• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Glitter Force Doki Doki Season 2 Debuts on Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:45 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
the real question is why do they keep grabbing the bad seasons?

Because that's how Precure has been since Smile with the exception of GoPri.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
So now that Saban finished dubbing Doki Doki and the rights have reverted back to Toei, what's going to happen to the rest of the franchise after this? Will Toei find another company to dub future seasons? Will they continue to use Netflix for future seasons of Glitter Force or would they finally release more subtitled episodes of Pretty Cure on Crunchyroll? How successful has the Glitter Force dub been and are there going to be any plans for home video releases or American made merchandise?

If Glitter Force is successful enough that Netflix wants more, Toei will probably just hire the same crew who did Smile and Doki Doki to adapt the latter seasons. They did the same with Digimon. Expect the same abuse of puns, questionable name localizations, and shaky voice deliveries. The only difference is that Toei probably wouldn't be so eager to leave a third of the show on the cutting room floor.

I don't think Toei would go back to the original show's style of dub (minimal localization, faithful script).
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
JennLegacy wrote:
I think the general logic is that Toei is kind of "done" getting younger fans into Sailor Moon. It's less of a kids' property to them at this point and more of a nostalgia property, so they're going to market it as such. Obviously it's still a kids show and people will still show it to their kids, but Toei would rather get those kids to watch Precure instead.

You hit the nail on the head.

That's a bummer though especially with the Dragon Ball Z property getting one heck of a comeback for both kids and nostalgic fans in many forms of media. Why couldn't Sailor Moon get the same treatment in Crystal? Then again that would be competing with itself in the magical girl space with Precure.
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
Studiopolis is the studio behind the Glitter Force dub. Even if Saban is no longer involved, Toei might just settle for letting Studiopolis continue to handle the dubs.

I wish they'd go back to the dubbing style they used for the first Precure series (struck the perfect balance of being faithful while still being localized enough for kids), but I'm afraid that ship has already sailed. I do hope they'll at least get to the point that they start dubbing every episode though. Skipping and combining episodes is even worse than the over localized script, IMO.

epicwizard wrote:

Don't hold your breath for that. Toei most likely wants a bigger-scale release for the franchise. They seemingly aren't very keen in letting their magical girl shows (or heck, a lot of their other shows in general) stream on Crunchyroll.

Crunchyroll already has subs available for one Precure series, and are interested in getting the rights to more. Hopefully Toei will eventually give in. It would be the ideal compromise - subs (and hopefully a simulcast) of the Japanese version for anime fans, and the localized dubs for the kids on Netflix. Win-win for everyone!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
Back when "Naruto" was airing on Toonami, the edited version gave it a TV-PG. I can't speak for the script itself, but the show was less edited than a 4kids show. What reasons would there be to not do the same thing for "Doki Doki"?
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Crunchyroll already has subs available for one Precure series, and are interested in getting the rights to more. Hopefully Toei will eventually give in. It would be the ideal compromise - subs (and hopefully a simulcast) of the Japanese version for anime fans, and the localized dubs for the kids on Netflix. Win-win for everyone!

Here's the thing, if the Japanese version streams on Crunchyroll, while the dub streams on Netflix, then it would no longer be a "Netflix Original". Netflix obviously doesn't want their exclusive shows streaming anywhere else, no matter what language it's in. And the Japanese version is related to the dub because both are technically the same show.

Kadmos1 wrote:
Back when "Naruto" was airing on Toonami, the edited version gave it a TV-PG. I can't speak for the script itself, but the show was less edited than a 4kids show. What reasons would there be to not do the same thing for "Doki Doki"?

Because Toei believes that a heavily localized version of Doki Doki will be as accessible and unoffensive as possible to literally every North American kid ages 10 and under (as well as their hovering parents) from every possible walk of life. I personally don't fully agree with all the decisions made for the localization, but I understand that they're doing them from a business perspective. They want the show to be marketable to kids without their hovering parents "banning" the show from them because of some Japanese thing the parents don't understand.

A faithful dub in coexistence doesn't make much sense from a business perspective. Why? Because the amount of people that actually wants this is too few to matter. Because it's a mainstream kids franchise and not a niche, otaku-centric franchise, Toei wants it to be cracking numbers in the hundred thousands (or even in the millions), not low thousands.

Last edited by epicwizard on Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Japanese comapanies, Toei included, don't really care about international audiences beyond whatever royalties they get. Sure, there are lots of events and merchandise for older Precure fans in Japan, but western fans aren't as hardcore/dedicated so releasing the high end stuff here wouldn't be as profitable as they are in Japan, so pandering purely to kids is where they'll get the most money. Precure has one of the biggest otaku followings in Japan, but there is no real way to capitalize on that in America.

