• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Most Underrated Shonen Jump Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Was Psyren axed? I found it after it was completed and read the whole thing and I remember feeling that the last arc's pacing was kicked into overdrive. I was still fairly new to manga and anime back then.

Yes, Psyren was axed. The author was able to finish out the main thread of the story, though, which is why it doesn't scream "I was axed" but rather makes you wonder if it was. I very much liked Psyren, and it has become somewhat more popular after its cancellation. I actually wouldn't be surprised if an anime adaptation could get funded, but I still think it unlikely. Shame, though--it had one of the best examples of spoiler[time travel] that I'm aware of.

I've also read Double Arts, and while I'm curious to know where it was supposed to be going, it's also quite understandable why it got cancelled. The pacing is just too slow for a new manga. Hell, the mangaka has a comment in the final chapter that he didn't even get around to introducing one of the main characters yet.[/spoiler]
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
wth people? I would have totally read most (if not all) of these. they all sound so good, so interesting, and so different from the norm. shame on you! Mad
HolyR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
Agree with basically all of these. I would argue, though, that the promised neverland has let up recently - it’s been meandering around wondering what the next part of its story is for a while now. Dr. Stone, on the other hand, has really come into its own since the newest arc started up. Still love both.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:34 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty interested in some of these. I shall dive deeper.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:18 am Reply with quote
I must say, I was really glad to see Barrage at the top of the list.

One series I'd give something of an Honorable Mention for is Hi-Fi Cluster. Its premise was very interesting: It's set in a future with technology that allows people to temporarily acquire talents and knowledge from other people, including those who have long died. That is, skill and expertise itself can be bought, sold, and applied to yourself as you want. I felt the series floundered after the first chapter though, when the errand boy wound up being the protagonist. Nothing wrong with the employee at the bottom of the ladder being the protagonist, as that can be done well, but I felt the veteran cop was a much more interesting character and would've made a much better protagonist. But then it wouldn't really fit in to Weekly Shonen Jump. (Come to think of it, that sounds a lot like Dimension W, which also began promising but plummeted soon after.)

One I thought would be on the list that isn't is Gakkyu Hotei. I think that was a series that would've appealed more to teenagers and adults than to children, despite it being set in an elementary school. I'll bet it flopped because it requires knowledge of things not normally found in children's entertainment (such as how drug dealers operate), which turned off the kids, and it being a series about elementary schoolers turned off everyone else. But it is the magazine's very best courtroom drama.

Snakebit1995 wrote:
Horikoshi is a great example that to get a series to succeed in JUMP takes a lot of work, skill and frankly some luck. He had two series before MHA, the one listed here in the article, and one about a Zoo full of animals that turn into people at sunset.

Both aren't bad, both aren't great but their solid attempts. He clearly used what he learned there in MHA, heck two characters from the Zoo, Uwabami and Gang Orca are straight up ripped and dropped into MHA. But he got lucky in that he got three chances, most artists and authors aren't that lucky.

Not everyone can be Oda and get that near perfect masterpiece on the first try. Like all creative fields it takes some skill, some passion, some luck and a whole lot of refining to get it just right.

I would say I enjoyed Barrage quite a bunch, but its quality really dropped once it got ten-weeked.My Hero Academia was definitely better, but still, for both series, it felt like there was a lot of potential for something great, and I felt kind of bad for Horikoshi to see Barrage flop because he had so much promise as a writer and has a distinctive visual style.

Lord Geo wrote:
Really, the biggest let down was that Kubo admitted that he just wasn't ready for the weekly grind, which resulted in him relying too much on what his editor felt that manga needed (instead of using his advice to simply guide the story), which resulted in readers not caring for it anymore, which resulted in cancellation & nigh-depression for Kubo.

Are you describing Zombie Powder, Bleach, or both?

Me, I would like to see Kubo illustrate something written by something else. But I know he's not the sort of person who likes the intense work hours of drawing manga. Still, at the same time, I am curious as to what he can come up with if he has no restrictions. He may be much better suited to make a webcomic than a traditional manga.

