• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amazon Prime Video - Worst Streaming Platform Ever?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
You may just have given Amazon Prime its next marketing campaign slogan, "Hey, at least we aren't as bad as NicoNico's English player!"
Gappasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
hey all, this seemed the most relevant thread to post this in, and it’s possible this has been previously discussed, but here goes:

i finally gave in and signed up for the Anime Strike free trial week, because i’m already a Prime member, and they had some shows i really wanted to see (Himouto s2, Chi’s sweet adventure, Urara meirocho, etc). so i put a bunch of shows in my queue... so far so good! but to speed things up i decide to search for specific shows instead of randomly browsing... which i guess was a mistake, because almost every show i searched on (Love Live, Haruhi Suzumiya, Sankarea to name a few) are still pay-to-buy only =(

am i dumb for assuming that, after paying for both Prime and Strike, the majority of Amazon’s anime inventory would be included in their shiny new service for subscribers to enjoy, without having to pay *again*? Or is Amazon dumb for not making it so? because after my free week is up, i’m not sticking around =\
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
@ Gappasaurus - to tell you the truth, I had forgotten that Amazon offered on demand videos that are obviously separate from their subscription based streaming service. I wonder if they will eventually phase out the on-demand stuff. From a customer stand point that would definitely be preferable.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:01 am Reply with quote
Gappasaurus wrote:
am i dumb for assuming that, after paying for both Prime and Strike, the majority of Amazon’s anime inventory would be included in their shiny new service for subscribers to enjoy, without having to pay *again*? Or is Amazon dumb for not making it so? because after my free week is up, i’m not sticking around =\

You seem to think Amazon can do whatever it wants with the properties it has licensed. Believe me, nothing is further from the case. Shows that are carried with a per-episode or per-season fee represent licenses that date back months or often years. Many, if not most of those shows generate royalties for their owners. If Amazon wants to repackage them via Prime or Strike, they'll need to renegotiate their existing contracts.

You don't need to belong to Prime or Strike to watch the shows with such fees either.
kallen667

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
my only problem is that amazon seems to listen to subs community to much. for example full metal panic is one of the best english dubs that there is, imo it IS the best english dubbed anime. amazon dosent even have a dub option, like wtf??
and that seems to be the theme of all the anime on amazon. their trying to satisfy the anime fans but they are not doing any research to find out WHY people prefer subs. shows like railgun just will not be translated properly(dont even get me started about the dub getting both kuroko and misakas names wrong. the japanese version CLEARLY says both of their names. the clones of railgun repeat it over and over and funimation still got both names wrong)

so yes some dubs are awful, but not all, and not leaving the option for dubbed versions is kinda idk "strange". and as far as i can tell the selection is pretty low right now but i think in time they will pull in more. just this month i found out they attained quite a few shows but so did netflix and hulu. netflix has even put out at least one original series in alydnoah zero, which was a pretty good show.

so in closing when they start adding more dubbed anime, or at least find out which ones ARE GOOD DUBS, they will miss out on the less hardcore anime fans. not that liking dubs makes you not hardcore. i haven't tried hulu yet so i know nothing about them but as for now it seems netflix is doing slightly better. but i think amazon has more potential with the ability to watch for free and purchase anime. also the free shipping and discounts offered are awesome, i made 4 months of fees back in one order so im not going to complain at all.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
It's been a little while since I've had something to bitch about, but the latest is that the episode 8 of Himouto! that was supposed to drop yesterday is still not available to me.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
kallen667 wrote:
i haven't tried hulu yet so i know nothing about them

Most everything on Hulu is dubbed. They carry a lot of Funimation and some older Sentai properties. You might be better off subscribing to HIDIVE or funimation.com though if you're looking for dubs.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
Hope crunchyroll gets bigger so they can buy the streaming rights for everything. If they had like just 10 million subscribers....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
123netflix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:35 am Reply with quote
You are absolutely right, its really one of the worst. I prefer to Google for streaming websites.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
While I agree with your sentiment, 123netflix, I sorta feel like your username suggests that you *might* have a not-so-hidden agenda...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

You may be correct, but keep in mind that someone who prefers to "Google for streaming websites" is unlikely to get legal sources of entertainment. From my point of view, even the worst legal site is better than the best pirate.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Just to be clear, I was agreeing with 123netflix's statement that Amazon is one of the worst streaming sites, not the part about Googling for streaming sites.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
While I agree with your sentiment, 123netflix, I sorta feel like your username suggests that you *might* have a not-so-hidden agenda...

Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:27 am Reply with quote
Much to my annoyance, I actually have a new complaint about AP. I like having the Watch Next feature which allows me to select the shows I am currently watching so that they appear right at the top of the screen. The idea is that only shows YOU select should be appearing there and for a long time that was the case. Now AP has decided to put shows I haven't selected there, as well. You can edit your list, which I did... and the friggin' show pops right back in there. Annoying.

Hmm, I think I know what may be going on here. The show that keeps on popping up even though I haven't selected it is Himouto! Umaru-chan. A show I DID select is the sequel, Himouto! Umaru-chan R which I am currently watching. Maybe if you select a show that has other seasons showing on AP as well, they'll automatically show up in your Watch Next list even though you haven't selected them? It wasn't doing that, before. So I stick with my original judgment: annoying.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:19 am Reply with quote
Amazon is, at the time of this post, late with the newest episode of Girls’ Last Tour again and I just wanted to voice my annoyance here if that’s fine. I had planned to watch it to end my day, but there’s nothing there. Not even a version without subtitles, just nothing up yet and I don’t like it. Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6