• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yuki Yuna is a Hero Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
does anything in the supplemental materials for this franchise indicate where they hell they are? The thought briefly crossed my mind back during season 1, but after this episode, I'm now wondering if they are inside of a giant mystical tree floating on the surface of the sun

They're on Earth. The Heavenly Gods turned the world outside the barrier into the burning hellscape you see to ensure humanity stays put.

Niello wrote:
Seeing Sonoko explained the new system made me feel a bit disappointed. Now they aren't protected from dying and I don't think that's better than the previous system. Since Sonoko had already seen one of her friends died it's weird to see her so happy about it. Though the old system is definitely cruel, even someone who sacrificed so much like Sonoko was able to return to 100%. Why can't they pull that again? If they really want to improve the system, it makes more sense to build on the previous one instead of just changing how it all works. I'm not seeing why it can't be just be losing certain bodily functions for however many days, weeks or months after going Mankai, it's not like what get sacrificed are consistent in the first place.

It's a power issue. Shinjuu doesn't have unlimited energy reserves. Going Mankai freely uses a lot of power and requires a sacrifice to recoup some of that. So the new system removes the Sange, but minimizes the power drain on the Shinjuu as a result.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
getchman wrote:
does anything in the supplemental materials for this franchise indicate where they hell they are? The thought briefly crossed my mind back during season 1, but after this episode, I'm now wondering if they are inside of a giant mystical tree floating on the surface of the sun

They're on Earth. The Heavenly Gods turned the world outside the barrier into the burning hellscape you see to ensure humanity stays put.

ok, so now my next question is, how far does the barrier extend? is it just their city, or is there more we aren't shown and they just live near the edge of the barrier?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I forget the exact extent of it but it's a small portion of Japan. It's large enough that there are several cities and many potential hero teams spread out over the area.
Artesox

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
getchman wrote:

ok, so now my next question is, how far does the barrier extend? is it just their city, or is there more we aren't shown and they just live near the edge of the barrier?

It's the entire island of Shikoku, meaning YuYuYu's habitable world has an area of 18,800 km2 (7,300 sq mi), which is about the size of New Jersey.

The YuYuYu girls live in Kan'onji while the WaSuYu girls lived in Sakaide.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
The mention of the ceremony taking place at the end of the Christian Era might not have any deeper meaning beyond just being a reference to the Nogi Wakaba is a Hero light novel spin-off series. The four girls depicted in that mural-like image in the new opening are from that series. So either that story is going to somehow be connected to this new season, or it was just a nod to those that have read the novel.

Or NoWaYu is going to get an anime. I'm really hoping all the references to it are leading up to an anime announcement once this season ends.
Artesox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Takahiro, Uezu and Kishi should just go and make an actual, not too tragic, Slice of Life already, because damn, was the sol of this episode nice, Sonoko, Fuu, Karin and Itsuki were very fun today, and they all acted beyond just walked archetypes.

On the more serious side, Yuuna is finally getting her character explored. That shift is symbolized by the fact this is the first time we see her house and her internal thoughts, she was the only character in S1 who we never had any of that.

Not that what Yuuna does now is not present in S1, episode 6 had those aspects, which were of course overshadowed by Karin running away from her issues and Tougou brooding over the effects of Sange. Eerily, this episode not only mirrors Yuuna's own behavior in that episode, but her actions were in a sense similar to both Tougou and Karin's.

On the downer side, Shinju is losing leaves. As someone said on Reddit, the shots of bare trees, the talk of power outages, all point towards the Tree being low on power. Is it because the Shinju is spending a world's worth of energy stopping Yuuna from being sacrificed? Is it simply because after 300 years it can no longer hold back? Who knows, it does not look nice.
Niello

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I love the way YuYuYu portrays a smart character like Sonoko so naturally. It's the subtle kind that you don't often see in fiction.
GoldenPincers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
I love the way YuYuYu portrays a smart character like Sonoko so naturally. It's the subtle kind that you don't often see in fiction.

We knew from WaSuYu that Sonoko was a very smart person, she just never outright showed it because of her bubbly personality.
But after 2 years of being kept as Taisha's ultimate weapon, she had more than enough time to mature, learn about many details of the organization and Shinju, and simply had to become cunning and harsher due to her environment. Her picking up on things others can't is part of that.

Concerning the new Hero System and the whole "Mimori is punished" aspects:

Like Vaisaga said, Mankai raised the Heroes' powers expodentially but that required a lot of energy from Shinju to do so. To balance Shinju's lost energy, something had to be given in exchange to replenish said energy (or he wouldn't be able to hold the barrier for much longer). The new Hero System removes Sange, thus removing the loss of bodily functions, while Mankai & the Fairies now have limits to decrease the energy needed for Shinju to provide whenever a Mankai boost happens.

WaSuYu's system was: tell the Heroes everything, grant them powers, no side-effects on either Shinju or Heroes. It failed.
YuYuYu's system was: hide everything from Heroes, grant them immortality via Fairies, grant Mankai, with side-effects on Shinju losing lots of energy and on Heroes losing bodily functions via Sange. It more than failed: it nearly backfired from a double breakdown from Fuu and Mimori.
YuYuShou's system IS an evolution as it builds upon the 2 previous systems we know of. No more hiding, balance out the energy spent by Shinju and the powers granted to Heroes.