America is also a lot bigger on keeping kids stuff squeaky clean.. If releasing a sexy figure here would damage the brand, the licensor would sooner pretend that stuff doesn't sxist than risk parent outrage.

-Stuart Smith
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I watched the fansub of Smile PreCure! and from what I saw the anime looks family-friendly enough and it doesn't need to be edited at all. Also has anyone tried to look up when will the Netfix deal of Glitter Force will expire?
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
Here's the thing, if the Japanese version streams on Crunchyroll, while the dub streams on Netflix, then it would no longer be a "Netflix Original". Netflix obviously doesn't want their exclusive shows streaming anywhere else, no matter what language it's in. And the Japanese version is related to the dub because both are technically the same show.

That's a great point, actually. I guess it comes down to whether or not Netflix ever decides to offer the Japanese version alongside the dub. (and don't worry, I already realize that isn't likely, so I'm not acting like this is something that WILL happen or anything Razz)
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
LaytonPuzzle27 wrote:
I watched the fansub of Smile PreCure! and from what I saw the anime looks family-friendly enough and it doesn't need to be edited at all. Also has anyone tried to look up when will the Netfix deal of Glitter Force will expire?

Netflix exclusivity agreements are typically 3-5 years. Though, the window for this show (maybe all kids stuff?) seems to be smaller. IIRC Glitter Force has aired on TV in the United Kingdom.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Do we have any idea of how successful Glitter Force has been for Saban and Netflix so far? I might be able to buy the argument that these extreme localizations are needed to make a show successful in the U.S. if Glitter Force was actually a hit, but I'm not aware that that many kids are watching it. It seems like most kids are watching Miraculous Ladybug more than they are Glitter Force. I have yet to see Saban produce any sort of merchandise for the series even though GE Animation has told me on Twitter before that they were interested in making plush toys of the characters but they hadn't been approached by Saban any. Saban doesn't seem to have any presence at anime cons at all. You never see the dub voice cast doing any voice actor panels at anime cons and I haven't seen any marketing or promotion for the series by Saban and Netflix. I also have yet to hear about any plans for a physical home video release even though the first season of the Smile dub has already been on Netflix for two years now. I think the fact the series' rights have reverted back to Toei seems to imply to me that the series failed to make any impact on the American kids' market in spite of making the dub have as much broad Western appeal as possible.

Given how popular Miraculous Ladybug is which is an American/French/Japanese co-production, Toei may be better off producing their own original Western magical girl properties for the U.S. than trying to adapt their Japanese properties for the West. America is an increasingly culturally diverse society and children of color want to see themselves represented on American TV as much as white kids want to watch a cartoon without having to learn different countries and cultures exist. Glitter Force is the kind of dub that might have been a bigger hit a few years ago but the climate for American kids' media is radically different now than it was in the 90s when Sailor Moon was a hit and audiences have higher standards of what they expect from diversity in children's media. And if they can't ind it from anime dubs, families will find it from other sources that meet their expectations.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
If there's no merch and Saban's dropped the license, the implication there is that the show isn't particularly successful. For all we know, Doki Doki might've been a contractual obligation, either with Toei or Netflix. It would not surprise me at all if Netflix has an output deal with Saban Brands to indiscriminately provide them with __ hours of programming a year, so they fulfill that with cheap trash. It would explain why they would pick up absolute garbage like Kibaoh Klashers and dump it on Netflix without any acknowledgment.

Saban Brands isn't an anime licensing company and Glitter Force isn't aimed at anime fans. No presence at anime conventions isn't surprising. Saban does attend large comic conventions, but that's to promote Power Rangers, which is a legacy IP with an established dual audience containing older fans that'll buy nostalgic merch. Saban did promote Glitter Force a lot at TV/licensing trade shows. It essentially replaced Digimon as their #2. I can't really say why they didn't land much for Glitter Force.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
So then, why did Toei yank "One Piece" from 4Kids?
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:34 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
IIRC Glitter Force has aired on TV in the United Kingdom.

It's also airing in Italy...and I feel sorry for them because as mentioned before, Pretty Cure was a big property there (and also in Spain I believe) and they got screwed over to the point that they were forced to skip a season since they were airing Heartcatch at the time the Gangnam Girls/Glitter Force deal was going down.
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm disgusted that ANN have rename the encyclopedia articles of Smile PreCure and Dokidoki Precure to Glitter Force and Glitter Force Dokidoki. First Wikipedia now Anime News Network what is the trying to be the Ministry of Truth.

Seriously I tiered of the internet tying to white wash, Political correctness, and racists to anime like PreCure and replace with the Dub version instead. I tried to email ANN but they haven't comment back to me cowards. ANN I demand you change those two articles back to the original titles! OR ELSE!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by LaytonPuzzle27 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:18 pm; edited 4 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3