• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, November 27-December 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I am happy to see AMB doing this well. I was afraid it might flop disc sales wise.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
If anyone was wondering, the first volume of Welcome to the Ballroom came out this week but it didn't make the top 30. According to someanithings biz leaks point at it selling 830 BDs, with the DVDs not ranking at all

Last edited by CrowLia on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that seems like a pretty early release for AMB, to be honest. Was not expecting to see it there. Happy it's doing well though.
Granblue is dominating the DVD chart though, it has like 5 spots over there, and it's the top here as well, so good for them. Bundling game codes or whatever in with the discs definitely seems to have paid off.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Ouch, that's pretty awful for Ballroom. Wonder if that makes it the biggest flop of the year?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:39 am Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
Ouch, that's pretty awful for Ballroom. Wonder if that makes it the biggest flop of the year?

Depends on how much money they put into it, including marketing. Probbably not much, judging from the "animation" of the "dance sequences", as well as their frequency.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Dark Mac wrote:

Depends on how much money they put into it, including marketing. Probbably not much, judging from the "animation" of the "dance sequences", as well as their frequency.

They put a lot of money into it. It was heavily marketed and given priority at the studio for quite some time. There is a reason they had multiple interviews and articles about it being the next Yuri on Ice.
The "poor animation" as some are inclined to call it is due to time constraints, them prioritizing staying on-model(something that they've placed a huge emphasis on over the last couple of years), and has literally nothing to do with a small budget or money in general.
And they did put a lot of emphasis on the dance sequences when they did have the time. Someone died from overwork while working on this series. Kazunori Mizuno.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Geez, talk about setting lofty expectations. Now that Ballroom bombed, will it set back on any future sports anime that stars a mixed-gender cast or even main female participants?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Granblue continues to bring home some serious bacon! Smile
It's a total shame that Welcome to the Ballroom failed so hard that it didn't even make the chart...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
SukaSuka flopping in sales? Crap. That was a beautiful show and should have sold a lot better. For "Ballroom", maybe a reason accounting for its bad sales is it's style of animation is likely not appealing to a lot people.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
SukaSuka flopping in sales? Crap. That was a beautiful show and should have sold a lot better.

Don't fret. It did just fine. It's not likely to get a sequel on those numbers, but in 2017, averaging 1.4k per volume is perfectly respectable.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
There's always something releasing in the same week as Monogatari to stop it from taking the #1 spot. Please buy Sins NnT people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1