• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Descending Stories: Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeNeko San

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:36 am Reply with quote
We're making comparisons to Bunny Drop, we need to talk about their relative ages. After the time skip in Drop, Rin was 16 when she made her life decisions.

Rakugo Shinju: In the manga Konatsu was 20 and Yotaro was 22 when they first met. In the anime there's a time skip of ten years between first season's first and last episode, so Konatsu would have been around 30 when she had Shinosuke.

I could see someone being baby-crazy at age thirty and making a cold-blooded assessment of the men in her life and picking the (perceived) best genetic material.

However, because it's Konatsu we're talking about, I think she had a passionate affair with Aniki that ended badly. She and Aniki would have been acquainted for those ten years before Shinosuke came along.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
So a nap and some much needed caffeine has led to some reflection on my part. To be clear, I don't think Rakugo as a show is somehow "ruined" by this revelation, and I do understand both narratively and thematically why the audience was basically shut out of this relationship in order to make it a compelling twist. And I can admit that based on my personal preferences, I really don't care for guardian/adoptive parent x foster kid relationships, and there was likely very little Rakugo as a story could've done to alleviate that.

Having said that, I do think it would've helped me to accept this more easily if it didn't feel like it came out of nowhere for Yakumo as the audience knows him. (And yeah, I'm painfully aware of the meta-commentary of the truth being stickier than the tale we're shown as a viewer and how that ties into Rakugo both as a story and as an art form.)

But I can also accept that my issues are probably getting amplified by one of my narrative pet peeves (and it's hardly a manga-only problem), where authors drop a (typically implausible) bomb on their audiences and leave the heavy lifting of "How the heck did that happen?" to their audiences with a cheeky "Use your imagination. Wink" So if my frustration with a lack of development of this particular plot point seems nitpicky or just downright silly, well, there's your answer.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
True, the revelation in the ending was a bit baffling as the outcome could have been achieved in different ways that are not covered in the manga/anime.

By the way, according to the timeline, the main hero has died too early: he was only 72 or something like that (born in 1926, died in 1998); the character could have been easily leaving until 2010s, including even today.

I love anime that cover rare, unique subjects such as playing games such as Go, or poetry such as Karuta or the art of dramatic performance such as this one. They deserve "Excellent" or even "Masterpiece" ratings and need to be supported. I am glad that this particular anime has got to Japanese all-time top 100 anime ranking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10