• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amanchu! Manga by Aria's Amano Gets 2nd TV Anime Season Next April

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Good! I loved the ultra-violence, hyper-sexuality and dark, twisted themes of this show!

I kid, I kid. I did enjoy the laid back, soothing tone and look forward to more.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Amanchu somehow made watching kids play red light green light entertaining. This is good, unexpected news.

Now someone license the first season for a blu-ray release.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Hurray!!!!! This was an incredibly sweet show and I definitely look forward to more.

HueyLion wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:
Wow, I certainly wasn't expecting this. The first season sold in the 2k range, which would be considered disappointing even if the show weren't from the author and the director of the massively successful Aria franchise. I enjoyed it, though, and I'm glad that Junichi Sato and most of the main staff are back. Hopefully the production values will remain high.

Wow I guess when it comes down to who gets second season, sales r just one of the main reasons for it. If this could get a 2nd season, there is hope.

It's amazing to me that people are still surprised by things like this. BD sales are a relatively small part of the total revenue anime makes. 2.2k per volume is quite good these days though, for the record.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this season will finally reveal the origin of those school uniforms.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful news! I heard good things about this show, but unfortunately could never find the time for it. With this news, I’m now much more motivated to try to fit this show onto my schedule. I think that I’ll enjoy it, so looking forward to it. Very Happy
Kamijou Touma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
More Pikari and her wild faces. Count me in.
wastrel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I never would have dreamed it would get a second season. I'm so happy to have been wrong.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
"I'm on board" I said.

Then I spot Aya Suzaki will be in it.

"I am now in Hype Mode."
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Count me among the people who weren't expecting this. What a pleasant surprise!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Huh. Guess the low disc sales didn't really affect its chances. Sweet!

This is where it gets screwy. Series A can have low disc sales but can get so can Series B but it gets an additional season. I know that merchandise can play a factor in perhaps getting an additional season, but what else can?
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I know that merchandise can play a factor in perhaps getting an additional season, but what else can?

Popularity of the manga? In this case, maybe even just popularity of the mangaka? I have no idea how Amanchu's manga does, but that's certainly a thing.

Anyway, very surprising news. The first season kinda helped me out/motivated me back then, so it's one of the more meaningful anime for me.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
Maybe they're getting some extra support from the tourist board of the community? That is a minor trend going on these days. If nothing else, it is a SUPERB showcase of this coastal area. Gotta get that Mecca money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:
Huh. Guess the low disc sales didn't really affect its chances. Sweet!

This is where it gets screwy. Series A can have low disc sales but can get so can Series B but it gets an additional season. I know that merchandise can play a factor in perhaps getting an additional season, but what else can?

Popularity of the manga, and importantly, how much of an increase occurred during and around the period that the anime aired. Merchandise, of course. 2.2k per Blu-ray volume is a notable figure as well, and these days, pretty good, to be honest. I think we need to get away from whatever archaic benchmark we are using, because every time this conversation comes up many seem to think what are actually decent BD numbers aren't good at all. And streaming is now incredibly important. Both internationally and domestically. It's impossible to know from the outside exactly what prompted the decision to make more of this, but it did well on many streaming platforms.

For simplicity's sake, these are the factors that I would most take into consideration for your average anime:

*Streaming
*International Licenses
*Physical Media
*Merchandise
*Source Material

How I'd weight them depends on the project, but they can all be equally important percentage-wise. Of these, Physical media likely is the least important for most projects though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2