• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:06 am Reply with quote
@classicalzawa

Since you have all the available volumes, there is no question, you should read this. The combination of humor and mythology makes this an enjoyable ride. BTW, I checked and I do have 19 volumes. I really need to update my listing.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Some short things I've read recently I suppose:

One Piece: Skypiea Arc
I've decided that going through this an arc at a time and taking a break works ok. It is addictive as a series, but the break lets me do other manga in the meantime. The previous arc, Alabasta, was clearly the series finding its footing more but Skypiea knew it had its footing and just went full on. I quite enjoyed this arc, best arc so far imo, and am looking forward to more One Piece.

Princess Jellyfish omni 5 (Japanese 9+10)
I still don't care about fashion, but I am still enjoying this series a lot! I wouldn't have thought it was my sort of thing at all, honestly. But I saw the anime and wanted more (which fortunately has been going past the anime for quite a few volumes now) and I definitely want to see where it'll all end up. It ended in Japan just a few weeks ago, so we know it has 7 volumes left, but I think that'll be the right amount for it at this point. Maybe having most of the amars girls be socially awkward nerds who dislike human contact helps me emphasize with them, even when they're being way too comedic relief.

Love Stage vol 7
And thus the series comes to an end! Would I like more? Yeah, but the ending here is perfectly fine too. I'm not typically into yaoi, but I do like this author duo quite a bit and this is another really solid entry from them.

Wolfsmund
Wow was that violent! But I gotta say, if anyone were to ever make a manga adaptation of Game of Thrones, I would want it to be this woman (or Kentaro Miura, who she used to be an assistant for, but he's busy not doing Berserk right now). So, this series involves history, particularly the three (future Swiss) cantons fighting against the Habsburg family's expansion in around the year 1315. It did make me want to check things up on wikipedia, which is rare, but it's not really needed to enjoy the series (it explains what's needed). As a result, there's really not one specific main character (although Wilhelm Tell's son, Walter, and the evil keeps head Wolfram are pretty close to being the leads I guess?) so the first two volumes are basically people trying to sneak through the Sankt Gottard pass (aka "Wolfsmund") via either trying to get around the pass (in a geographically near impossible area) or faking documents. But Wolfram is just too good and sniffs them out anyway and has them executed horrifically. Then it moves to spending several volumes in an epic battle to take the pass from Wolfram with lots of death and bloodshed. And then the manga covers one final major battle before ending. I definitely feel like it could've gone on longer, although it did finish its epic battle, but I guess my complaint is that the entire history wasn't covered, just this one major part of it. Then again, that's kind of how Legend of the Galactic Heroes felt like, covering this section of history (except the difference is clearly actual history vs fictional history). But I'd still definitely recommend this title to anyone looking for epic battles with lots of gore. I'm just so damn tempted to put in spoiler tags a death that not even Game of Thrones has done, but I guess I won't.... so tempting....
Dotanuki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 2: Battle Tendency
Only 6 chapters left to finish the manga. I will probably give it 6/10... It has logical gaps as big as grand canyon... lol but i liked the manga's playful spirit. I read it because eveyone says Jojo part 3 is where it gets good so i wanted to start from the begining even if people say part 1 and 2 are not very good... since part 3 is not completely published yet, i was like ok, i can read part 1 and 2 meanwhile part 3 publishing and then read part 3 when it's complete.
Black Butler
I just read vol. 1 which was 4 chapters long and i liked it. 8/10 I read it because i watched 3 or 4 episodes of its anime so long ago and i liked it. I prefere manga over anime so i decided to start the manga from the begining after so many years.
xxxholic
I'm a big Magic Knight Rayearth anime fan so i just wanted to read something CLAMP. I tried Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles but i didn't like it very much then i tried xxxholic and i liked it. Very Happy 8/10
Bleach
I gave Bleach another shot just 1 week ago and this time i liked it, finally. Very Happy I didn't like it at my first read like 7 years ago or something. I read it cause i saw bunch of local hot chicks did Bleach cosplays. lol 7/10
Berserk
My absolute favorite manga series. Best manga ever. 10/10 I love medieval dark fantasies, they are my favorites so that's why i started it and oh man... I was born to read Berserk, i love everything about it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Between finally reading something off my damn shelf and renting some things from the library, including some things I'm giving a second chance to.

Blood Lad
Had read some of this before, but since the final volume came out pretty recently, I went ahead and finished it. But I really enjoyed this, I have no idea how far the anime went, but the manga itself was a really good solid shonen that kept me interested the whole time. I'll admit it slowed down a bit during the training part (especially since the training part seemed pretty useless to me in the end), but the finale was worth it. I hope it gets a bit more love as time goes on.

