• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recovery of an MMO Junkie (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Darkmagick, you put into words calmly, politely and logically what I am too irritated/annoyed to express in like manner.

I also agree that Koiwai is not a malicious jerk. He's just pushy and doesn't think things through very well. I'm sure the show itself assumes we think he is a jerk, but in kind of a friendly, comedic way.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

She was sure happy to be back at her place, but she clearly really enjoyed both of her dates, the lucky duck. She thinks it will be the end of her luck, but both the guys like her, she doesn't need to end it here. Yuta seems to think he is over for instead Koiwai, who instead seems into giving a Yuta a fair fight over her. Sure Koiwai is a little pushy, but he acted well, and I think knew when he had to back down. One of the things he pushed was how did Yuta know she would be there, which could take as Koiwai being a little worried if Yuta is actually stalking her past a boundary. They were cute dates where they were able to have a good time.

I liked how the end of this episode in some way kind of lined up with how the ED finishes, with a healthier looking Moriko going onto the computer. I wonder where we are going from here, whether maybe she has run ins with more online friends, and or as she said that she would like to work in a company that had people like Yuta and Koiwai.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
I'm feeling lazy so I'm just going to cut and paste what I wrote in the episode review thread:

I suspect I had overly high expectations for Moriko and Yuta's get-together (I'd been eagerly awaiting it for a week) but I did find it kind of underwhelming. It's possible I was also hoping that Yuta would reveal that he is Lily. It's funny - for most of the series I was always hoping there'd be more real world stuff instead of prolonged "in game" interaction. I finally get an episode where that's true and it just felt kinda... flat.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
I feel like I might need to walk back what I said about Koiwai having bad behavior but ultimately just being pushy and in need of a privilege check. That rape joke was really slimy, and I personally wouldn't feel safe with someone who thought that was funny. Men who make misogynistic jokes frequently mean what they say, and then hide behind "I'm joking" when someone calls them on it.

(I don't really expect the series to go anywhere serious with this, but Koiwai is becoming a real fly in the ointment for an otherwise cute show.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

This was a rough one. I swear I felt every line in my bones. That anxiety over how a storyline will play out, or whether you can slip a new character by without others realizing who's behind the keyboard, or someone dropping a bombshell that completely changes everything - all so, so familiar. This series really knows how to get me where I live. Very Happy

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
*snicker*

Ah, Gin-duh, I BELIEVE you mean episode 7. Geez, what kinda of LOSER can't even get the episode number right??? (...hee hee hee...)

Yes, things are getting complicated. I was hoping that Morimori-chan/Hayashi was going to tell Yuta/Lily that Koiwai/Harumi was a jerk.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
It's because it's going by faster than it seems, unlike other series that feel like they're taking forever. Razz
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:50 am Reply with quote
I admit that I laughed when seeing Koiwai's bombshell beauty.

Kanbe figured out even Koiwai quickly, so it is safe to assume that he knows Morioka. While Yuta seems to have had the flash that Morioka may be his friend from a previous game based on her temporary avatar, where he will in turn create a character like his previous one to see if there is recognition, while Morioka will know that this will be Yuta. Things are coming to a head.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Well, I was almost raging at my screen when the show did the lame, classic cop-out with a confession/reveal being interrupted by something (in this case Yuuta's phone's battery dying). But then the show completely fixed that by having Yuuta reveal to Moriko that he is Lily in person. You had me there show, you had me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:15 am Reply with quote
I was not too worried, as it felt likely that Yuuta could not let it go on much longer, it would not be fair and thus something he would do, especially after Moriko actually took the initiative earlier to call and put herself out.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

I feel like the awkwardness levels were really amped up this episode. It was mildly infuriating watching those two have a difficulty in communicating properly. But it was a rather sweet episode nonetheless. I would have wanted to see the moment where they agreed to go on a date. Who asked who out? I wanted to see that goddammit!

Anyway it was a pleasant show. It didn't do anything mindblowing, but was consistently enjoyable in my opinion.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:02 am Reply with quote
Finale

Crying or Very sad *cries*
It ended!

And I actually have a couple disappointments in that for how I think 2 more episodes could easily have been filled despite the main characters getting face to face. Amongst that is by ED alone it does not feel finished, the ED showing Moriko in Sakurai workplace, and we see who I suspect is Lilac. We never go to see Lilac in real life despite her appearing in the ED like it had me thinking that maybe she would be a part of helping Morioka, and there was set up for something with her and Kanbe. The ending we got only feels like a chapter of what should include more.

But I still really enjoyed this show. It might not have had big fancy art, really dramatic plot points, super psychological character breakdowns, or even something that would leave you gasping for breath between laughter, but I still think it might have been my favourite of the season. Moriko's character alone is simply a hoot, a lot of her just felt true to life, relatable, and a highlight of one's insecurities about themselves, even into their adult years. And maybe that was just one of the most novel yet niche fulfilling parts of the show, the age of the characters is a super positive thing within a medium which more often then not focuses on a time of youth that passes and leaves people in a somewhat odd position. That it is kind of comforting to see someone in that sort of position, who although might be feeling crushed by aspects of life, one can have some light in the tunnel to do something to move forward.

And that was the aspect I was especially hoping to see, Moriko being able to move forward. Which her going on dates with two gentlemen was a nice start, we are ending as that seems about to really start. Like the romcoms that end at "I love you", frustrating that it is ending. But I also want to appreciate what was done, and I still really enjoyed it. I would even find myself really enjoying the humour which was otherwise low key, but I felt invested in the characters. I will give a rating of Very good (8/10), it was my favourite of the season, but there were certainly places it could have been better. Like match it with Sakura Quest or something (longer).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quote
I liked this show a lot and gave it a rating of Good. As DP noted above, it didn't do anything mind-blowing (other than perhaps have a woman in her 30s be the main character which, in anime terms, is almost revolutionary) but it had heart and some chuckles. I'm a little disappointed in the ending in that the two MCs getting together was kinda "meh" for me as opposed to highly satisfying, mostly because it concentrated on their supreme awkwardness which is just way too common in anime romances. Oh well. Looking forward to the OVA!
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:19 am Reply with quote
I really loved this. I though that the concept hit me harder than most people. Overall I guess that anime sorely lacks women in their 30s as main characters and I could relate more with this kind of character than those teenagers all the time. I guess I am getting older. Anyway, thing is that there is a lot of manga with adult women characters but they are not often adapted into animation.

Also this is the first MMO anime that I really liked. I watched Log Horizon and Sword of Art Online before but they both suck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
OVA / Episode 11

Bonzai where there was at least one more extra episode, which has me thinking that they might not have initially planned this, but is I think appreciated as some sort of send-off.

The first part was of Sakurai helping Moriko build a new computer, which was cute with him going over her place. These dorks are so fun to watch.

The second part went for a dream story, so that they could just have fun. It had Moriko falling into Fruits de Mer, being given the quest to save Princess Sakura from the demon king. As expected, the demon king is of course Sakurai, and the princess is Sakurai' who seems almost specifically in a Princess Peach outfit. And some of the extra fun parts included players interacted with their characters, Moriko meeting Hayashi. It was very funny.

Okay, I can feel a bit happier about sending this off now. although I do still wish we could have more about the secondary cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4