• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Devilman Grimoire GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review,guys. Now,I know what kind of manga to avoid and this one just shot up close to the top of my must miss list. Trust me. I'm going to be avoiding this one like the plague.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I heard that Devilman Grimoire has numerous hidden references to Go Nagai's earlier works, so it really works as a gateway series. (The lesbian teachers in particular, I think were one of them.)

I've been really interested with this manga for awhile. I'm not a fan of gore, but I really like its theme about demons. Good to know it's getting an official English release.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Thanks for the review,guys. Now,I know what kind of manga to avoid and this one just shot up close to the top of my must miss list. Trust me. I'm going to be avoiding this one like the plague.

Why the bait, mate?
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
As a big fan of the series, I thought it to be a pretty decent modern spin of the manga. I think newbies who can't enjoy old manga art could enjoy this one a bit more. The story lacks the depth and deeper anti war themes that the original manga had, but I still found to be a fun series.
uguu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 am Reply with quote
Theron saw the art as the biggest flaw of this manga while admitting it's an accurate interpretation of Nagai's original art. If you're a fan of Devilman, Theron is the last person to listen to when it comes to such works; this is the same dude who hated the character designs in New Getter Robo, one of the Ishikawa manga-based anime that emulates his art style and designs best, for being "comic bookish" (what?)

The biggest problem with 70s Devilman, namely the rushed anatomy, is largely not there in Grimoire. It's one of the best modernizations of 70s Nagai style out there.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
uguu wrote:
Theron saw the art as the biggest flaw of this manga while admitting it's an accurate interpretation of Nagai's original art. If you're a fan of Devilman, Theron is the last person to listen to when it comes to such works; this is the same dude who hated the character designs in New Getter Robo, one of the Ishikawa manga-based anime that emulates his art style and designs best, for being "comic bookish" (what?)

Oh, I'll freely admit that I am not at all a fan of the art styles from that era. If you are then this will probably work quite well for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EauDeBla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but if you can’t appreciate the art here, you’re plebs.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah, no, we're not going to go there or it will just turn into a name-calling affair. (And I'm saying that as a Moderator.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

Is it because of the blood and gore? I don't like it how people will bash Devilman and Violence Jack for the blood and gore when titles like Berserk, Tokyo Ghoul, Corpse Party and Higurashi When They Cry are fine by their standers. Not to mention you have Hollywood films and TV shows like The Walking Dead, Hostel, Game of Thrones, Evil Dead and Green Inferno that are super violent too and people are fine by watching them. It comes off hypocritical times if you ask me. Devilman has a good story to it with the themes of anti-war, losing your humanity and demons fusing with humans being use as the idea of being draft into war.

Violence Jack has a decent social commentary on the idea that "human beings are innately awful and its only societal norms that keep us from being total animals and tearing one another apart". It being super violent is pretty much the whole point of it really.
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
uguu wrote:

The biggest problem with 70s Devilman, namely the rushed anatomy, is largely not there in Grimoire. It's one of the best modernizations of 70s Nagai style out there.

The fact that someone who hates this type of art was put in charge of reviewing it says more about the site then the review says about the manga
Brack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
The art is hardly dated, Miki Makimura is p. much unidentifiable from her original design here and characters who existed only as monsters get human forms and faces. It's been deliberately updated to reach a modern audience.

The problem with this release is some sloppy QA on the script - particularly the fact name order switches part way through the volume. Our hero starts off Akira Fudo, but is Fudo Akira by the end of the book.

In terms of the original product, while it's supposedly repackaging Devilman for a new audience, I do wonder how well various deliberate nods to the both the original and Devilman Lady work without knowing the originals. Part of the fun of a remix is knowing what the original sounded like, and this is very much a remix.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I think the art looks fine. Go Nagai has a unique art style and he knows how to create creative looking monsters in Devilman and Mazinger. He can create creepy and awesome looking monsters. Every artist has their own unique style when drawing. You can say the same for One Piece since I know most people have been turn off by its art style.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

If you don't want to buy it you can always request a library copy of the book and make your own judgement. For awhile this book was only available through "scanlations". Quite a few manga readers wanted this title. Well, those who are big fans of Go Nagai. I'm actually surprised that it was considered to be picked up for release, let alone the "classic". I may request this from my local public library to see if it's worth putting in our collection later on.

I really need to know how Seven Seas approached Dynamic Planning (or whoever) acquired the license to publish Go Nagai's work in the states. I would have never expected this. Considering I had a conversation with someone who told me that companies don't take too many chances with publishing works if they can't get a decent return. It can't be just a "for you" it's got get a huge return. Now can we get Shotaru Ishinomori's "Cyborg 009" republished properly.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
TandooriJones wrote:
The fact that someone who hates this type of art was put in charge of reviewing it says more about the site then the review says about the manga

It says nothing. I was curious about it, since I've seen a little bit of Devilman before, so I checked it out. End of story. Your snide insinuations can go no farther than that.
uguu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:44 am Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:

Is it because of the blood and gore? I don't like it how people will bash Devilman and Violence Jack for the blood and gore when titles like Berserk, Tokyo Ghoul, Corpse Party and Higurashi When They Cry are fine by their standers. Not to mention you have Hollywood films and TV shows like The Walking Dead, Hostel, Game of Thrones, Evil Dead and Green Inferno that are super violent too and people are fine by watching them. It comes off hypocritical times if you ask me. Devilman has a good story to it with the themes of anti-war, losing your humanity and demons fusing with humans being use as the idea of being draft into war.

Violence Jack has a decent social commentary on the idea that "human beings are innately awful and its only societal norms that keep us from being total animals and tearing one another apart". It being super violent is pretty much the whole point of it really.

The big problem with the Jack hate meme is that a lot of people don't even consider looking at the manga. You have people nonsensically judging Nagai's storytelling ability based on Itano's anime versions and then, if anyone does check out the manga, they do so after already having decided everything Violence Jack is a vile abomination so they end up hating it.

What's sad is that the Jack manga is beloved by many well-liked creators like Kentaro Miura and Suda51 but people would rather listen to Youtube celebs.

Brack wrote:
The art is hardly dated, Miki Makimura is p. much unidentifiable from her original design here and characters who existed only as monsters get human forms and faces. It's been deliberately updated to reach a modern audience.

The problem with this release is some sloppy QA on the script - particularly the fact name order switches part way through the volume. Our hero starts off Akira Fudo, but is Fudo Akira by the end of the book.

In terms of the original product, while it's supposedly repackaging Devilman for a new audience, I do wonder how well various deliberate nods to the both the original and Devilman Lady work without knowing the originals. Part of the fun of a remix is knowing what the original sounded like, and this is very much a remix.

I'm pretty sure this isn't repackaging anything for a new audience. Devilman is massive in Japan to this day.

Key wrote:
TandooriJones wrote:

It says nothing. I was curious about it, since I've seen a little bit of Devilman before, so I checked it out. End of story. Your snide insinuations can go no farther than that.

If you've only seen "a little bit" of Devilman before then I don't think you're the best person to be reviewing a manga for long-time Devilman fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2