• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Wolf & Parchment Novel 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scalfin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
is also not her mother

Spoiler?

Also, I wonder if Jews will be represented, as early Protestants had strong ideas about them (first belief that the reformation would lead to universal conversion, and then hatred when that proved hilarious) and they were in the area and had their own ideas about the need for translations due to Hebrew literacy being much more common than Christian Latin literacy.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
There's absolutely no way to talk about this series without bringing up that Myuri is Holo's daughter, as it's an integral part of the series' premise. (Even if it wasn't specifically mentioned, it would be very obvious.) So whether that point is a spoiler or not is, frankly, irrelevant.

As for Jews, there's been no indication so far in the setting of a widespread religious alternative; people either follow the Church or are animal god-venerating pagans. Hence I'll be surprised if something equating to Jews is ever brought up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, Spice & Wolf has been loosely based on European history and events. The economic angle was the most realistically portrayed part. So the Church of Spice and Wolf is not the actual Church, so I wonder whether the fictional depiction of the Church in Parchment and Wolf ever develops what the actual theology is or if the reader is just left to fill in the gaps with real world knowledge... I doubt there'd be any focus on any fictional group representing the Jews, nor would I expect a Martin Luther equivalent. The story works best by leaving such details as vagueries.

Though I wonder if Parchment would ever really get into the actual theological disagreements or is the angle really a means to see how money factors into the affairs?

For example, while Luther confused selling indulgences with almsgiving which was one amongst many acts of charity or penance to receive an indulgence, and any abuses were something the Catholic Church was aware of and fighting and eventually firmly defined and stamped out by the Council of Trent.

And the translation of the Bible was under control of the Church due to the fear of erroneous translations but shoddy translators or heretics, one of whom was Luther himself who added words to the Bible to suit his own theology at odds with long standing Christian and Biblical Tradition and who threw out several books using as his rationale the same ones the Jews did for rejecting the so-called duterocanonical books because existent copies at the time were written not in Hebrew, but in the vernacular Greek (though Hebrew ones were eventually discovered amongst the Dead Sea Scrolls), and they were also rejected by the post-Christian Jews at the time also because they were widespread amongst those Jews outside of Jerusalem in Greek territories and understood by the Greek pagans and also because of many prophetic references to Christ whom they rejected as the Messiah, and this is where St. Paul was preaching and the Gospel found better support outside of Jerusalem amongst the gentiles thatn with the local Jews. Not to mention the Catholic Church itself put out a few vernacular translations before Luther showed up, but prior to the printing press, books were crazy expensive and rare and worth a lot of money. Thus their inaccessibility to the common man was largely a matter of economics and not at all some dubious means to keep people from reading the Scriptures considering they were read to them by those who priests who could read at every Mass, and whose stories were put into plays or stained glass windows and paintings. And if one really wanted to claim the Church was altering the Scriptures then they needed to prove it with access to the actual Hebrew and Greek, which nobody at large could read and were illiterate in their own language anyway.

Indeed certain nobles took sides seeing a chance to cease giving money to the Church and also grab Church land and property and raise taxes on the local peasants who would lease land at low rates from monks and religious orders who took vows of poverty and lived off the bare minimum and thus weren't in it for large profit like other secular land owners.

So the economic side of things is ripe for exploration with this subject matter. I wonder if it'll get a manga adaptation?
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:52 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Well, Spice & Wolf has been loosely based on European history and events.

Eh, kinda. "Loosely based", yes, but it's got a specific -- pretty narrow and actually kinda uncommon -- context it's based on: the christianisation of lithuania and the baltic and the growth of the north-german trade guilds.

[so the world-building explicitly presents a transitional state. Like a western, or at least like a western written by somebody who knows their historiography.]
Maimishou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
I doubt there'd be any focus on any fictional group representing the Jews, nor would I expect a Martin Luther equivalent.

I've actually seen the theory that Col is might end up being the Martin Luther equivalent. Now I haven't read Spice & Wolf, only Wolf & Parchment so I don't know Col well enough yet to say if that'd make sense for him as a character. You seem more familiar with Spice & Wolf though. What do you think about that idea?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I could maybe see Col being the Martin Luther stand-in, as ML was initially more interested in correcting flaws in the existing Church than starting something new and Col definitely follows his lead in that regard. The big issue there is that ML was pretty much an academic, whereas Col, despite his dedicated studies, is not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Maimishou wrote:
I've actually seen the theory that Col is might end up being the Martin Luther equivalent. ..

Well, that certainly would take care of the celibacy angle...
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
How much do Holo and Lawrence make an appearance here? Or are they simply background characters only known as Myuri's parents and don't do much?
Maimishou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
How much do Holo and Lawrence make an appearance here? Or are they simply background characters only known as Myuri's parents and don't do much?

They're referenced but they don't show up at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1