• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! The Third Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
Ok. I was under the impression that the new format was all Azami, all the time. Still, once the Elite 10 graduate, there will only be clones unable to contribute anything new.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ok. I was under the impression that the new format was all Azami, all the time. Still, once the Elite 10 graduate, there will only be clones unable to contribute anything new.

Azami's plan as we know it is definitely incredibly myopic. The bigger question remains "does he care?" I'm not really sure he even REALLY cares anything about the school itself or its position in the broader scope. In the manga spoiler[we know that he's ready to completely dismiss the Polar kids until Yukihira's dad re-appears and gets him to go along with their competition for control. And more recently, behind the scenes we see that there's clearly some broader struggle between the adults that has been brewing for a WHILE with them lining up the kids specifically for their plans.] Supposedly Azami is merely "redesigning" the school with the intent to overhaul how all restaurants and food service operates by changing the next generation of people that run such things. But that's so LUDICROUSLY cartoonish that I just really want to believe there's something else at play.

I mean, he's SO much more likely to succeed at his plans by just continuing with the bribes and corporate maneuvering he's obviously ALREADY done outside the school rather than whatever complicated "young adult pseudo-brainwash" scheme this current thing represents. (I'll grant the latter is more "Shounen JUMP-esque" but ... I naively want to expect more than that)
Mojave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:42 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I guess I still don't get why the majority of the Elite 10 were on board with what he's doing. All of them seem quite proud of their various unique recipes and techniques, like with the first seat dude being so obsessed with his dishes being done in exactly his own way he won't let anyone else touch anything, that it's hard to imagine them giving all that up to simply copy Azami's style and recipes like machines. Other than Eizan, who's just a toady anyway, what do they think they stand to gain?

I'm with you on that. It's one of the biggest weaknesses of this arc. None of the Elite 10 (besides Eizan, who doesn't actually care about cooking and only lusts after power) who voted for Azami had even remotely close to sufficient motivations for doing so.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8

Both dishes look delicious as hell. And Eizan's epic troll faces never fail to disappoint. When Soma's victory came out in the manga a lot of people were complaining cos it was more a plot armor win than anything. Great food overcoming bribery? Come on.

Still I cant help but notice a drop in the animation quality or is it just me
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Ep 8

Both dishes look delicious as hell. And Eizan's epic troll faces never fail to disappoint. When Soma's victory came out in the manga a lot of people were complaining cos it was more a plot armor win than anything. Great food overcoming bribery? Come on.

Still I cant help but notice a drop in the animation quality or is it just me

I also noticed the animation got pretty bad.

I feel like the battle makes more sense in the manga because, first, it wasn't rushed through in a single episode, it took place over 6 chapters, and second, the fact that the judges themselves showed how they understood Souma's choices impresses that they're actually knowledgeable food critics; by letting the side cast watching on TV comment on the food science, it kind of takes away from the judges' setting. If the reader believes the judges have some amount of pride or expertise, it wouldn't be as much of a stretch to say that Eizan simply paid them to not taste the dish. It's still a stretch, yes, but the anime makes it even harder to believe that it was a realistic turn of events.

Another element that Souma will probably bring up next episode is that spoiler[Eizan didn't start cooking until partway through the match, whereas Souma had been preparing since before it started. With so little forethought, you could argue that Souma's complex creation blew Eizan's out of the water, enough that the judges felt compelled to vote truthfully, especially if, in this alternate dimension, how delicious food is shows so easily on people's faces/bodies/degree of "foodie clothing battle damage."]
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
s honed his tastes and his financial acumen more than his actual kitchen skills, and that his money sense is what really got him his place on the Elite Ten

Didn't Rindou say that if he actually tried, he would beat several of the Elite Ten? Instead of "he's wasting his gifts cause money", i took it at "he has all the gifts needed to beat Souma, but he barely tried cause he's a pleb". I mean, he wasn't even trying to fight Souma fairly and even gave him a change to prepare stuff beforehand. That's just my take tho.
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I like to think that the judges wouldn't have decided spoiler[to vote fairly if Sōma hadn't convinced them that it was better to have the polar star dormitory around than gone. If he hadn't demonstrated that such an environment could beat central's curriculum it would have been futile no matter how good the food was. They still would have voted central's way. Sōma had to not only beat the other guy's food, he had to steal the judges themselves from central on behalf of polar star dormitory and all the other organizations.]
bhl88

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
GhostD wrote:
EP 3

Just add Jou in that duo and theyll become the Triad of Smelly and DIsgusting

oh don't worry about that if this does turn out to be a 24 episode series then you'll definitely see the inclusion of a certain student and witness the birth of a new 'group' that 'should not have ever met'.