Devil's Line
I had tried reading this before, and my opinion is pretty well the same. Read 3 volumes this time though. My initial reaction was that this manga wants to be Tokyo Ghoul so hard that it's kind of painful. Except this manga lacks what Tokyo Ghoul has, its characters are mostly pretty boring, its mysteries aren't that pressing, and the world of the vampires (or "devils") isn't half as interesting or developed as the world of ghouls. It tries to throw more of a romantic twist in there, but since I don't find either the girl or the half-vampire very interesting or well developed to begin with, it's kind of hard to care. The only interesting character, the one-eyed vampire (yeah, his eyes look a hell of a lot like Ken Kaneki's) doesn't get enough page time, sadly. You're honestly better off just reading Tokyo Ghoul to be honest.

Requiem for the Rose King
Ok, so this definitely confused the hell out of me when I read volume 1. Read through vol 3 this time though. I think I narrowed the problem of it being confusing in part due to it being rather unclear, especially in vol 1, when we've switched from York to Lancaster side of things (having them both have their first son named "Edward" did not help). But maybe re-reading vol 1 a bit more closely (and being a bit more familiar) helped this time because I was able to follow it much easier. And vol 2 and 3 flow a lot better are were a lot easier to follow. I was going to just ignore this series, but a lot of the manga blogs I follow really seem to like this one. I am glad I gave it another shot though, I do want to know where it's going to go from here. I'm still unclear on some things and the series is definitely starting as a slow burner, but I am finding it intriguing.

Platinum End
Also read 3 volumes, seems to be a theme, almost (it's just what the library had, I swear!) Yeah, you really can't escape the "creators of Death Note" here, for better or worse. But while Light was an interesting character to watch do whatever crazy thing he was going to do, the leads here aren't really all that interesting, which really hurts the series because the premise alone isn't enough to make up for lack of interesting characters. It really just feels like Death Note vanilla or something, I don't really have any plans to continue with this one.
jdotaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote
mf ghost because initial d was great and its the same creator
uq holder but kinda watching the anime now instead-because i love ken akamatsu and his work
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote
Almost forgot I had purchased the first volume of Summit of the Gods while at the hipster comic shop in the hipster neighborhood of Baltimore during Halloween Comic Fest. I demanded that I treat myself to a little something that's hard to find elsewhere, since I so rarely go into the city (because it is dangerous). But now, I definitely want the rest of Summit. It's mostly just following this photo journalist guy trying to find out about a Japanese mountaineer/rock climbing dude who is antisocial, and who may or may not be in possession of Mallory's camera (Mallory attempted to climb Everset in the 1920s), but it's also a really interesting read that, thankfully, isn't getting too caught up in how to climb mountains. It's like it remembers that it's not a how-to manga, which pleases me. Four more volumes to go, at least it seems they're all easy to get online (but Right Stuf only has 4 and 5, so I might get 2 and 3 at the hipster store if they have a Black Friday sale)
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:15 am Reply with quote
I recently finished 2 manga.

Pandora Hearts was first. The first 10-11 volumes were good, but nothing outstanding in my opinion. It was really after those volumes, about half-way through the manga when things started to get really interesting. All kinds of mysteries started to get revealed, plot twists everywhere, the story started to really pick up pace. In the end I really loved the manga and it managed to make me really care about all the characters. Break was one of my favourite characters. He was bit of a sad loner who had little regard for his own life. He kinda hides behind a silly facade and tries to hide all his suffering from Sharon. The relationship between Sharon and Break was also one of my favourite things in the manga. There's a scene spoiler[where he reveals that he is blind to Sharon and Sharon just tearfully smiles back at Break, taking it a lot better than Break would have thought.] It was one of the most emotional scenes in the manga in my opinion.

