• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Gothicmade in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:19 am Reply with quote
I remember first hearing about Gothicmade on the cover of a Newtype USA magazine back in 2007. Then...nothing. I always wondered what was up with that weird looking mecha anime. Then in 2012 ANN posts a preview of the movie with some nice designs but awfully janky looking animation, especially for something thats finally being released at least 5 years since it was first revealed. Nice article, the story behind Nagano was interesting and helped clear up a bit of the mystery surrounding the movie.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:07 am Reply with quote
One reason why it is important to keep the masters (of the original version) of said anime is because of when it becomes public domain in the USA (95-120 years from now). That is, assuming DVD/BD are still commonly made that many years from now, a person would merely have a to pay licensing fee to use the masters. After that, legally fan sub/dub it how you want!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:41 am Reply with quote
@Kadmos1

I think you are wrong about that. I don't think that an artwork coming out of copyright has any effect on the masters. Do you have a reference for this??

When an early anime falls into the public domain, if an old laserdisc or VHS copy is available, you would be able to copy that. The studio holding any existing master tape can tell you to no as to access to that. Certainly the collectors who hold the original cells will not have to provide them to you.

My understanding is that if a work falls into the public domain that people may copy any version that is out "in the wild" so to speak. The master tape or other material that the work is based on is still the property of the person who owns it. They can withhold it, release it or destroy it as they wish. Museums, for example, can and sometimes do prohibit photos of the artworks in their collections. They will tell you to go to the gift shop and buy a photo. Their photo would be copyright even if the artwork itself is a hundred years old.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2