• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - I Can't Believe I Fate The Whole Thing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
So essentially Sakura's charcter design got the same treatment as Tsubasa Hanekawa in the Kizumonogatari movie. I am a huge Fate/Stay Night fan so I'd see this if it was playing anywhere near me but the nearest place it's playing is Detroit and I can't drive. Here's hoping Anime Strike picks up the trilogy once it's complete.

Also nice to hear Shirou actually confronts and or does something about Shinji in the movie. I can see it being impenetrable to people who are not familiar with the franchise but you could just as easily watch a Lets Play of the Visual Novel or read a Wikipedia article on it and have a basic understanding of the franchise.

Also I've never understood why some Type Moon fans want to keep Fate this weird hermitic almost cult like thing admittedly the lore get really arcane in places though and I do enjoy that.
vision33r

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
It's Fate so the story never gets old or is over. The story gets retold so many different ways because it's essentially a forever never ending game.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I was at the premiere as well, and the scene that stuck out the most to me was spoiler[ when True Assassin was first summoned and killed Assassin, Caster, and Kuzuki. They were all important characters who were treated like legitimate threats before, but the way they were so quickly dispatched] stuck with me for the rest of the movie. I'm a huge Fate fan (I actually prefer Stay Night over Zero) but I haven't played the VN and was only spoiled for parts of HF, so that entire sequence left me on edge for most of the movie. In a lot of ways, HF actively subverts the other routes since it plays out really differently from Fate and UBW after the initial introductions. I think I enjoyed UBW's tone and style more, but HF was probably better with how heavily it plays with established expectations. I'm glad we don't have to wait too long for more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Niello

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
The Ancient Magus Bride is shounen. Land of the Lustrous is seinen. Both gets mistaken as shoujo...I don't get it.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see that Zac has come around to AMB. As much as I like the first three episodes, I have to agree with Zac that it has gotten better each episode and I hope it keeps going that way, though I agree with Jacob that the cat episodes have been the highlight so far.

While I'm still excited for Heaven's Feel, it was nice to hear some of the criticisms Zac and Jacob had for the movie so that I can meter my expectations, story-wise (visually I've only heard good things). My top 5 anime movies may still be safe despite this late late entrant. Also, I don't think anyone has to worry about not getting in a packed screening, from what I've heard. I barely got a seat myself. Though on seeing to anime in the theaters, I wholeheartedly agree. Since I've moved to an area that regularly gets them, I've taken almost every opportunity that I could, and I haven't regretted it, and frankly it is a big reason why I like living where I do.

As for Apocrypha, while it has clearly been less high-minded than its predecessors, I've still enjoyed it. I don't think there has been an episode that didn't make me say "Already?" when it reaches the end. It was actually the part of the franchise that I most wanted to see after UBW aired, since the concept of a 7v7 grand war was so interesting. I do agree that they've made the factions much more ambiguous than what I'd read online about the series. I've only seen eight episodes so far, as I've been busy with paperwork for my new job and the new event for (the English version of) F/GO that started the day after. On Astolfo, let's just say I became very aware of their situation after seeing a fair amount of Fate fanart. I still like the character but they can't be a waifu for me, though if you feel that way, more power to you. Speaking of, I'm definitely a fan of Mordred. I actually got a figure of her a few years ago, without ever having read the book or anything, and if anything, the anime has made me like the character even more.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Would it be possible to get Jacob a chair that doesn't move? I found it to be rather distracting.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Would it be possible to get Jacob a chair that doesn't move? I found it to be rather distracting.

Sorry. I've always been a fidgeter. Sad
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I also thought it was interesting to hear Zac's change in opinion on AMB. The problems with the show he said he has now gotten past are some of the same problems that other people have not moved past. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, as is the case with any show. I do agree though that the cats episode was probably the best just because Chise started doing more things (even if she was kidnapped 2 more times.) Also, talking animals are virtually always a plus.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
@JacobC

Not a big deal, it was just that once I noticed, I couldn't un-notice the movement.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
For introducing someone to the Fate universe I would say that the Fate/stay night anime is currently the best way to go. It introduces everything that a person would need to know and it does it in a way that has a satisfying conclusion. Fate/Zero is a bit depressing by itself and the ending is inconclusive since it was designed to be a prequel. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works is a slow paced story that gets bogged down in philosophy and works better if you already know a lot about the characters.

