• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ace Attorney Anime's English Dub Clip Previews 1st Case

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
immblueversion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Not bad. And if we combine this with Funimation's basic scripting process, the pacing may feel a bit smoother, too.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I feel like a good dub could (kinda) benefit this series. During streaming, and having never played the games, I made it through a couple of episodes and lost interest. I really have come to dislike some of the quirky character voices they use in dubs for villains and side characters, but under veteran staff, I think some of the intentional humor can really polish this show.

It's not a hard pass at this point, but maybe a re-watch is in order.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
Having never played the games myself yet watched the entire anime series in the original Japanese, I have to say Im gonna have a very hard time adapting to the westernized names mostly because I prefer to keep the original. Dubbing is one thing but westernizing the names is another matter....for me anyway
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:55 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad Funi is dubbing this one. The anime itself is not great, but their style of humor is perfect for Ace Attorney and I hope they had some fun with it. The voice acting in this preview is great - Eric Vale is nailing it as Phoenix and I love the judge!

GhostD wrote:
Having never played the games myself yet watched the entire anime series in the original Japanese, I have to say Im gonna have a very hard time adapting to the westernized names mostly because I prefer to keep the original. Dubbing is one thing but westernizing the names is another matter....for me anyway

Most fans of the game feel differently, though. All of the Japanese names are (especially bad) puns, and the English version gave them (equally bad) punny names, and missing out on these puns would be missing out a big part of the AA experience. As anime fans, I think localizing names hits a sore spot still. But there are rare cases like this where it works and just makes sense.

I'd say it's like trying to watch Pokemon only using Japanese names, but then again, there are Pokemon sub purists around here that do insist on using Japanese pokemon names, so. But that's why I really applaud Crunchyroll for going to the effort of having two sub tracks with both names so everyone's happy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Most fans of the game feel differently, though. All of the Japanese names are (especially bad) puns, and the English version gave them (equally bad) punny names, and missing out on these puns would be missing out a big part of the AA experience. As anime fans, I think localizing names hits a sore spot still. But there are rare cases like this where it works and just makes sense.

I'd say it's like trying to watch Pokemon only using Japanese names, but then again, there are Pokemon sub purists around here that do insist on using Japanese pokemon names, so. But that's why I really applaud Crunchyroll for going to the effort of having two sub tracks with both names so everyone's happy.

While I do consider myself a purist to a certain degree, Im not as hardcore as some. I get the puns in the names in both English and Japanese but I guess in the end it will all depend on the quality of the dub and as long as Funi doesnt change the scripting too much or make mentions of certain topics that they became somewhat infamous for among fans. I watched the CR version with the Japanese names so naturally I got used to them after finishing the series.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
This show has many, many, many problems. At least the dub could give us a few good things to balance it out.
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:00 am Reply with quote
Vid is blocked for me but I refuse to believe any of these voices are as good as ProZD and Manky's voicing every character in their hilarious playthrough, and those will forever be the canon english voices to me. Especially Gumshoe.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:58 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
and the English version gave them (equally bad) punny names, and missing out on these puns would be missing out a big part of the AA experience. As anime fans, I think localizing names hits a sore spot still. But there are rare cases like this where it works and just makes sense.

Yeah at least until you factor in the whole silliness of them taking the series of out of Japan and switching it to America and in turn turning America into something else. As for trying to cater to the western section of the fanbase by having two sub tracks with the other one having the western naming conventions it still looks just as silly as watching their Yu-Gi-Oh subs and having the monsters using their english names even when the monsters names are very obviously not the same.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Most fans of the game feel differently, though.

Correction: Most fans of the American version of the games.

Quote:
But that's why I really applaud Crunchyroll for going to the effort of having two sub tracks with both names so everyone's happy.

Part of the thing with the game localization was the insertion of tons of pop culture jokes, internet memes, and American humor. Just putting a track with American names isn't going to do much if people liked the American games for the specific humor. A real effort would be putting troll subs on the episodes. Since they didn't, they'll have to hope Funimation gives it a total gag dub like Shin-chan or Ghost Stories if they want it like the games they played. Of course, then the question becomes do they use outdated memes from 2008 to preserve it as a time capsule or update it to modern ones like dabbing, yaas queen, and Trump jokes.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
As for trying to cater to the western section of the fanbase by having two sub tracks with the other one having the western naming conventions it still looks just as silly as watching their Yu-Gi-Oh subs and having the monsters using their english names even when the monsters names are very obviously not the same.

If the subs had a split track for Yu-Gi-Oh that'd be great, but they hedged their choices and use Japanese human names but dub names for the cards. I'd rather they do one track with all dub names and one all Japanese names, but laziness, I guess. That's why official subs just don't work for some series. I was legitimately surprised Gyakuten Saiban got a sub version with original names since Rockman, Pokemon, Digimon, and YGO fans have been forced to use raws and fansubs for years... and two of those don't even have dubtitles to criticize, just dub-only viewings.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
If the subs had a split track for Yu-Gi-Oh that'd be great, but they hedged their choices and use Japanese human names but dub names for the cards. I'd rather they do one track with all dub names and one all Japanese names, but laziness, I guess. That's why official subs just don't work for some series. I was legitimately surprised Gyakuten Saiban got a sub version with original names since Rockman, Pokemon, Digimon, and YGO fans have been forced to use raws and fansubs for years... and two of those don't even have dubtitles to criticize, just dub-only viewings.

If I recall right I think the show stopped using the original names after it got licensed by Funi. After that they switched over to the American names although I might be wrong
MrBonk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
This dub sounds great so far. Eric vale is so much closer to how I imagined Phoenix in my head for years.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Now can Funi preview the Japanese audio with English subs?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1