• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dear TRSI: Your New Holiday Sale Method is Boning Canadians

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
What I did this year was make a list of every item I really wanted to add to my collection instead of approaching the sale as 'buy as many discounted items I can'. I left this list idle in my shopping cart, and when I sign into my account, I can save it under the 'saved for later' tab. With the new sale format, I can keep track over what is discounted on my saved list, and then figure out how I am going to place my orders.

It is not perfect, but honestly, I actually like this system a little better than previous free-for-all, but it also might be that this year is the first time I really was able to organize and prioritize series so well, in such feeling like I am getting my money's worth.

I do feel for you guys in Canada. $250 for free shipping is terrible. And I can see the point of being uncertain about what to commit week to week. If you don't manage to pick a show before the week ends, it is a little like gambling. I wanted to complete some of the blu-ray series I have this year, for example, Little Busters. I wasn't able to pick up Refrain until the week following, but luckily the 'sale' price only increased three or four dollars.

I think TRS did really well with the Aria Kickstarter, but with the changes in Got Anime plus Anime Haul, I don't really know where the business is heading right now. I really do feel for Canadians. Being uncertain and unable to commit week to week really sucks and Christmas is supposed to be a highlight for anime fans.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate the sympathy and I think your idea of putting the titles you identified as priority items in your "saved for later" tab is a good one. Definitely a way to check prices easily.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
You can also create new lists. I made one for "Holiday Sale" with items I want so I can see when things are at their peak and place and order. Also included gifts in here. I made a separate one for my gf to use "Gift Ideas" so she could do the same. Then I just have to not check my orders placed to see what she got me lol.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
You can also create new lists. I made one for "Holiday Sale" with items I want so I can see when things are at their peak and place and order. Also included gifts in here. I made a separate one for my gf to use "Gift Ideas" so she could do the same. Then I just have to not check my orders placed to see what she got me lol.

I was so thrilled when they added this feature to the site. I keep limited, collector's and premium sets, blu-rays, old-school dvds, and nendoroid lists. I use them way more than Amazon at this point. Nice hack as well, haha. I'll have try that with my husband.
Pantha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm curious how Americans who aren't really affected feel. Did you guys prefer the old system or this new weekly rotating system?

Back in the day, RightStuf’s 12-day Christmas sale started around the second week of December and one item for each of the 12 days would be heavily discounted. Each item was available until the end of the sale. In later years, a 13th day was added and that day would be a bundle of anime. The sale ended the day after Christmas. In other words, what is now the Daily Mega Deal used to be the Christmas sale…except that everything was available until the sale ended. That is what I prefer.

Anyways, to the point. Because I never waited until the end of the sale to make my purchases anyway (I did with the original Christmas sale), there’s really no difference for me. I don’t care either way, but gun to head, I’ll say I prefer the weekly system. My purchases are more systematic: Make the buy on Sunday.

RightStuf started this weekly system last year. Like last year, items available on Week 1 are still available on Week 2 and so on and so forth. As far as I can tell, this hasn’t changed. I’m not sure if RightStuf changed prices last year, but I wouldn’t have noticed if the changes are anything like they are this year. I only noticed this year because it was mentioned in the What Did You Just Buy Thread. The price changes are negligible ($1-$2 increase) and seem to be changing only once when the new week rolls around. I bought the Blast of Tempest sets during the Black Friday sale for $34.98. Those sets are now $36.03 and they been at that price since the start of the sale. I forgot to buy Time of Eve on Sunday and ordered it yesterday for $30.88, less than a dollar more than last week’s price.

I’m not understanding OP’s frustration with the weekly rollout version of the Christmas sale. The $250 threshold for free shipping sucks, but that’s year-round. If anything, you’re more likely to hit that during the holiday season than any other time of the year, no? If you are a patient buyer that waited until the end of a sale, I don’t see how the weekly rollout is a sudden stop to that. If you prefer to make purchases throughout the sale, I can see the issue, but the issue is there with the 13-day sale, as well. Unless I’m missing something, Canadians are getting shafted because of the threshold, not the sale. …...What am I missing?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
@ Pantha: just to be clear, I am not complaining about the $250 shipping trip wire. My beef was that - according to my perception - items that were showing up in one particular week were not showing up the next. Just to give you a specific example, in week one, I had identified a few Kimi ni Todoke manga bundles as possible buys, but those bundles were not offered the following week. Now, perhaps they were limited specials and I just didn't notice that at the time. In fact, that's probably what happened.

If most items are still available throughout the sale, albeit at a few dollars extra then that's not such a big deal. What I was initially reacting to was the idea that with items disappearing each week it made it hard for me, as a Canadian, to know which week would be the best one for me to order in. As such the old system where basically everything except mega deals and limited time offers stayed on sale at the same price for the duration of the sale worked better for me. Don't know if that makes things any clearer.
Pantha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Pantha: just to be clear, I am not complaining about the $250 shipping trip wire. My beef was that - according to my perception - items that were showing up in one particular week were not showing up the next. Just to give you a specific example, in week one, I had identified a few Kimi ni Todoke manga bundles as possible buys, but those bundles were not offered the following week. Now, perhaps they were limited specials and I just didn't notice that at the time. In fact, that's probably what happened.

Got it. The manga bundles are not part of the Christmas sale. They are part of the Limited Time VIZ sale that's running in conjunction with the Christmas sale. RightStuf made things confusing by including the manga bundles into the Christmas sale. The VIZ sale is actually a month long "weekly special" but rolls around each Monday instead of each Thursday like the normal weekly specials.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:

I was so thrilled when they added this feature to the site. I keep limited, collector's and premium sets, blu-rays, old-school dvds, and nendoroid lists. I use them way more than Amazon at this point. Nice hack as well, haha. I'll have try that with my husband.

I also have a pre-order list I made to keep track of what's coming up I might want. If I don't get whatever it is then it goes to one of my other normal lists (BR/DVD, Manga, Misc, or Adult) I keep.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Usagi-kun wrote:

I also have a pre-order list I made to keep track of what's coming up I might want. If I don't get whatever it is then it goes to one of my other normal lists (BR/DVD, Manga, Misc, or Adult) I keep.

I also keep a separate list for OOP titles that I can keep track of in case a palet is discovered in a warehouse somewhere. I readily admit I get really excited when I can finally delete an older series. Keeping everything organized and prioritized helps me cut down on spontaneous spending. Ideally, I would like to save my money until the end of the year and concentrate on watching a lot more new series each season. That puts me a year behind on physical releases, but in reality you can only take away what you put in. Hopefully Right Stuf is going to have another 4th of July sale next year. It would scratch that itch twice a year instead of just Christmas.

I love ANN episode reviews. Crappier shows I can hate watch by proxy. Very Happy
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:

I love ANN episode reviews. Crappier shows I can hate watch by proxy. Very Happy

So you're saying they're almost like watching Jerry Springer in a sense? Wink
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Usagi-kun wrote:

So you're saying they're almost like watching Jerry Springer in a sense? Wink

Yes, but definitely with better writing. Laughing
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

I made a list for each company with items I want from them, so when the company's stuff in on sale I can just add something from the wishlist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2