• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Studio Ghibli Blu-ray Releases Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
GKIDS release

October 17th

Howl's Moving Castle Blu-ray/DVD
Quote:
Howl's Moving Castle includes an 8-page Booklet with essays from the producer, producer's statement and more.

Special Features: Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, Interview with Diana Wynne Jones, Miyazaki's Visit to Pixar, Explanation of CG, The Birth Story of the Film Soundtrack, Behind the Microphone

Howl's Moving Castle DVD
Quote:
Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, Interview with Diana Wynne Jones, Miyazaki's Visit to Pixar, Explanation of CG, and Behind the Microphone.

Kiki's Delivery Service Blu-ray/DVD
Quote:
Kiki's Delivery Service includes an 8-page Booklet with statements from the Producer and Director along with updated and corrected subtitles from past editions.

Special Features:Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, Ursula's Painting, Creating Kiki's Delivery Service, Producer's Perspective: Collaborating with Miyazaki, Behind the Microphone, The Locations of Kiki's Delivery Service, Kiki & Jiji, Flying with Kiki & Beyond.

Kiki's Delivery Service DVD
Quote:
This release of Kiki's Delivery Service includes updated and corrected subtitles from past editions.

Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, Ursula's Painting, Creating Kiki's Delivery Service, Producer's Perspective: Collaborating with Miyazaki, Behind the Microphone, The Locations of Kiki's Delivery Service, Kiki & Jiji, Flying with Kiki & Beyond

My Neighbor Totoro Blu-ray/DVD
Quote:
My Neighbor Totoro includes an 8-page Booklet with producer's and director's statements.

Special Features: Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, Behind the Microphone, Textless Opening and End Credits, Creating My Neighbor Totoro, Creating the Characters, The "Totoro" Experience, The Locations of My Neighbor Totoro, Producer's Perspective: Creating Ghibli

My Neighbor Totoro DVD
Quote:
Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, Behind the Microphone, Textless Opening and End Credits, Creating My Neighbor Totoro, Creating the Characters, The "Totoro" Experience, The Locations of My Neighbor Totoro, Producer's Perspective: Creating Ghibl

Ponyo Blu-ray/DVD
Quote:
Ponyo includes an 8-page Booklet with statements from the Director and Producer and lyrics.

Special Features: Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, The Five Geniuses Who Created Ponyo, Press Conference: Theme Song Announcement , Behind the Microphone Opening Event at Hibiya Scala-Za Theatre, Interview with Hayao Miyazaki, Interview with Toshio Suzuki, Theme Song Music Video, Hayao Miyazaki Press Conference at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan, Creating Ponyo, Ponyo & Fujimoto, The Nursery, Scoring Miyazaki, Producer's Perspective: Telling the Story, The Locations of Ponyo

Ponyo DVD
Quote:
Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, Behind the Microphone, Creating Ponyo, Ponyo & Fujimoto, The Nursery, Scoring Miyazaki, Producer's Perspective: Telling the Story, The Locations of Ponyo

Princess Mononoke Blu-ray/DVD
Quote:
Princess Mononoke includes an 8-page Booklet w Statements from the Producer and Director.

Special Features: Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, Princess Mononoke in USA, Behind the Microphone

Princess Mononoke DVD
Quote:
Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, Behind the Microphone

Spirited Away Blu-ray/DVD
Quote:
Spirited Away includes a 12-page Booklet with statements from the Producer and Director.

Special Features: Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, Behind the Microphone

Spirited Away DVD
Quote:
Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, Behind the Microphone, Nippon Television Special

October 31st

Castle in the Sky Blu-ray/DVD
Quote:
Castle in the Sky includes a 12-pg Booklet with statements from the Producers and Director and now features an additional English Language 5.1 Mix over the original synthesizer score.

Special Features: Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, Promotional Video, Behind the Microphone, Scoring Miyazaki, Producer's Perspective: Meeting Miyazaki, Creating Castle in the Sky, Textless Opening and End Credits, Character Sketches

Castle in the Sky DVD
Quote:
Castle in the Sky includes an additional English Language 5.1 Mix over the original synthesizer score.

Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, Promotional Video, Behind the Microphone, Scoring Miyazaki, Producer's Perspective: Meeting Miyazaki, Creating Castle in the Sky, Textless Opening and End Credits, Character Sketches

Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind Blu-ray/DVD
Quote:
Nausicaa contains a 12-pg Booklet with statements from the Producers and Director along with a more faithful transfer which keeps colors truer to the source material.

Special Features: Feature-Length Storyboards, "Original Theatrical Trailers" (5 trailers and TV spots), Audio Commentary with Hideaki Anno and Katayama, Interview with Toshio Suzuki and Hideaki Anno: "Nausicaa and Evangelion! The Whereabouts of the Giant Warrior?", Behind the Microphone: Join the filmmakers and cast behind the English-dubbed version of the film for an inside look at its creation, Creating Nausicaa

Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind DVD
Quote:
Nausicaa contains a more faithful transfer which keeps colors truer to the source material.