I saw the Convention of Weird Dishes during the festival arc where she comes out of an insect club's restaurant.

I thought it would be Sadatsuka, Soma and Rindo.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Rindo is definitely a wild card and may eventually come over to Soma's side.

Hahaha spoiler[No]

Quote:
I feel like the battle makes more sense in the manga because, first, it wasn't rushed through in a single episode, it took place over 6 chapters, and second, the fact that the judges themselves showed how they understood Souma's choices impresses that they're actually knowledgeable food critics; by letting the side cast watching on TV comment on the food science, it kind of takes away from the judges' setting. If the reader believes the judges have some amount of pride or expertise, it wouldn't be as much of a stretch to say that Eizan simply paid them to not taste the dish. It's still a stretch, yes, but the anime makes it even harder to believe that it was a realistic turn of events.

Another element that Souma will probably bring up next episode is that spoiler[[Eizan didn't start cooking until partway through the match, whereas Souma had been preparing since before it started. With so little forethought, you could argue that Souma's complex creation blew Eizan's out of the water, enough that the judges felt compelled to vote truthfully, especially if, in this alternate dimension, how delicious food is shows so easily on people's faces/bodies/degree of "foodie clothing battle damage."]]

It should be explained. As someone who reads the manga I already know all this but still it should be explained properly for the benefit of the anime-only group. Aside from the change of having the side characters narrate and shortening the Eizan flashback I think the episode was fairly paced albeit slightly rushed. Im pretty sure the reason they decided to settle the shokugeki in a single episode is because a certain event that a lot of people have been waiting for is finally gonna happen next week and they wouldnt want to cut it short considering each ep is less than 20 mins if you minus the op and end themes
Shradow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
Yeah, unfortunately the anime didn't make this bout come across as well since they fit it all in one episode. One part that got cut that I liked was the little bit about the middle judge with "I'll volunteer myself to play the role of the villain." These judges really are experts who know what they're talking about, they just believed in Azami's ideals and were willing to make sacrifices for the sake of the revolution. But Soma's cooking showed them that such ideals aren't absolutely correct, so they were willing to go against Eizan.

Eizan's faces were great, though. Been waiting to see all his reactions animated.
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:48 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Quote:
(Rindo is definitely a wild card and may eventually come over to Soma's side.

Hahaha spoiler[No]

spoiler[Rather than "No" it's more like "Still pending." She clearly isn't Azami's (willing or not) pawn the way the other Elite Ten are, she's already kind of ruined some of their plans with her whims. The overall Central arc is nowhere close to being finished in the source, so there's still every chance for her to defect.]
青白

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
The way Eizan was depicted in the manga with that still frame felt very impactful in the manga, and in the anime it just feels awkward to see somebody’s static reaction.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
spoiler[Rather than "No" it's more like "Still pending." She clearly isn't Azami's (willing or not) pawn the way the other Elite Ten are, she's already kind of ruined some of their plans with her whims. The overall Central arc is nowhere close to being finished in the source, so there's still every chance for her to defect.]

I guess thats true but spoiler[she did defeat Megishima during the Regimental Shokugeki which really hit the rebels hard seeing as he was easily one of their best guys and she's expected to participate again in the next bout so for the time being she's still on Azami's side and she's helping him quite a bit and this takes place quite a ways from where the anime is right now so even if she does turn traitor in the end it wont happen for quite a while]

Quote:
The way Eizan was depicted in the manga with that still frame felt very impactful in the manga, and in the anime it just feels awkward to see somebody’s static reaction.

Blame the drop in animation quality for that. It could have been handled better
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote
My initial reaction to Azami, with his "ultimate evil" vibe, was thus: "Oh my god. He's a CANNIBAL isn't he? Laughing
The reality is still interesting, I mean child abuse is still terrible, but I laugh every time I see him now because I remember my initial thoughts. I am still waiting for him to become even more evil. I have a feeling he will be, but in a more mundane fashion.
Of course, in a show like Food Wars, the mundane becomes amazing anyway.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9

They skipped it. They bloody friggin skipped it and more unless they show it in the next ep or 2 but the impact may be weaker than if they had shown it when everything was set up for it to happen
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10