NonsenseUser wrote:
Still might have to check out Stealth Symphony though out of curiosity. You definitely got me interested to see how Narita ends it.

Stealth Symphony had the potential to remain interesting for much longer than it was, and the fights themselves are incredibly creative: Either the combatants have strange powers, or they use traditional powers in nontraditional ways. One of the characters, for instance, has his blood clot into gold, and he makes it look like the most overpowered thing ever. It also has the usual weird morality most characters have and the entertainment value in seeing these weirdos cross paths and interact with each other.

If it weren't for how it was suddenly cut short and the story's pacing rocketed to extremes for the last few chapters, I would recommend Stealth Symphony to anyone into reading manga. It's one of those series frequently used as an example of a good series that was canceled due to its failure to find an audience.

marshmallowpie wrote:
Great article. When you look into the more ""obscure"" side of Jump, you can find a lot of interesting manga. With Jump, yeah, you could potentially be the next Kishimoto, though probably not, but even if your manga gets cancelled quickly, you may end up like Komi or Furudate. As a reader, it's pretty fun to check out what they did before they managed to make something stick. Yotsuya-senpai is certainly very different from Haikyuu. With Barrage, it's nice because there are actually physical English volumes available, so there's no reason not to read it, if you're a fan of Horikoshi.

Stealth Symphony, on the other hand, if you want to read it in English, legally, the only way is by digital SJ back issues, which are long unavailable. In the Japanese volumes, the final chapter is extended, but I don't think any translation exists?

Ah, so that's why I couldn't find any volumes of Stealth Symphony, whereas I at least found Barrage (after much looking around) and got both volumes. Stealth bombed that hard, didn't it?

Ruddor wrote:
As for other SJ suggestions, I know it's kind of cheating but I feel like more people need to read World Trigger, especially since it is currently on hiatus.

Indefnite hiatus, more specifically, due to Daisuke Ashihara currently being physically unable to draw. I'd warn that to anyone who wants to start reading World Trigger, as it means not only is there no ending, it just suddenly stops due to the sudden nature of the hiatus.

harminia wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
heck two characters from the Zoo, Uwabami and Gang Orca are straight up ripped and dropped into MHA

I love how unsubtle it is too. Like, exact same designs and names.

Horikoshi must use that concept popularized by Osamu Tezuka. What was it called again? I think he referred to his characters as "actors" and just freely used them in different series, contexts, and sometimes names, and the most well-known examples in the west nowadays are Looney Tunes and the Super Mario games.

Pidgeot18 wrote:
I've also read Double Arts, and while I'm curious to know where it was supposed to be going, it's also quite understandable why it got cancelled. The pacing is just too slow for a new manga. Hell, the mangaka has a comment in the final chapter that he didn't even get around to introducing one of the main characters yet.[/spoiler]

That slow, leisurely pace seems to be Naoshi Komi's style though. But yeah, that doesn't really help a manga's lastability when it isn't a romance like Nisekoi. (Also reminds me of how, based on the Author's Comments section, during Nisekoi's run, Komi was the only author for the magazine who got a Wii U but did not get the fast-paced Splatoon.)

HolyR wrote:
Agree with basically all of these. I would argue, though, that the promised neverland has let up recently - it’s been meandering around wondering what the next part of its story is for a while now. Dr. Stone, on the other hand, has really come into its own since the newest arc started up. Still love both.

To the contrary, I think The Promised Neverland finally found its direction shortly before spoiler[the kids escape]. All of the actual meandering around happened just before that, and each chapter since has had at least one important plot point or information about the world. To me, it felt like the authors expected The Promised Neverland to get canceled and wrote it accordingly, but to their surprise, it was chosen to stay in the magazine, and they needed about a dozen chapters or so to reorient themselves for a longer narrative.

In particular, I am pretty hyped about the arc it's currently in (spoiler[the Goldy Pond arc]), as they just introduced a very interesting new villain.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
Barrage had pretty great start, but then the quality quickly dropped. It feels bland and forgettable compared to Horikoshi's previous Oumagadoki Zoo which was fun and colorful throughout its rather short run. But nevertheless I was pretty sad when Barrage got axed... Until he made BNHA anyway.