Also read Imawa no Kuni no Alice (Alice in Borderland). It was also good. All the games were pretty well thought out and they had a lot of variety. I felt like it had a great finale. The mind games being played at the end were pretty convincing and I felt like it had a satisfying ending that kinda left things ambiguous, but I think that's just fine for a story like this. I felt like the story slightly suffered from some shounen-like cliches like the power of love and friendship beats the odds and stuff like that. Still it was manga that was really easy to just keep reading since the games were always really intense and the pacing was relatively fast.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Alice in Borderland was a bit weird for me with its pace. It starts off like a very simple torture story that seems pointless except to raise arbitrary frustration and gore, then turns into an actually pretty fun psychological experience, but is interrupted every 3 chapters or so to do some other character's story, with very mixed results. I guess it just took too long to get to something I cared, and by the time it did, I had already made my judgement on the characters.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, side stories were a bit annoying. They interrupted the main story all the time, but some of 'em were pretty good. I felt like the story only dragged on during moments were the main character was like wallowing in the mire, feeling bad about himself. It was obvious he was gonna get his act together in the end so the chapters or moments of him fighting his inner demons or whatever were a bit boring for me.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah. So, Onani Master Kurosawa. I also thought it was going to be a terrible ecchi attempt at "comedy". But it's actually more similar to A Silent Voice somehow, they both deal with themes of bullying and both leads go from being the bully to trying to genuinely become a good person. Except in Silent Voice, it's more of your typical bullying, but in OMK, let's just say teenagers are still discovering their bodies and having fun with what may come out of them.
OMK is kind of infamous based on the direct translation of its title alone (I will let that just be googled). Yes, the main character certainly spends a lot of time and effort on his "hobby" (and has zero shame in it, which I find perfectly fine because he does it behind closed doors), but thankfully, it is not a hentai or an ecchi harem series. I mean, still, he does fantasize a little too hard on his "targets" so if that is going to disturb you, just read A Silent Voice instead. But believe it or not, if you are looking for more manga like Silent Voice, I somehow recommend this one. I really do hope Seven Seas picks this one up eventually (it's only 4 volumes long, might go good their new "Ghost Ship" imprint).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
What do readers think of Adachi's Mix manga?

To tell the truth I'm getting a bit bored with it. Or rather I'm stuck waiting for the other damn shoe to drop. We've have 50 full chapters of basic set-up and little narrative tension. There is very little to no antagonism, very little in terms of big goals to overcome. Everyone is friendly enough, everyone respects one another and the teams are largely boring as can be.
No evil coaches. No cheating bastards, no incredibly pompous rival players.

So... when does the twist happen? When will these guys have a goal to meet, an obstacle to overcome, or rivals to battle?

There's lots of little things to enjoy but nothing to love.
The only thing to really keep me occupied is wondering what kind of twist will come.

I'm thinking of these possibilities.

Mesei will actually make it to Koshien THIS season. They will win the prefectural tournament but lose in the national. Possibly early on.

The big thing will then happen AFTER that when tensions flare and the big "Mix" happens. I'm guessing that maybe Souichirou will transfer out of Mesei and go to Kenjou, becoming their ace pitcher. Thereafter the story becomes a twofold "Step-brother vs. Step-brother" story as both the Tachibana and Mita pairs have to battle each other.

What I don't want happening:
-Touma injures himself and can't continue pitching.
-Someone meets Truck-kun. Thankfully the story has already humorously addressed this- it will not happen.
-ANY of the main cast dies from the usual suspects- Truck-drivers, appendicitis, unexplained illness that kills them suddenly. But I think Adaichi is actively trying to avoid that this time. Keeping the plentiful tragic deaths in the back story or unfulfilled, like the Junior High pitcher with the bad heart that could have been killed off- but wasn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
I'm currently reading Kaiji Part 3 because there is no Season 3 of the anime. So far, I do like it a lot despite me not being the biggest fan of Mahjong. I do think the series still has me on the edge of my seat by reading. I will probably read Akagi soon as well.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Been reading a few...

Takane no Hana Nara Ochitekoi!!-Shirashi Kouta both handsome and smart. As the prince of the school, there should be no girl who can resist his charms, even if it's the cool beauty Kurokawa Kaori. But what happens when it turns out Kurokawa is even better at playing a prince than he is? Just who exactly is supposed to be falling for whom? (copied from baka-updates)

I stumbled upon this while while to look for something to read. It's a 4 koma and I thought the premise was interesting. It started out great, but I found it tedious after a few chapters. The problem is that there aren't any other characters so the focus is on the two leads. Sure, there are background characters that appear, but they're mostly props for the punchline. It's a shame, since it was a nice change of pace to see the princely character getting flustered instead of the other way around.

Short Cake Cake-Viz just licensed this so I wanted to sample it. I like the art and characters, but the love triangle shenanigans got kinda old. Usually, I would drop it, but there's so many little hints at potential story hooks that I can't help but be interested.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm back at my parents' for the holidays and have been reunited with a load of my manga, so I've decided to reread Nana, despite the fact an actual ending looks increasingly unlikely with every passing day.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
Last Game

Oh man, do I recommend this one. xD I had heard it was popular, more importantly that it was good (I mean, Kyou Koi Hajimemasu was popular and it was as garbage as garbage as romance manga could possibly get-BLEH) so I was keeping my fingers crossed that I'd picked a winner this time.

Yes. Delightfully funny and sweet.

What's REALLY interesting is that it's a shoujo romance told from a male character's perspective This is really rare. Because of this, we get to know this boy inside and out and well, it is a treat. Yanagi Naoto is really a treat. He constantly has me laughing out loud. All the side characters are good too, or at least likable.

It's a pity this one isn't licensed. I love the simple and cute art style; I'll be checking out everything else by this author once I finish this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 145 of 154