink.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Hell yes, I think this is great! I will be getting these for sure!!
Aldnox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
For anybody who is unfamiliar with this series' main installments, they are all really great games, with both a low barrier to entry (if you've played any NES or SNES 2D shooters, you'll have no trouble hitting the ground running) and extremely challenging Hard modes that rely almost 100% on player skill rather than randomization.
The games are kinda meh (with the one being released on Steam being one of the worst). Neither Hard or Lunatic are extremely challenging. And Touhou games are very random, in some games like EoSD many world record pace runs have died purely due to bad RNG.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1