Special Features: "Original Theatrical Trailers" (5 trailers and TV spots), Behind the Microphone: Join the filmmakers and cast behind the English-dubbed version of the film for an inside look at its creation, Creating Nausicaa

November 21st

Porco Rosso Blu-ray/DVD
Quote:
Porco Rosso includes an 8-page Booklet with statements from the producer and director.

Special Features: Textless open and end credits, Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, Interview with Toshio Suzuki, Behind the Microphone

Porco Rosso DVD
Quote:
Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, Interview with Toshio Suzuki, Behind the Microphone, Textless Open and End Credits

The Secret World of Arrietty Blu-ray/DVD
Quote:
The Secret World of Arrietty includes an 8-page Booklet with art and producer's statement.

Special Features: Feature-Length Storyboards, Original Theatrical Trailers, Interview with Hiromasa Yonebayashi, Interview with Hayao Miyazaki, Arrietty's Song Music Video

The Secret World of Arrietty DVD
Quote:
Special Features: Original Theatrical Trailers, Arrietty's Song Music Video
Akaname

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
No more dubtitles for Kiki is reason enough for me to double dip.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 am Reply with quote
The Castle in the Sky entry says an additional English dub mix with synthesizer score. Does that mean we'll be getting the English dub with the orchestral score? And does anyone know if they are going to go with the edited dubs for Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky?

I was waiting to see what the extras were going to be before I committed. I was hoping for the booklets like they did with Up on Poppy Hill. Seems like these movies are in better hands with GKids
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Ugh...I just picked up all of the Disney releases in the sales of several months ago, so I guess now I have to figure out if any of them have anything worth double-dipping for. I wouldn't be watching in Japanese anyway, so whether the subs are dubtitles or not doesn't affect me much, but I'm curious about what that additional audio track for Castle in the Sky entails. And also the "more faithful transfer" for Nausicaa: I'd always been under the impression that Disney's version was pretty damn good-looking.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I will totally buy Kiki and Castle if they release the non-edited dub tracks (with the orchestral music). I avoided buying Disney's BDs because of those reasons. I would love to replace my old DVDs, but I'm not going to get rid of them until I have an equivalent on BD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
^ via TRSI (special features: TBD)

My Neighbors the Yamadas
- BD/DVD: https://www.rightstufanime.com/My-Neighbors-The-Yamadas-Blu-ray-DVD
Quote:
My Neighbors The Yamadas includes an 8-page Booklet with art and essays from the creative team.

- DVD: https://www.rightstufanime.com/My-Neighbors-The-Yamadas-DVD

The Cat Returns
- BD/DVD: https://www.rightstufanime.com/The-Cat-Returns-Blu-ray-DVD
Quote:
The Cat Returns includes an 8-page Booklet with art and essays from the creative team.

- DVD: https://www.rightstufanime.com/The-Cat-Returns-DVD

Whisper of the Heart
- BD/DVD: https://www.rightstufanime.com/Whisper-of-the-Heart-Blu-ray-DVD
​​​​​​​
Quote:
Whisper of the Heart includes an 8-page Booklet with art and essays from the creative team.

- DVD: https://www.rightstufanime.com/Whisper-of-the-Heart-DVD
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Ugh...I just picked up all of the Disney releases in the sales of several months ago, so I guess now I have to figure out if any of them have anything worth double-dipping for. I wouldn't be watching in Japanese anyway, so whether the subs are dubtitles or not doesn't affect me much, but I'm curious about what that additional audio track for Castle in the Sky entails. And also the "more faithful transfer" for Nausicaa: I'd always been under the impression that Disney's version was pretty damn good-looking.

If you're not interested in more accurate subtitles, then it's NOT worth it double-dipping.

I can't imagine Disney screwed up the HD video on their BD's. Disney Blu ray releases tend to be A-quality disc releases with a few notable exceptions including Disney's own Sword in the Stone Blu ray which is reported to be execrable quality... They just didn't remaster that film at all for HD. Very, very cheap disc release which is sad but Disney has been inconsistent with its classic animated feature releases for the past 5 years at least. The Disney classics had MUCH better presentations with excellent extras on DVD in the past. There's a whole deleted scene in the Lilo & Stitch 2-disc DVD release that wasn't included on the Blu ray release of that movie.

The big changes reported in online reviews are faster loading titles since GKids elected to use static menus instead of full-motion video like Disney did (which made the Disney discs load slower), more of the Japanese BD exclusives, and deletion of the more annoying Disney exclusives (including the intros where John Lasseter says Miyazaki is a close friend of his never mind the fact neither man speaks the other's native language!).

Oh, and the GKids/Shout Factory BDs have 8-page booklets which the Disney releases didn't have.

Shout Factory is the distributor for the new BDs. Universal Home Video distributed previous GKids releases of Ghibli films that weren't licensed or released in North America by Disney. I've noticed When Marnie Was There seems to be out of print now... It'll probably get a new print run of the BD in the future... I DID see the Marnie DVD release at Target today.

