• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Just Because!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:08 am Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
Yeah I had to reread that a few times because I figured I had the character names mixed up. Wasn't her crush the entire point of the "I'll kill you" thing from episode 1? Eita saw her mooning over Haruto in middle school and put 2 and 2 together and when he cornered her on it she said she'd kill him if he told anyone. Or did my brain make all that up?

No, that's correct. Not sure how Nick didn't see that earlier.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:50 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
AholePony wrote:
Yeah I had to reread that a few times because I figured I had the character names mixed up. Wasn't her crush the entire point of the "I'll kill you" thing from episode 1? Eita saw her mooning over Haruto in middle school and put 2 and 2 together and when he cornered her on it she said she'd kill him if he told anyone. Or did my brain make all that up?

No, that's correct. Not sure how Nick didn't see that earlier.

Yes, but seriously who has a crush and does ABSOLUTLY NOTHING about it for 4 years? I think Nick was suggesting that Natsume had got over her crush initialy but what is actualy being protrayed is that Natsume is just gutless and HAS done nothing for 4 years.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Yes, but seriously who has a crush and does ABSOLUTLY NOTHING about it for 4 years? I think Nick was suggesting that Natsume had got over her crush initialy but what is actualy being protrayed is that Natsume is just gutless and HAS done nothing for 4 years.

But wasn't Haruto interested in another girl back then too? IIRC, in the scene where Eita notices Natsume looking at Haruto and she threatens him not to tell Haruto, Haruto is talking to another girl. I think its quite possible that her situation has been much like it has been, with Haruto clearly interested in someone else, and in that situation, I can see why she wouldn't make a move. I don't know when he became interested in Hazuki, but at least a good chunk of that time had to overlap with that.

Personally, I've never sat on a crush that long (unless I realized they were unavailable or they became unavailable), but let's just say I didn't have much success on that front and therefore I can see why someone would be more cautious.
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Yes, but seriously who has a crush and does ABSOLUTLY NOTHING about it for 4 years?

Me Anime cry
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:24 am Reply with quote
^ Me too. The reason being less fear of being turned down and more people like those girls who saw Haruto and Hazuki going off. Once I realized it was impossible to have any privacy concerning your love life, I opted for never having one.

Quote:
The fact that his crush on Hatsuki Hazuki was prompted by something as emotionally distant as her trumpet-playing makes sense; Haruto doesn't really know Hatsuki Hazuki, and he can barely hold a conversation with her. His crush is cute, but it doesn't reflect any meaningful emotional bond with Hatsuki Hazuki.

While that may be true, I submit that falling for her music and support for his team are less distant and more meaningful than being handed an eraser.

Anyway, as much as I love Haruto, I'm afraid I'm outta here. There's every sign that the camera cow will have more screen time and not less from here on, and I despise her bones. Sorry, Haru, hate wins this time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:34 am Reply with quote
Come on, Gina Szanboti, everybody knows you have the hots for me. Tell the truth and shame the devil. Wink
Saidah Gilbert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
where Eita's newfound perspective allowed him to see his mother as a fellow person and actually ask her how she felt about her own work.

Wasn't it Haruto walking his mother home in this scene?

Quote:
Eita might have finally eclipsed his high school attitude, but it doesn't look like high school is done with him—with both Mio and Hazuki planning on confronting him,

And here isn't it also Haruto they're planning to talk to?
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
^Yup, it was definitely Haruto in both cases and i am usually bad with names. But how could anyone ever forget best boy's name?! Sad I guess Nicks more into the broody type, eh? Wink

It was good to see a different side of Hazuki this time. She came across as almost unnaturally mature for her age before, so it was nice to see that she's also still an insecure teenager deep down inside.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Saidah Gilbert wrote:
Quote:
where Eita's newfound perspective allowed him to see his mother as a fellow person and actually ask her how she felt about her own work.

Wasn't it Haruto walking his mother home in this scene?

Quote:
Eita might have finally eclipsed his high school attitude, but it doesn't look like high school is done with him—with both Mio and Hazuki planning on confronting him,

And here isn't it also Haruto they're planning to talk to?

Fixed...I think. If the names are still wrong here, tell me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I'm a big fan of Hazuki's plan to re-reject Haruto - only in a more thoughtful manner this time - especially since her request to talk to him is only likely to get his hopes up that maybe she's changed her mind.

I still disagree with Nick's insistence that Eita "confessed" to Mio in episode 4. It seemed pretty clear that Eita was wondering if Mio even noticed whether or not he tipped his hand about his feelings for her and Mio's desire to smooth over their encounter seems to be stemming from a feeling that she was a little to harsh in telling him it was none of his business as opposed to wanting to assuage his feelings over being "rejected."
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or has the visual and artistic quality of the show dropped like a rock these couple of episodes? It wasn't spectacular to begin with....
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Is it just me, or has the visual and artistic quality of the show dropped like a rock these couple of episodes? It wasn't spectacular to begin with....

It's hard not to notice how the production is struggling. I admire their ambition, and I would love to see what they can do with enough time and resources to fulfill their vision, but their reach is clearly exceeding their grasp. I still like the characters and the story but I don't know if I can rate it quite as highly as I was before.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm not noticing any signs of the production struggling. It would be helpful if people who feel this way could point to some specific examples.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not noticing any signs of the production struggling. It would be helpful if people who feel this way could point to some specific examples.

Like Nick mentioned in the review, they've cut down on the character animation and as mentioned earlier in the thread, the director went on a tantrum on Twitter complaining about how he was struggling with the project and things were getting behind schedule. I rewatched the episode, and while I did notice some rough looking far shots (such as at 9:03 to 9:09) and a sequence where Haruto's hairline seemed to shift around (4:28 to 4:30), I don't know that it is at a point where it will be obvious to all that it is struggling just from the visuals yet. If Amazon was more transparent about streaming times, we might have been able to tell from that angle as well.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Those sound like pretty minor things. Certainly not enough to support the contention that the production is struggling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6