• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Ep 37,

While the episode was fine in and of itself it feels like we're rewatching the first episodes of naruto again while already knowing what's going to happen. Kakashi even had the exact same lesson of "take care of your friends" which has a lot less impact when you've already seen it done before.

I'm just wondering when those guys on par with Kaguya are going to show up. They got teased several arcs ago and we've not seen anything about them since then.
Felcis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
Really liked this episode overall, even though the glorification of Boruto as the most awesome and saintly ninja of his generation annoys me a lot (and also does not fit his later status as a lazy and not-all-that-powerful brat by the time of the movie.. I wonder how they will justify that in the series).
Wasabi going all cat-Kiba was pretty awesome and it's a shame that she will most likely barely to anything in the future. I still hope that the series will center a bit less on it's main character and give the world and sidecast a bit more room to breathe.

Speaking of: Mirai finally appearing next episode, yaaay! Finally she can do something and also not look as terrible as she did in the manga.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
I thought it was odd that Kakashi kept harping on, "If you were in a real battle..." Boruto and Sarada at least, as well as some of the others have already been involved in several real battles. Certainly of a higher difficulty level than genin in Naruto's day were usually tasked with.

It was kinda sad when Kakashi mentioned that he'd read Make-Out Paradise so many times he'd memorized it. No new volumes to read or look forward to. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Ep 38,

I liked this episode more than most of the most recent ones. The team building exercise felt fresher this time around, although Mitsuki really feels like both the brains and backbone of the team right now.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
With the announcement that the show will be re-adapting the movie, I can't help but wonder if the producers have a set number of seasons and/or episodes in mind. The answer is probably "no," but the flash forward that the first episode opened on would suggest that some sort of creative road map is in place.

I agree that Sarada's aversion to working with Boruto came across as rather harsh, especially in light of everything they've been through in recent memory. It seems like every new arc essentially hits the reset button on their relationship.
Ethe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I was eagerly waiting for our main trio to team up, but episode 38 ended up disappointing me. I agree that Sarada's attitude and actions were a little perplexing, and she came off as a little bratty in my opinion. That and the choppy animation were enough to make me dislike this episode. Hopefully future entries will handle Boruto and Sarada's relationship better. I'd also like to see how Sarada and Mitsuki play off each other.

On a different note, I started reading the Naruto manga earlier today. I've read up to chapter 8 and so far I'm enjoying it. But I gotta say there are two characters I'm not sold on, Sasuke and Sakura. Sakura's main character trait (at least for now) seems to be her crush on Sasuke, and that makes her kinda boring. On the other hand, Sasuke is too emo for my taste, though I guess I should've seen that coming Laughing
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
With the announcement that the show will be re-adapting the movie, I can't help but wonder if the producers have a set number of seasons and/or episodes in mind. The answer is probably "no," but the flash forward that the first episode opened on would suggest that some sort of creative road map is in place.

I agree that Sarada's aversion to working with Boruto came across as rather harsh, especially in light of everything they've been through in recent memory. It seems like every new arc essentially hits the reset button on their relationship.

which is my biggest gripe on the series. hopefully the trend wont happen in the future. it would be extremely annoying and completely dragging the series down if they continue to do that.

Quote:
Of course, the mild disdain between Boruto and Sarada is considerably more subdued than the complex love/hate relationship shared by their fathers, but on the surface, it's a reasonably similar dynamic

dont be so sure. i can really really see the manga having those two develop the same toxic relationship as their fathers. especially once they know the real truth on sasuke's past. its pretty clear lord 7th is doing the exact same thing as lord 3rd hoping that the younger generation would accept him. got a nasty feeling he's setting him up to be his sucessor when he kicks the bucket and from the looks of the very beginning of the first ep, it will happen sooner rather than later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
In general, I feel like this show has been really inconsistent with its characterizations, especially Boruto. Like the show's writers have one thing in mind but have to try to stick with what's already canon in the movie/manga.

Boruto's attitude, for example. We keep being told that he's lazy (to match with Boruto in the movie, who definitely is) but the only time he's really shown that is right before the graduation exam. Other times he's seemed to have a fine work ethic, even if he might be a little whiny about it (as preteens tend to be). In fact, I'm having a really hard time seeing how TV Boruto - who always tries his hardest for his teammates' sakes, if nothing else - is going to turn into movie Boruto who doesn't really GAF about anything other than getting daddy's attention, screw everyone else. That said, I see how this is difficult. Boruto in the movie is supposed to be rather unlikable in the beginning, so even when the TV series was first announced I wondered how they were going to turn him into a likeable main character.

