• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jūni Taisen: Zodiac War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenPincers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
There's just 1 character I miss, and that's Rooster/Chicken. Imo, she was the most interesting fighter back then, and she still is now. Her endless calculating, manipulative and betraying habits turning her into someone unable to distinguish ally from enemy, was quite well handled, and her ability was also really cool.
Sadly, she's gone for good.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
The reverse order idea was a little off with snake get waxed first. So while the rest were in perfect order in reverse. Though one could say the battle had not yet officially started and this would clear reverse order perfectly.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
[img]https://imgur.com/a/BpfYq[/img]

No they do show her eyes (14:03)

In a room with a red filter. Not suspicious at all...

(btw - why doesn't that img appear in the post? I can't see a thing wrong with the formatting)
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

(btw - why doesn't that img appear in the post? I can't see a thing wrong with the formatting)

That wouldn't explain the black sclera. Compare it to Horse's eyes (14:06)

[img]https://imgur.com/a/pY7EV[/img]

I'm willing to be patient for more evidence to develop before I make any more definitive statements. Look, I'm hoping against hope that Juni Taisen will avoid being too predictable, but we've been burned before.

As to Img, I have no idea. Img just seems to be very fussy. It doesn't like images from Wikis either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Ep 16,

Overall I do enjoy the show but it seems wierd that they need to show the backstory of pretty much every single character, including those that are clearly throwaways (horse and definitely snake, who was dead before we even know who he was).

btw, with dragon being able to fly and everything, why would he choose a relatively short range weapon (ice thrower i guess you would call it, as opposed to a flame thrower). You would figure he would be a sniper or archer or someone who could make full use of having such a high vantage point, but instead he has a weapon that can only be used from a few meters away.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

Those look like dead eyes to me. She's been necromanced.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
there's also the fact that she's walking around just fine with a giant hole in her stomach (rabbit did rip the poison thing out of her), unless she's got some way to ignore blood loss and bodily functions I'm pretty sure it's safe to say she's dead. Granted the series could always pull something out of its ass and say "you thought she was dead, but something something somethings and she's actually alive" but I'd like to think they wouldn't do something that cheap.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
But they're not glowing red like Bunny's and his friends - or if they are, we can't tell because of the red filter. And her eyes still have shine spots in the upper part, while Boar's and Snake's don't.

@ #844391: She can transmute anything, so she could make her own blood if it came down to that, and/or heal her wounds to stop the bleeding (it would look really suspicious if she kept bleeding out after she "died.").

These are either clues that she's not dead, or just the way things were drawn and it means nothing. I'm just saying if she's not dead, they've covered their bases so far.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But they're not glowing red like Bunny's and his friends - or if they are, we can't tell because of the red filter. And her eyes still have shine spots in the upper part, while Boar's and Snake's don't.

@ #844391: She can transmute anything, so she could make her own blood if it came down to that, and/or heal her wounds to stop the bleeding (it would look really suspicious if she kept bleeding out after she "died.").

These are either clues that she's not dead, or just the way things were drawn and it means nothing. I'm just saying if she's not dead, they've covered their bases so far.

Given how shoddy the production values were this episode, I wouldn't put much stock into such details as "her eyes still have shine spots"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8,

I thought this was one of the better actual backstories shown of the characters in the show (much better than last week's) but IT'S STILL A WHOLE EPISODE OF FLASHBACKS! And its flashbacks of the same characters they had flashbacks of last week, one of which died at the very start of the show. And the second one is probably doing to kick the bucket next episode. Seriously, this show is should be renamed "Here's a new character and their life story, and now they're dead".
Niello

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't think any Juuni taisen episode could be worst than 2. Dog is utterly boring as a character and not much else happened that episode to help prop it up. Compare to that episode 8 was quite enjoyable.
Thaumana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh man really, why ranting about the flashbacks all the time? There were background stories from the start so I went along with this premise and actually it just helps me more to get a gist of every character's mindset and how they lead their more or less insouciant life in this wrecked world.
The criticism concerning the animation quality was comprehensible though.
LunaPrecure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
If it is following the reverse order of the Zodiac, save for Snake, I can see Rat winning. He seems like the type of meta, apathetic, and introspective characters that NisiOsin tends to favor in his writing (i.e. Koyomi Araragi in the Monogatari and Boku from The Beheading Cycle). I hope that, somehow, he veers aways from his old habits and suprises us; but, where the plot is heading, as of now, I can’t see that happening. He’s probably going to add something deep about history repeating itself at the end and have Rat monologuing. I’m glad SHAFT isn’t directing it or it would’ve been needlessly pretentious and eyeball-centric.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:08 am Reply with quote
Ep 9,

So, after finishing 2 episodes of flashbacks for dragon and snake. dragon gets killed off immediately. And then we move right into another set of flashbacks for tiger that takes up another episode, although everything after the flashback was fine (I thought tiger was going to die next).

Soooooo, I dunno what to think about rabbit being dead, he definitely did something with his teeth just before he died, plus he didn't bring monkey out. Maybe he can raise himself from the dead. I'm 90% sure he's still in the game somehow.

As for Tora's backstory, got a bit too repetitive over her ending up getting hooked on drinking and killing, otherwise I think the impact would have been better. I'm not sure exactly what her dad was expecting when he sent his daughter off into an urban war zone she clearly wasn't mentally prepared to deal with. Did he think she was going to obtain enlightenment or something? And I'm guessing we see some more flashbacks about her because we still don't know why she's so fixated on ox.

The whole pacing of the show is bizarre, I don't even know whether to feel hyped over something because people die so quickly and the show goes from boring backstories to cool action in just a few scenes.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
Tiger's no a teenager, right? I mean, I saw at the beginning that she was in school, but I can't tell if they did a time skip showing us that she aged. I'd hate to think they showed us a drunken minor. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7