• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbzmike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 119 was kind of underwhelming to me.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed it because I like that these were opponents that they needed to defeat with strategy not raw power.

That being said for all the hype (from the fandom not from anything the series said to be fair) U4 was a bit underwhelming and Piccolo I feel was treated unfairly. I can see how Piccolo fans would be disappointed in how he was rung out. I guess at least he defeated one of the bugs this episode.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 119,

Pretty sure that as soon as you know there is an opponent you can't see, staying away from the edges of the ring would be the first thing you should do. Hell, that should be something to do regardless in case of surprise attacks. Way too many people hanging around the edges in this ep.

Anyway, glad to see other universes being wrapped up faster now, not too many left at this point.

This is what I thought when Piccolo was standing near the edge waiting for the "invisible" opponent. Piccolo is much smarter and should know not to do something like that. Not a good depiction of characters, but at least another universe is defeated.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:44 am Reply with quote
Well Picollo's elimination was better than Krillin's at least. Picollo literally didn't know what hit him until it was too late. In fact it put everyone except Jiren on high alert before 17 actually figured it out. Krillin on the other hand let his guard down and get eliminated for it
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Frieza MIGHT get a chance to show his duplicitous side against Goku, but other than that I expect most everyone else on U7 (aside from Goku obviously, and MAYBE Vegeta) to basically be fodder to show how strong of a challenge Goku must face. Rolling Eyes
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I enjoyed it because I like that these were opponents that they needed to defeat with strategy not raw power.

That being said for all the hype (from the fandom not from anything the series said to be fair) U4 was a bit underwhelming and Piccolo I feel was treated unfairly. I can see how Piccolo fans would be disappointed in how he was rung out. I guess at least he defeated one of the bugs this episode.

He didn’t defeat one of the bugs. He defeated an invisible lizard and a tiny monster. There’s only one bug in U4
Ethe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
My hunch tells me Freeza's gonna team up with Goku to defeat Jiren at the very end of the tournament. I also feel like there's a slight possibility he will be the one to obtain the Super Dragon Balls Razz
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the writers messed up the structure of this arc a bit. After months without any universes being erased, we suddenly get three in two episodes (and stranger still, the most boring universe of all of them, 4, gets its own episode while the far more interesting 2 and 6 are forced to share an ep) and signs point to Universe 3 likely joining them next week.

It feels like the writers are rushing to remove every team that doesn't have Jiren on it after spinning their wheels for weeks (and meanwhile, U11 is still somehow holding on despite none of the three remaining fighters having done anything in a long time.)

And then there's the problem of U7 still having a huge advantage in terms of remaining fighters. It's looking more likely that three or four of Goku's teammates will likely get wiped out in one big attack once Jiren wakes up and decides to start being part of the plot again. Which is fine, I guess, but it would have been more interesting to see U7's team get picked off little by little as the tourney went on. Instead they've largely dominated. Jiren doesn't really need to take out Gohan or the Androids to establish how strong he is at this point.

That said, I'm still enjoying this arc, mostly because the fights are well-done and the new characters are so unique and well designed. But it really does fall apart structurally if you think about it even a little bit.

TWO VERY IMPORTANT POINTS:

1- Piccolo continues the streak of only bald guys getting eliminated from U7. No doubt this means that Freeza will be next, however he can increase his odds of survival by shaving everyone else's heads.

2- Universe 2 was ROBBED. Erase Goku and turn this into the Ribrianne show.
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
You know what would be nice to see, although highly unlikely? Freeza being the betrayed instead of the betrayer. The reason Freeza is playing along is simply is that it is in its best interest to keep the other members of Universe 7 alive for now. Once Jiren is gone or massively injured that changes. And I'd like to think the other members of Universe 7 can realize that. While it goes against either Goku's or Vegeta's character to do this I would love to see either Gohan or one of the androids explain that they only teamed with Freeza out of nessecesity and they don't trust him, and that once it's down to just them and Universe 11 they'd rather have Jiren quickly take out Freeza than take a chance on pitting Goku against him rather than take the chance on Freeza backstabbing them. Given all of the horrffic things that Freeza has done and how unrepentant he is I doubt it would take much convincing. I doubt this will happen but I would love to see it.

On another note has anyone else noticed how much damage the ring has taken? If Jiren IS defeated I have a feeling it won't be by knockout but by destroying the ring under his feet. Goodness knows it's taken enough damage.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Know what I think would be funny? If Frieza actually manipulated things so that he is the sole survivor of the tournament and is allowed to make a wish on the Super Dragon Balls. So he winds up trying to wish that he was dominant over all the other gods and angels, mocking them while doing so. Then he finds out that Super Shenron only takes wishes in the language of the gods, which screws him over the same way he lost the third wish on Namek by not being able to speak Namekian, and he winds up getting erased instead of someone translating that wish for him. Plus it gets Goku out of having to wish for him to be restored to life.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Ep 120,

Ugh, I was hoping universe 3 would be eliminated this episode, but they're dragging it out some more. No one cares about these guys, I don't even remember any of their names.

At the end, when the doctor guy was holding up his staff and saying "Observe my most powerful secret technique" I was hoping someone would just knock him out while he was talking. Seriously, he was standing there for like 10 seconds not doing anything.

I wonder how long the final battle will be dragged out, we're almost at the end of this anime season, maybe the fight with Jiren lasts all next season.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
yes, probably, and let'snot forget that it's jiren and his two pals, which I hope ruins some theories on jiren taking out too much people, otherwise it will be the osaka arc again.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I wonder how long the final battle will be dragged out, we're almost at the end of this anime season, maybe the fight with Jiren lasts all next season.

Ongoing shonen series like this one don't really have any reason to be concerned about seasons. So long as they aren't planning on ending it soon and putting something else in its timeslot, they can take as long or as little as they want with the pacing.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Just FYI: none of the last three robots to be sent flying have been officially rung out yet... If you watched the Next Episode preview, well, I think it's clear what is going to happen with his last secret special move thing.

BTW, I'm not really into the Giant Robots fighting genre, so I'll be glad when this is over and we get on to the real fight.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
There are 10 minutes remaining for the battle. This arc has surpassed the Frieza vs Goku battle in terms of time dilation.

Either a lot of people are going to get eliminated quickly, or the tournament will be won based on the team with the most participants remaining.

I'd suggest that there will be a twist, but DB isn't great at compelling twists.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 40