• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: King's Game The Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
King's Game was always garbage, but now the show is doing its utmost best to get even worse. That's disgusting enough, but what really concerning is that it is succeeding. And not in a so-legendarily-bad-it's-kinda-amazing way like Musashi Gundoh. King's Game is just plain terrible. Even dumpster fires like Skelter+Heaven and Mars of Destruction look salvageable compared to this abomination.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
So they decided to skip the end of Nobuaki's first game and jump right back to the present. Bad move IMO but then again having them focus so much on his past via flashback was never the best of ideas and they even changed several parts in the village particularly the scene with spoiler[Natsuko and Chiemi's dad and the fact that chronologically, this should have been Nobuaki's 2nd visit to the village cos in his first game he actually visited the village before which was where he was knocked out contrary to getting KO'd at the train station. Also Chiemi and Natsuko's dad didn't just play the original game, he won it and was the last survivor like Nobuaki is now.] If Seven had just animated the damn original game first then that out-of-nowhere twist wouldve made a lot more sense, the backstories of 2 certain characters wouldve been explained more and how the game really came to be.

Considering this is listed as 12 eps and as far as the current game is concerned we're passed the half way mark into the story. Will they drag the remainder of the current game for the next 5 eps? Will they give a more detailed explanation of the original game? Or will they show what spoiler[happened to Natsuko during her first game that turned her into a psycho? Yes theres a story on that called King's Game Rinjou (Spiral)]. Sure its badly written with more holes in it than I care to count and the character development is about as out there as the stars but it could have been salvageable or at least better received if it was done right.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
This show outstupids Master of Martial Hearts.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:22 am Reply with quote
Ep 8

That was actually a pretty smart move. By having everyone else pass on the order and assigning all -5 points to Natsuko he's trying to make sure she gets punished. He broke his right finger as an insurance policy so that even if Natsuko were to try and get revenge on him or target Nobuaki he can assign that +1 point to protect and ensure Natsuko loses.

Of course this can all come crashing down easily if the remaining participants dont pass on their turns
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, and the whole episode looks awful too, pretty much guaranteeing that there's no chance of taking this absurdity seriously. But that's okay! Finding new ways to suck is the only path to survival for this show, and King's Game succeeded at failing in just about every way this week.

Rating: C

And despite ALL the reviews so far this seasons, what in Great Google's Ghost will it take before some one gives an F (rating, and not the other meaning) to this show!? I mean honestly, would it take someone to break the forth wall, look directly to the camera and give a completely off-topic shout out to Heybot while drinking a Lipovitan D Pro and giving a thumbs-up? No, wait, that would likely raise the rating in to the B category.
AholePony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I gave this week's episode 4 stars because the haircut thing is the funniest segment I've seen in anime in years.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Ep 8

That was actually a pretty smart move. By having everyone else pass on the order and assigning all -5 points to Natsuko he's trying to make sure she gets punished. He broke his right finger as an insurance policy so that even if Natsuko were to try and get revenge on him or target Nobuaki he can assign that +1 point to protect and ensure Natsuko loses.

Of course this can all come crashing down easily if the remaining participants dont pass on their turns

Except it's not that smart at all? Since Natsuko's turn is after his, she can still break her whole hand to save herself. And with only one plus point from his right hand finger, Natsuko could still break off two fingers to put Nobuaki (or whoever gets Teruaki's point) in a minus. This would've been smarter if the person AFTER Natsuko agreed to sacrifice however fingers necessary to save whoever Natsuko targeted and/or guarantee that she ends with negative points. At best, Teruaki is forcing Natsuko to sacrifice her right hand with no guarantee of killing her, so basically he's wasted all those fingers.

Something else that adds to the stupidity is that the premise of the finger game depends on the characters being not-so-nice-people and wanting to kill each other. We saw this materialize in the first game with many characters being openly hostile to each other, but nothing in this second game has been indication that any of these teens would want to kill each other. The writing treats this as some super tense moment, but the "trick" to win it is so extremely obvious it would've been a completely pointless order without Natsuko as a wildcard
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:55 am Reply with quote
But he was gonna go to beauty college Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

You've just gotta love the thinking of these kids: "I just saw my best friend explode into a puddle of blood, but you want me to break my finger? That's crossing the line!"
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
I gave this week's episode 4 stars because the haircut thing is the funniest segment I've seen in anime in years.

Agreed. That was the moment when I realized I was in the presence of comedic genius. Unintentional comedic genius, but whatever.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Except it's not that smart at all? Since Natsuko's turn is after his, she can still break her whole hand to save herself. And with only one plus point from his right hand finger, Natsuko could still break off two fingers to put Nobuaki (or whoever gets Teruaki's point) in a minus. This would've been smarter if the person AFTER Natsuko agreed to sacrifice however fingers necessary to save whoever Natsuko targeted and/or guarantee that she ends with negative points. At best, Teruaki is forcing Natsuko to sacrifice her right hand with no guarantee of killing her, so basically he's wasted all those fingers.

Something else that adds to the stupidity is that the premise of the finger game depends on the characters being not-so-nice-people and wanting to kill each other. We saw this materialize in the first game with many characters being openly hostile to each other, but nothing in this second game has been indication that any of these teens would want to kill each other. The writing treats this as some super tense moment, but the "trick" to win it is so extremely obvious it would've been a completely pointless order without Natsuko as a wildcard

I wrote that down on purpose because I already know the entire story from start to finish including the side story that features Natsuko's first game. Hell even someone who doesnt know how things are going to go can tell whats coming from a mile away. The writing stinks to high heaven no doubt but it could have been handled better
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9

LOL the script made me cringe so hard. I've seen better dramas from a shoujo anime and I've only ever watched 2 different series of that genre. Only wish I wouldnt have to wait for the BDs to see the detailed gore without the censorship. 3 more to go. Theyre seriously planning to drag this out.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
But he was gonna go to beauty college Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

You've just gotta love the thinking of these kids: "I just saw my best friend explode into a puddle of blood, but you want me to break my finger? That's crossing the line!"

That is why I thought it was a mistake for the very first episode to have people die. It's pretty hard to believe that they would genuinely struggle with the King's orders when a gruesome death is on the table. Escalating the punishments to the point where too many failures means death would give the players reason to consider whether they could afford to fail. Plus, if things started off in a less spectacular fashion, they'd also have reason to doubt the game was real and waste some of those lesser punishments. When like half the class hangs themselves and another has blood explode out of him in front of everyone on the first day, they've lost any reason to doubt that this is real.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Would someone explain to me how the hell you give CPR underwater?
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Would someone explain to me how the hell you give CPR underwater?

Its a somewhat possible if you take a deep breath and blow that breath into the receivers mouth. Obviously the receiver will only get a small amount of air but sometimes a small amount can help.

That said if this is how Chris is reacting now I cant wait for him to see the ending lol
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
v1cious wrote:

That is why I thought it was a mistake for the very first episode to have people die. It's pretty hard to believe that they would genuinely struggle with the King's orders when a gruesome death is on the table. Escalating the punishments to the point where to many failure means death would give the players reason to consider whether they could afford to fail. Plus, if things started off in a less spectacular fashion, they'd also have reason to doubt the game was real and waste some of those lesser punishments. When like half the glass hangs themselves and another has blood explode out of him in front of everyone on the first day, they've lost any reason to doubt that this is real.

Agreed. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but besides that one girl threw herself out a window before she found out she just had to confess to her crush, hasn't the punishment always been death?
This kind of scenario could have had interesting games and interesting punishments, instead it's just a race to see how fast everyone can be killed off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5