• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime inspired by Blade Runner

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys,

Putting this post out there because I need some help.

I asked my co-worker whose in charge of the DVD display here at the library if he was going to be doing a theme in honor of 'Blade Runner'. So he's considering it. So the theme will be on things 'Blade Runner' inspired or anything cyber-punk. Now ANN just did an entry on anime inspired or has references to 'Blade Runner'. So what I want to add some anime to that display that has either been inspired by 'Blade Runner', and things cyberpunk.

So far I have made sure we have all the films connected to 'BGC', this includes 'Paraside Dolls, AD Police, Cyber City Oedo, BGC 2040 and of course BGC. And on the Cyber Punk side is 'Armitage III'. But I need more that I haven't thought of. So if anyone can come up with some recommendations I'll dig through our collection and pull whatever we got.

More than likely this display will happen once 'Blade Runner 2049; and 'Black Out 2022' will be released.

Thanks.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
This thread isn't a response to an ANN article, so I've moved it to the appropriate forum. Also, I've added "by" to the thread title to what I think more accuratedly reflects what you're asking about.

Don't forget Ghost in the Shell or The Animatrix. The impact Bladerunner had on both of those titles is enormous. The Animatrix DVD has a film about making anime and the themes that interest the Wachowski brothers. As far as I recall, they discuss the influence of Blade Runner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
Battle Angel and Mardock Scramble would definitely warrant inclusion here, and maybe also Black Magic M-66 and Texhnolyze. The Appleseed franchise and Ergo Proxy would be a bit more of a stretch but could warrant mention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow! people remember Black Magic M-66! It's a bit of a stretch but Blame! might be a good choice. If you aren't terrified of lots of fanservice (mostly panty shots) and much less cyberpunk Najica Blitz Tactics covers a lot of Bladerunner territory because anime.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to the moderators and commentators on this. Thank you. Also, of the titles mentioned I had thought of these but I wasn't sure if I can add these. And the ones I wasn't sure of was Ergo Proxy, Mardock Scramble, Animatrix, Appleseed. Never thought about Texhnolyze. I'm wondering if I should add 'Neo Tokyo' because of the whole

Oh I didn't forget GITS, I just forgot to mention it. But oh yes. I wish that both 'Silent Mobius' series were released.

Good thing is that we do HAVE those films.

If there are anymore titles please pass them my way.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
There is a lot of manga and anime titles heavily characterized by cyberpunk aesthetics but Blade Runner did not single-handedly invent those aesthetic elements. So it's hard to say if it's direct influence because both Blade Runner and all other cyberpunk titles emerged from the same cultural cauldron of the late 1970's and 1980's. So unless the authors of the manga or anime title (which came first in the cases like Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed) admit direct influence I don't think one should assume that there was direct influence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
There is a lot of manga and anime titles heavily characterized by cyberpunk aesthetics but Blade Runner did not single-handedly invent those aesthetic elements. So it's hard to say if it's direct influence because both Blade Runner and all other cyberpunk titles emerged from the same cultural cauldron of the late 1970's and 1980's. So unless the authors of the manga or anime title (which came first in the cases like Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed) admit direct influence I don't think one should assume that there was direct influence.

Hmmm, interesting point. Guess this is really going to be a short display. Funny that there isn't much material in the 2000's. But yes, the 70's to the 90's or early 2000's pretty much date those influences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1