Fate/Apocrypha might become the best way to introduce someone to the Fate universe. It has a lot of action, a good cast of characters, and an enjoyable story. Hopefully the second half of the season will turn out well.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Great podcast episode guys. Other than Fate/Zero, I am not a big fan of the Fate franchise, but I appreciated and had fun listening to your conversation; you even convinced me to check out Apocrypha. And I hope Ancient Magus' Bride continues to get better and remain being the best show of this season.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
After finishing what Netflix has of Apocrypha, I kind of wish it were simulcast. Not because I think it will do poorly on Netflix or because I was eager to see week to week discussion - not that the material wouldn't lend itself to that; It's just that I remember the last one to be reviewed weekly here - but rather because it would have livened up the last season a bit more. It wouldn't have been the best in the season, but it would still have been one to look forward to. Then again, having to wait a week for the next episode for at least some of them would have been tough. I guess we'll find out how Summer really stacked up after Netflix releases its other Summer pick next year - well, in a few months at least.
ShalaKairos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
I checked out of the library and read the actual story of Gilgamesh because of Fate. I knew he was a great powerful ruler and I wanted to see if the original had him as a womanizer. Turns out... yes... if anything, the anime toned him down.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Jake, yes, Wake Up, Girls! became a full-fledged disaster this week (episode 5), with maybe half the episode using various cheats to avoid animating anything. By the end of the episode, the camera parks on a shot of the exterior of the talent agency's office while an entire conversation inside is delivered by voice-over. I've been doing ANN-style weekly reviews over on my Tumblr, so head there for the ugly details.

As for Fate, I am really not a fan of this franchise, mostly due to its fans. I gave Fate/Zero a try after the ANNCast a few years back but that first episode was a big "Nope!" for me.

But I am morbidly interested in the fiasco of the source visual novel still not having a legit English-language release. As much as ANN avoids directing people to fansubs and pirate anime, clearly that rule has been waived for the Fate VN, because what are you supposed to do otherwise? (In theory, one can buy the VN legitimately from a source like amazon.jp and then apply the fan patch, but there's no way to know if people actually do this).

As Zac notes, a Kickstarter for the VN would be huge, but also utterly unneccessary: there's clearly immense demand for this franchise, hardly the kind of risky venture that needs up-front crowdfunding. If you want to speculate on how much a Fate KS would raise, consider that the top English VN Kickstarters are Muv-Luv ($1,255,444), Clannad ($541,162), and the Grisaia trilogy ($475,256). If you figure that, say, Fate is at least five times more popular than Muv-Luv (and that's surely an understatement), then a Fate KS would raise something in the $5-10 million range. The problem with this analysis, IMO, is that Muv-Luv was an outlier with a very high per-backer average ($159). This might be because that campaign was a once-in-a-lifetime shopping spree for fans of Muv-Luv, which basically has no merch available in the West whatsoever. Compare to Fate, for which every day I'm getting an email from the Crunchyroll Store offering a new Saber figure, and it kind of begs the question of what a Fate Kickstarter could offer other than the VN itself. And in that case, you'd probably see lower per-backer average pledges, though of course multiplied by a much larger number of backers. Anyways, fun to speculate about, that's for sure.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Just a super tiny nitpick, there were at least 3 instances of Jacob expressing something using his body/face/hands with no audible explanation. For example, how Shirou was super inexpressive(easy enough to grasp through audio-only) and how much he liked Apocrypha in comparison to other Fate series, from what I could gather, probably using his hands(impossible to understand through audio-only). If you could accompany those kinds of things with some audible explanation it would be very helpful to me and anyone else who listens audio-only. I really wish I could check out the video every week, but my listening time is almost always at work, or during my commute, where that's not an option.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2