Stealth Symphony was.... How supposed I say this? Weird pacing? The action is fast paced typical Narita, yet everything else feels slow especially for weekly Jump manga. It feels as if Narita didn't know how to manage weekly manga pacing (which he admitted in author notes in the tankobon version) and more suitable for monthly. Still, based on the Author notes it seems like he planned some crazy things in later arcs but alas.

marshmallowpie wrote:

Stealth Symphony, on the other hand, if you want to read it in English, legally, the only way is by digital SJ back issues, which are long unavailable. In the Japanese volumes, the final chapter is extended, but I don't think any translation exists?

Was it? I have the Indonesian version of Stealth Symphony tankobon but I don't recall any additional scenes. The first volume did include the Jump VS oneshot which wasn't translated in English (officialy or not).
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:42 am Reply with quote
I found out about Double Arts after Nisekoi, and liked the sound of that series. It's something I wish could make a comeback, but that'll never happen.

On Psyren, I actually ended up collecting that series in full this year, along with reading it. Love it, warts and all.

Promised Neverland is a series I'm interest in at the moment. But, will be waiting for a few volumes to come out and check out the reviews there. The premise interests me, though I feel like I need to find out mroe about the series before I start using my hard earned on it.

My Hero Academia is a series I think I will start collecting. Finished watching the 2nd season last week, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus, with some series I've been collecting either ending or coming to an end, have room in my budget. It'll become the only action series I collect, seeing as Fairy Tail has that spot and will be ending in a couple more volumes.
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who likes Hinomaru Zumou?
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
you know as I'm reading these descriptions I go "huh that sounds really cool/neat/interesting"
Then I noticed they all mentioned that they were canceled or cut short in some way or another and I'm wondering why on earth does this writer keep talking about canceled series then I double back at the article title and I read
Quote:
The Most Underrated Shonen Jump Manga

Yeah F*** you shonnen jump.
I absolutely abhor their cut-throat reader survey system. Many series that I may not have rated as the absolute best have been canceled and or wrapped up far too quickly(usually for the former reason). And while I may start to dislike a series if it starts getting stale or unpopular I always finish them unless its something incredibly abhorrent(the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is fairy tail and even that I plan to finish... someday).

Just a few manga that I can remember being cut before getting a proper conclusion are: SWOT, Kurogane, medakas box(this may have run its course but its pace at the end just kicked into overdrive so i'm not too sure), Psyren, Beelzebub, Pretty Face, Mx0, Demon's Plan, Katekyō Hitman Reborn!(again this one may have also run its course but it just felt like there was still so much more left to be explored).

Honestly it's my worst fear to grow attached to a manga series and then find out that its running in shonnen jump because then there's a high chance that what started out unique will transmogrify into something 'mainstream' to keep viewers and if they aren't interesting enough they get axed.

Pidgeot18 wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
Was Psyren axed? I found it after it was completed and read the whole thing and I remember feeling that the last arc's pacing was kicked into overdrive. I was still fairly new to manga and anime back then.

Yes, Psyren was axed. The author was able to finish out the main thread of the story, though, which is why it doesn't scream "I was axed" but rather makes you wonder if it was. I very much liked Psyren, and it has become somewhat more popular after its cancellation. I actually wouldn't be surprised if an anime adaptation could get funded, but I still think it unlikely. Shame, though--it had one of the best examples of spoiler[time travel] that I'm aware of.

I'm certain Psyren was axed well before the author wanted to conclude it because I distinctly remember the main characters getting "power-ups" out of thin air whereas all before their other "power-ups" happened naturally.
Also if you liked the concept of spoiler[time travel] then I'd suggest spoiler[Steins;Gate, Threads of Time, Boku Dake ga Inai Machi]
The first is one of my absolute favorites. Also the 2nd one should be labeled as a tragedy but its still great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3