• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon's Best Graphic Novels of 2017 List Includes Twilight Princess, My Lesbian Experience Wi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
So, two "real life"/"true art"/"high-brow" things (e.g. based on subject matter that appeals to critics), and one "Oh, I guess this is what manga is?" thing (based on a video game).

Nothing along the lines of an artist like Kaoru Mori or Natsume Ono, even. Nothing along the lines of the sorts of things from a magazine like G Fantasy (complex mystery stories with gorgeous art). Even a more sophisticated shonen thing along the lines of Fullmetal Alchemist would have felt like recognition of something.

I've heard that these Zelda manga are actually good, so nothing against them. But the fact that only one non-Western fantasy thing was chosen sends the message that fantasy stories are not acceptable, unless they're post-apocalyptic or superheroes (which Link might as well be, tbh).

So basically, three series that are the same as Western media. None of the glamour fantasy that makes anime/manga/otaku media really worthwhile.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
The only one of these I've read is My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness, which I agree was very good. I own the first volume of Twilight Princess though and have My Brother's Husband on my Amazon wish list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
The only one of these I've read is My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness, which I agree was very good.

It really was! I think it deserved to win. It's the only one of these I've read.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:

So basically, three series that are the same as Western media. None of the glamour fantasy that makes anime/manga/otaku media really worthwhile.

You really might want to correct your statement to say none of it appeals to you
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
So, two "real life"/"true art"/"high-brow" things (e.g. based on subject matter that appeals to critics), and one "Oh, I guess this is what manga is?" thing (based on a video game).

Nothing along the lines of an artist like Kaoru Mori or Natsume Ono, even. Nothing along the lines of the sorts of things from a magazine like G Fantasy (complex mystery stories with gorgeous art). Even a more sophisticated shonen thing along the lines of Fullmetal Alchemist would have felt like recognition of something.

I've heard that these Zelda manga are actually good, so nothing against them. But the fact that only one non-Western fantasy thing was chosen sends the message that fantasy stories are not acceptable, unless they're post-apocalyptic or superheroes (which Link might as well be, tbh).

To be fair, most of their American picks are high brow, artsy, slice of life & actual memoirs. There are only 2 mainstream superheroes on the list--Black Panther and Wonder Woman (one for Marvel, one for DC). That's just the type of graphic novels they're choosing.
Łukasz Kawosz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
We all know why 2 of those 3 are so popular but i'm not going to mention why at risk of being called a bigot.

It's definitely not due to their artistic qualities.
wohdin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
fudge all you homophobic twats, My Neighbor's Husband is god-tier right alongside Miyazaki masterworks and if you disagree you simply have not read it.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:51 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
To be fair, most of their American picks are high brow, artsy, slice of life & actual memoirs. There are only 2 mainstream superheroes on the list--Black Panther and Wonder Woman (one for Marvel, one for DC). That's just the type of graphic novels they're choosing.

And it doesn't really require a lot of thinking to figure out why they picked those two series.
One was a recent big movie hit, and the other is the next MCU movie coming out. I'm just glad they didn't choose Black Panther & The Crew.

Editor's Picks and awards tend to favor the artsy, political, or unpopular. Not that surprising for their picks.

-Stuart Smith
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
fudge all you homophobic twats, My Neighbor's Husband is god-tier right alongside Miyazaki masterworks and if you disagree you simply have not read it.

Disagreeing with homosexuality doesn't necessarily you are homophobic. If you vote for laws or bills against, that label would be more apt.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
*looks at Lesbian story cover* Well, looks like I'm going to read that now, especially since ANN is allowing nipples to be shown.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1