• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Game: Round 17

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Sub:

"I don't know anyone else that's turned into a black hole after not seeing them for a while."
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[She's not even kidding. Her friend really did become a black hole.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
Hint #2: spoiler[The friend became a black hole to appease the gods that want to kill them all.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
Hint #3: spoiler[The speaker is the president of a club that does various heroic activities including protecting what little remains of humanity.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Hint #4: spoiler[This episode was released last Friday.]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I was thrown for a bit because I thought this line was in this week's episode and I knew that Vaisaga is normally more careful than that, so I was sure I was being misled. spoiler[Fu talking about Mimori in episode 9 of Yuki Yuna is a Hero s2, at the point where they first spot the "black hole" where the missing Mimori seems to be.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
A little late but not significantly so. Your turn.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
New sub quote:

Character A: "That girl called out '<Character C's name>' at the very end."
Character B: "What?
Character C: "But why? Why my name?"
Character B: "Because it's not a person's name to her."
Character C: "Eh?"
Character D: "The word '<Character C's name>' in her language means 'the highest love of all.' <Character C's name> means 'the love of God' in the <spoiler> language."
Character C: "Why? What about this is 'the love of God'? How can it make a person do something like that?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[For most of the episode prior to this point, Character C had been miffed that the girl in question was avoiding saying Character C's name. This scene explains why.]
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Know series and context without hints, but need to skim through to find who A and B are.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Ok, got it.

spoiler[Simoun. The suicide bomber called out 'AERU' before setting off the explosives, and it turns out that the name means the love of god in her language. A and B are Floe and Dominura. D is Limone.]
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:43 am Reply with quote
Official subs list D as spoiler[Rimone], but otherwise correct.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
In Japanese there is no phonemic disctinction between the sounds we know as "l" and "r", hence when we transcribe Japanese into Latin script either representation is equally valid. So, spoiler[Limone = Rimone] in any meaningful sense, just as Horo = Holo. Whether you spell the names one or the other is entirely arbitrary.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
But when official translations use one particular spelling then that spelling should be taken as correct.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
My personal preference (and I stress personal) is spoiler[Limone]. Several of the characters have names that, in English, are appropriate to their personality or role in the series, eg spoiler[Dominura and Aer] to name just two. spoiler[Limone] always has me thinking of the word liminal, meaning to be on the threshold between one state and another, or to be on both sides of a boundary, which is precisely what she attempts to do spoiler[with the emerald majon]. I have no idea if that was intentional on the part of the creators, but it's a neat association.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 32