I've heard the conspiracy crap (and the usual complains about dubs but the Disney dubs for Ghibli titles are generally leaps and bounds above the average for English dubs in the anime industry) but the fact is that Disney home video got lazy with the subtitles and just used the dub script for as the basis for the subs. The more accurate sub translation in the end is the reason to pick up the new discs UNLESS you missed one release and can't find it on the market.
There's only a couple of titles that are really missing... The impression I got was there were a TON of unsold Blu rays which is why they got massively marked down over the summer. I picked up a few that I hadn't bought on sale at Best Buy as well so I have all the Disney Blu ray releases now. They went back up in price just before they got yanked off shelves. What happens to those copies, I don't know but the usual scalpers are going to find out quickly the savvy anime fans are NOT going to pay big bucks for the Disney editions with the GKids/Shout Factory releases coming out now.

BUT, there is one problem with the new releases.

They're just not showing up in stores! You can get them online but if you were counting on a brick store release, you're SOL.
I checked at three big chain releases -- Best Buy first, Target second, Wal-Mart -- and they only had two of today's releases at Target: Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. That was it... You can buy the rest online.

I was planning on only getting maybe three of them this week (probably Howl, Mononoke, and Totoro) but was disappointed that once again I couldn't get them in-store.

They may have all the releases at FYE but I wouldn't count on it. FYE has been getting worse on street date releases for anime lately, too...

Nowadays, you can't even find half the average week's anime releases in-store. It really has become a web-retail industry with some company's releases never showing up in-store unless you buy from an anime specialty store and those stores are farther and fewer between than even comic shops nowadays! i swear, a bunch of those business really survive doing the anime con circuit in additional to web retail.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed to hear the Disney releases, which I own, use dubtitles. I really can't justify double dipping to get better subtitles, even though I want them. Plus the booklets and more Japanese BD exclusives. Oh well.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
There is a couple of Ghibli movies I never got around to picking up on BD like Howls, Arrietty, The Cat Returns, Pom Poko, Tales from Earthsea and My Neighbors the Yamadas so I will be buying the GKids version of those. However, the only thing I will double or triple dip on (used to own original miramax DVD) is Princess Mononoke for the updated subtitles. I will gift my Disney BD copy to a family member.

Hmmm...
Nausicaa - has a newer video transfer and no hard-subbed dub credits. Tempting with newer video quality, but I think I can live with the Disney copy unless its astonishingly better.

Ponyo - they upgraded the quality of JP audio, but since its not a favorite I can again live with the Disney version.

Castle in the Sky - now has the original synth soundtrack. Again I can live with the Disney version.

Nothing else is tempting me to double/triple dip. At least so far on Amazon and a few other places some of the Ghiblis are starting with a cheaper street price than the Disney ones when those first came out.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I really wish GKids and Shout Factory would buy the rights to Grave of the Fireflies from Sentai and then proceed to release the entirety of the studio's main filmography in a collection--basically, the twenty feature films, plus Nausicaä and Ocean Waves. If they wanted to include their short films as supplements, that's fine, but the features are where it's at.

If they did that, I'd buy it. I like that they have a Miyazaki collection, but Miyazaki is not the only badass director at Ghibli.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Who knows how long Sentai has the license to Grave of the Fireflies?

The fact is that the DVD and Blu ray releases from CPM and Sentai for that film have been EXCELLENT, among the best of the Ghibli films released in the West.

What I'm more disappointed to see is that alternate English dub tracks were NOT included with the Disney releases including the original English dubs for My Neighbor Totoro (which is excellent and should have been re-released by Disney), Kiki's Delivery Service (by most reports NOT so good), Castle in the Sky (pretty sure this was dubbed before Disney did their dub), and the alternate English done for Secret of Arriety done around the same time as the Disney dub.
Apparently, GKids has not optioned the alternate dubs, either.
The original Streamline dub for My Neighbor Totoro is available on the tens of thousands of VHS, DVD, and laserdisc copies distributed by 20th Century Fox Home Video before the Totoro license passed onto Disney.

Disney didn't option Grave of the Fireflies for obvious reasons -- it didn't fit their family-friendly image. There were various reasons for passing on about 5 Ghibli features.
The Ghibli shorts will probably never get released outside of the Ghibli museum anytime soon since they're used as a revenue source to support the museum's operation
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
GKIDS / Shout! Factory

via Amazon:

- My Neighbor Totoro 30th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray / CD / Book) - $49.97 - 12/11/18
Quote:
The limited-edition set comes housed in an elegant hard slipcase and includes a new 40-page book with stunning art and essays. Featured in a deluxe disc portfolio will be a Blu-ray of the film paired with hours of special features, and the film’s soundtrack made available on CD for the first time in North America. The set’s 40-page book features new essays by The New York Times’ film critic A.O. Scott and film writer Lauren Wilford, alongside gorgeous art and statements from director Hayao Miyazaki and producer Toshio Suzuki, and more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7