Quote:
one of the glaring issues from the first season: Mimori was never punished for her actions

I never saw Mimori's non-punishment as an issue. Shinju and Taisha have far more pressing matters to deal with than punishing Mimori: they have a new Hero System to build, predictions to make via oracles on the Vertex situation, a world to protect, and as seen in KuMeYu spoiler[prepare a counter-attack.] Mimori's actions and breakdown served to showcase YuYuYu's Hero System's flaws and effects on the minds of the Heroes. It's Taisha's own fault if Mimori went "fudge the world" in S1.
Mimori's sacrifice at the start of S2 was more about Mimori feeling she should be punished for her betrayal, rather than the Taisha wanting to punish Mimori themselves. The Taisha may have been dicks over the many Yuusha entries, but they aren't evil by any means. They don't want to see the world crumble more than anyone else; they are trying to find the optimal solution... they sadly haven't found it yet. It's sad and tragic, but trial and error is the only way to go about evolving the System.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm also intrigued by the final line of the next episode preview: “Yuki Yuna will get married.”

Huh???

I mean if she's only got until April to live she's gotta run through some life events.
Niello

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
GoldenPincers wrote:
Niello wrote:

We knew from WaSuYu that Sonoko was a very smart person, she just never outright showed it because of her bubbly personality.

When I said YuYuYu I mean the whole franchise though...
Also she showed that from the beginning. A lot of smart people irl don't go out of their way to boast how smart they are, something a lot of fictions don't do too well and have to find way to showcase that they are smart. It's what I mean, the bubbly personality is one of what made the portrayal so well done.
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
My heart is crying. I hope things work out in the end.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote
GoldenPincers wrote:

I never saw Mimori's non-punishment as an issue.

Perhaps your reasoning about the organization, is as you say. But they came to "one second to midnight" on the Doomsday Clock. All human life, including the organization's came that close to being exterminated. Human nature is human nature after all, I find it a tad unbelievable that no one was at least a little peeved about almost dying. A more believable organizational response would be locking her up in the psych ward forever so she could not do that again. After all you tried killing our loved ones, our children, really everyone, but of course we forgive you.

But that is only one half of the equation. The over half is her team mates reaction, which was nothing, just business as usual. The magical girls have families and loved ones. She tried to kill them all. Not sure what type of death would happen, if she had succeeded. But since the gods broiled the rest of the world, I guess it would be a gruesome means of death. It is beyond the pale, that not one of the magical girls had anything to say on the matter. Ho hum it is just another day in the neighborhood.

If what had happened, had been broadcasted to the world, and everyone watched it live, what would you say after to your loved ones and family. Could you really say, well I know her backstory, its not really who she is, it is all the governments fault, and you shouldn't blame her she was just having a bad day. After everyone suffering a near death experience, and they all knowing who their executioner was; what kind of face would your loved ones be giving you.......
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:51 am Reply with quote
@ TarsTarkas -why would The Amnesty be interested in punishing Togo when, in all likelihood, they understood that it was their handling of the Heroes that led to Togo snapping? Why would her friends be interested in being angry with her when they - better than anybody else - would understand why she would snap? Not only that, but her action inadvertantly saved them all from eventually ending up like Sonoko, which frankly I see as a fate worse than death.
Artesox

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:54 am Reply with quote
@ TarsTarkas

I mean, in a complimentary LN Sonoko was confronted with that point and she said it was bullshit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (it was a JP equivalent profanity, but whatever.)

Its just how it goes, all the girls were not exactly OK with everything either, and just consider it to be a result of the whole memory erasing and body sacrifice thing. It's for the same reason why nobody is mad at Fuu for wanting to destroy the Taisha, whose members include a lot of the girl's families, like Karin's brother or even Fuu's late parents.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:42 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ TarsTarkas -why would The Amnesty be interested in punishing Togo when, in all likelihood, they understood that it was their handling of the Heroes that led to Togo snapping? Why would her friends be interested in being angry with her when they - better than anybody else - would understand why she would snap? Not only that, but her action inadvertantly saved them all from eventually ending up like Sonoko, which frankly I see as a fate worse than death.

Perhaps it is because we are in the audience, that we are failing to put ourselves in their shoes. So we do not feel the consequences of Togo's actions.

Nobody in the last episode of Yuki Yuna is a Hero, specifically the very end of the final episode is acting like a human being. The girls are not islands. They have attachments.

If a friend of mine came to kill my wife and daughter because they snapped. Pressure at work, family problems, and money issues. Would any of you really think I would care about my friend's backstory and issues, that may or may not of been his fault. I would care that my wife and daughter almost died. That some one tried to kill them.

That is where this episode disconnects with reality, it is missing the human element. Human beings really care when their loved ones are threatened. It is not something that is allowed to be passed off.

I don't really care about side stories or the LN. This is what the anime showed, a lack of response to the fact that a main character tried to kill everyone. There would be anger, there would be confrontations, and maybe even calls for accountability. Trying to kill everyone is not another day in the office. At least in this series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8