• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Beasts of Abigaile GNs 1-2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I do not support this review at all unless you give the art AT LEAST an -A!! Kidding aside though, I just read volume 1 and found it pretty interesting! I followed the author for years back when I still hung around deviantart so I’m glad a work of hers finally made it over here. Definitely a lot of questions I want to stick around for to be answered like how she turned into a Luga and what’s up with Gilles’ and Angelica’s relationship. I’m also feeling like this might go the Boys Over Flowers route and spoiler[ Nina and Roy getting feelings for each other at some point despite the abuse and animosity towards each other. ] Idk, but I’m at least curious enough to keep at this one (and her art is gorgeous) so at least I have another manga to read for a bit.

Last edited by KENZICHI on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I've gotten the first two volumes and read them. At this point I've dropped the series. The artwork is OK but it can't make up for an un-enjoyable story line.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I've gotten the first two volumes and read them. At this point I've dropped the series. The artwork is OK but it can't make up for an un-enjoyable story line.

Explain.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Quote:
Explain.

That is difficult. That I'm not enjoying the series is an emotional reaction. Any explanation is after the fact and may not be complete, but I'll try.

I found the level and type of violence to be unacceptable. Violence against those unable to defend themselves is repugnant. I don't care for the idea of the heroine falling for the sadistic bad guy. Towards the end we get a whiff of wheels within wheels plotting where no one is what they seem and no one is trustworthy. Further I don't see any realistic possibility of a good end to the situation. It this sort of thing doesn't bother you, it is pretty.

There is too much manga and too many novels out there for me to waste time on series I don't enjoy.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
Quote:
Explain.

That is difficult. That I'm not enjoying the series is an emotional reaction. Any explanation is after the fact and may not be complete, but I'll try.

I found the level and type of violence to be unacceptable. Violence against those unable to defend themselves is repugnant. I don't care for the idea of the heroine falling for the sadistic bad guy. Towards the end we get a whiff of wheels within wheels plotting where no one is what they seem and no one is trustworthy. Further I don't see any realistic possibility of a good end to the situation. It this sort of thing doesn't bother you, it is pretty.

There is too much manga and too many novels out there for me to waste time on series I don't enjoy.

I gotcha. I can see that the pretty art style is fitting for the manga. But if there's next level violence, I would imagine it'd be a little hard to focus on the story if MC's are getting abused in some way.

Low-key: I don't mind a heroine falling for the sadistic bad guy, so long as it's done right. Anime catgrin
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
@Animechic420

Keep in mind that there is a lot of "Dr. Fell" in my opinion.

spoiler[I do not like thee, Doctor Fell,
The reason why – I cannot tell;
But this I know, and know full well,
I do not like thee, Doctor Fell.]
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:00 am Reply with quote
I didn't even realize this was picked up and localized. I followed the manga-ka's Twitter for a while, so I'm curious to finally give the manga a shot.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
This sounds interesting, and I really enjoyed reading the review with a bit of Little Red Ridinghood analysis.

Alan45 wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
Quote:
Explain.

You explained your objections very well. I personally hate it when heroines end up with the abusive guy. I hated Boys Over Flowers once it became clear who the main character (who was otherwise spunky and fun to root for) would end up with. So I will keep an eye on this title until I know where the romance is headed.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
This seems pretty interesting! But one question, though: It doesn't have any panty shots or people grabbing each other's boobs, is there? Because if there is, I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
@FireChick, uhhhh... pretty sure no :) This series is definitely written for a female audience, so those "funny" accidents that happen in manga for guys are not something you should need to worry about here.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:45 am Reply with quote
Oh, thank goodness! I'll have to find it at my local library, then!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1