• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE Streams Classic Mecha Anime Space Runaway Ideon

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I watched this show; I remember liking some parts of it. I should rewatch it now that I am subscribed to HIDIVE.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, more classic anime hidden behind a paywall. If I'm going to pay for Ideon, I want it on discs, not some terrible stream from a service almost nobody uses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Now even more people can be bored by it. The Be Invoked movie is actually pretty good and you can see why it was a big influence on the End of Evangelion but the TV series... Well, it's basically just a duller version of Mobile Suit Gundam in a lot of ways. You can understand why it got canceled.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow, more classic anime hidden behind a paywall. If I'm going to pay for Ideon, I want it on discs, not some terrible stream from a service almost nobody uses.

I'm glad this show's finally getting a North American release in some capacity but it definitely would be nice to get a physical release.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
So let's see...Ideon, Xabungle, Dunbine, L-Gaim...it looks like all the major non-Gundam Tomino shows from the 80's are now officially subtitled/are being subtitled. L-Gaim was of course up on Daisuki for all of two seconds, so it'd be nice if Hidive or somebody gets that back.

Either way, I am definitely hoping this means we can get discs of these shows at some point. Dunbine in particular just came out on Blu-ray in Japan not long ago.

Ideon really is quite good, some of the later episodes being particularly riveting, and Be Invoked lives up to its reputation. There is a segment of episodes about midway through where more or less the same plot gets played out for a while, but once you've passed that it's great.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't see a lot of people paying for another anime streaming service to watch a mecha show from the 1980's. Also there is something a bit irritating about Sentai Filmworks putting their new shows on Anime Strike and than turning around and putting all their other shows on HIDIVE.
russ869

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I think I might actually be willing to pay to stream Ideon if it was the HD bluray masters. Which it certainly looks like it isn't.

Kind of sad I missed out on my chance to buy the movies on JP BD. They seem very out of print now. Probably Yahoo Auctions or nothing.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
This is hands down one of my all-time favorite anime. I really do hope it gets a physical release over here eventually.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Wait, just the series?

Isn’t it the two films that are considered the classics?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Ideon is definitely my favorite of Tomino's mecha anime. I particularly enjoyed the fact that Be Invoked pulled no punches when it came to dealing with the unfortunate fates of its characters.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
This is amazing!

I'll try out HIDIVE again. I had a subscription in the past (right around when they started Xabungle) and I couldn't get anything to stream. I don't know if it was my device or what. Customer support couldn't figure it out either!

But still, this is really great! Ideon is fantastic.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

The way I look at it its better than it not being available legally at all or an Strike exclusive. The only flack I have is that its probably going to be 1 episode per week crap instead of a steady release of 4 episodes like LotGH. Also $3.99/mo isn't bad and the quality looks really good as well as the subs. They are timed neatly from what I viewed on Xabungle.

Only thing that is missing for me is a PS4 app, but they probably won't roll any out until after the Beta period which is taking quite an long time Confused

As for the OP news I've always wanted to watch this show and now I will be able to! Get bring them classic shows streaming services and Discotek!
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Wait, just the series?

Isn’t it the two films that are considered the classics?

2nd film and the series, yes.
1st film was the very definition of mediocre and rushed recap.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Made it three episodes before I couldn't stand the MC anymore. I so wanted to punch him in his face.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Made it three episodes before I couldn't stand the MC anymore. I so wanted to punch him in his face.

So you're saying that Tomino was the director?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2