• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Discusses Possible Super Mario Bros. Animated Film With Universal's Illumination

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Really wish it was a different studio. It seems like Illumination is really phoning it in lately since they know they easily draw big crowds so they don't put in much effort. Minions was average, Secret Life of Pets was fairly good but I was hoping for much funnier, and Despicable Me 3 was the weakest of the trilogy (it had a few good elements especially the villain, but man did Gru's brother add nothing of value). Sing was the only recent one they seemed to put some effort into, it had some heart and the cast did some really great song covers.

My only hope is Nintendo learned their lesson with the last Mario movie and will be making sure a lot of effort is put into this one, after all Blue Sky is another animation studio that usually phones it in but when they made The Peanuts Movie several of Charles Schulz's family members had the power to pull the plug if they felt the movie was going to be unfaithful so lo and behold we got a really solid movie that respects the original comics and cartoons.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
My only hope is Nintendo learned their lesson with the last Mario movie and will be making sure a lot of effort is put into this one

I agree. If the movie's gonna have dialogue, it needs to be better than the corny Super Mario Bros. Super Show! and the decent-but-still-corny Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World.

Quote:
after all Blue Sky is another animation studio that usually phones it in but when they made The Peanuts Movie several of Charles Schulz's family members had the power to pull the plug if they felt the movie was going to be unfaithful so lo and behold we got a really solid movie that respects the original comics and cartoons.

Maybe something similar will happen here. If Illumination dishes out a plot that's doesn't meet Nintendo's standards, the latter could probably pull the plug and say, "Okay, we're done."
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Illumination does seem like the right studio for a Mario movie. They understand what kids like and their movies have a modest budget which makes it more likely that the movie will be considered a success.
ICO44

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I kind of wish studio Trigger make Mario movie using this style.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
If there was an American studio I would trust to handle this (barring Disney/Pixar) it would be Titmouse.

The Venture Bros (Season 5-present)
Superjail (Season 2-4)
Hanazuki
Black Dynamite (Season 1)
China, IL
G.I. Joe:Resolute
Motorcity
Niko and the Sword of Light
Space Dandy episode 16
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
If there was an American studio I would trust to handle this (barring Disney/Pixar) it would be Titmouse.

Superjail (Season 2-4)
Hanazuki
China, IL
Motorcity
Space Dandy episode 16

Judging by those shows, I'm not sure how that would be a suitable studio.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:

Superjail (Season 2-4)
Hanazuki
China, IL
Motorcity
Space Dandy episode 16

If they had the greenlight to make a mature R rated or PG-13 Mario Bros movie, I wouldn't mind Titmouse handling the movie. I like their adult animations.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
T.J. Miller as Mario.
Haysey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:59 am Reply with quote
I really wish it had been a different studio. Despicable Me 3 was the worst film i saw all year (coupled with the fact the half full cinema of children barely laughed, most just cried or were so restless left before the film ended!) And there other efforts are just so dull/lazy (they're are a few video's about youtube explaining how little effort they put into animation to keep the costs down and the profit up)
All they have is the Minions, which they've been milking for 4 movies now.
I can't help but feel the Toads will be emulated as this movies Minions.
Not excited...but it might well be better then Sony's Sonic movie Shocked
valoon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
Hope this goes well and they make a Zelda movie afterwards
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
My only hope is Nintendo learned their lesson with the last Mario movie and will be making sure a lot of effort is put into this one

There is an underlying positive point here. Regardless of what happens, this new project will result in the greatest US-produced Mario motion picture ever, simply by default.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
valoon wrote:
Hope this goes well and they make a Zelda movie afterwards
I think that is what most older Nintendo fans really want but I am guessing this is partly a way to correct the mistake made with the 1993 movie which had little to do with Mario.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
If the movie's gonna have dialogue, it needs to be better than the corny Super Mario Bros. Super Show! and the decent-but-still-corny Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World.

Mario will still make the occasional comment about pasta and ravioli. It's true to his character. XD

An animated Super Mario movie could definitely be a smash hit, especially after Odyssey's success, but I imagine the real reservation with it is having the Mario crew speak full lines. I recall the reactions people had to the characters, save for Mario, speaking full lines in Super Mario Sunshine; they really disliked it. And Martinet has had Mario speak full lines in that press conference video advertising Sports Mix, so there's that as proof as to what that sounds like.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, they'll make the movie and do it RIGHT this time. We don't need another Mario In Name Only on our hands.

Of course, I'm open to the possibility of a grittier Mario movie where Mario is a plumber who does a lot of drugs. What if he's tripping out on magic mushrooms, acid, peyote, and other drugs; and everything we see in the games is just Mario hallucinating while high? Look at everything in the games. You have mushroom people, bipedal turtles, giant bullets, and all kinds of weird shit. Mario starts out small, then becomes Super Mario by taking a 'shroom. He's invincible and flashes in different colors when he grabs a star. He HAS to be high on something and Shigeru Miyamoto must have been on some good shit when he first came up with Super Mario Bros. I could see it working if the hallucinations were true to the games and you had a director who knew what they were doing. That could take Mario in a new direction.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2