Boruto's relationship with Sarada is a more minor example. The two of them seem to go on a scale of full blown childhood friends, "our parents are friends so we kinda know each other", "We just don't see eye-to-eye", and, in this episode, hating each other's guts for no good reason. I'd really like to get more back story on what their relationship was like growing up, because I just can't tell quite where they stand with each other.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not the biggest fan of this series but I think it's decent enough and sometimes has cool episodes that get me excited like old school Naruto and Ship did (36 being a recent one).

My biggest complaint was how Naruto basically starts where episode 38 is at and how the show felt like it could be these kids as 12 year old genin for years and that maybe the whole point of it is to make a Naruto series that has no real over arching plot thus there's no final conclusion so it can last forever.

Maybe that is or isn't the case, but I hope that now that they're on teams and are genin, the show can pick up. They may have forgotten about this, but in original Naruto, Kurenai told Hinata's dad that the life of a genin was one filled with death and asked him if he was sure he wanted Hinata to have to go through that. Now that these kids are on teams, ideally they can get sent on missions to do x while another village is hired to stop x from happening, and everyone has been given the green light for murder so the stakes are a lot higher and people have to start growing up pretty quick. I'll probably check out if we're in episode 70 and the overall tone is still like it is now: a fun time, school comedy anime that occasionally has cool fight scenes.

That wouldn't be terrible, but it would be a major disappointment for me considering what mainline Naruto series have been prior to Boruto.
Ethe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 39:

Sorry if I sound dumb, but can someone explain to me why there was a photo of Boruto inside the scroll? As much as I like Mitsuki's backstory, that's something I still don't understand. Like, I get Boruto is supposed to be Mitsuki's sun and all that, but how did Orochimaru and Mitsuki's brother know this? How did they know Boruto would be the perfect candidate to become Mitsuki's friend/sun/etc? Was it just a hunch, or am I missing something?

Also, I'm assuming part of what's written on all those sheets of papers inside the scroll is the truth behind the mission Mitsuki just went through. As in, it explains Orochimaru's true intentions and how he just wanted for Mitsuki to become independent, right? I remember getting a little confused by the ending when I read the manga. At first I thought there was a newspaper inside Razz
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:04 am Reply with quote
Ethe wrote:
Like, I get Boruto is supposed to be Mitsuki's sun and all that, but how did Orochimaru and Mitsuki's brother know this? How did they know Boruto would be the perfect candidate to become Mitsuki's friend/sun/etc? Was it just a hunch, or am I missing something?

Most likely an educated guess. Naruto often brought out the best in those around him, so they were probably hoping his son would have a similar effect on Mitsuki. I'm assuming they did a little bit of recon as well.

The contents of the scroll totally resemble a newspaper article or magazine profile. They probably should have separated the photo from the text document.
Ethe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

Most likely an educated guess. Naruto often brought out the best in those around him, so they were probably hoping his son would have a similar effect on Mitsuki. I'm assuming they did a little bit of recon as well.

I see, that makes sense. Thank you very much Very Happy
Eddy564

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I'm not the biggest fan of this series but I think it's decent enough and sometimes has cool episodes that get me excited like old school Naruto and Ship did (36 being a recent one).

My biggest complaint was how Naruto basically starts where episode 38 is at and how the show felt like it could be these kids as 12 year old genin for years and that maybe the whole point of it is to make a Naruto series that has no real over arching plot thus there's no final conclusion so it can last forever.

Maybe that is or isn't the case, but I hope that now that they're on teams and are genin, the show can pick up. They may have forgotten about this, but in original Naruto, Kurenai told Hinata's dad that the life of a genin was one filled with death and asked him if he was sure he wanted Hinata to have to go through that. Now that these kids are on teams, ideally they can get sent on missions to do x while another village is hired to stop x from happening, and everyone has been given the green light for murder so the stakes are a lot higher and people have to start growing up pretty quick. I'll probably check out if we're in episode 70 and the overall tone is still like it is now: a fun time, school comedy anime that occasionally has cool fight scenes.

That wouldn't be terrible, but it would be a major disappointment for me considering what mainline Naruto series have been prior to Boruto.
The series definitely has an overarching plot. All of this buildup has been necessary so that the events they’ll eventually cover in the movie arc will be satisfying. It’s clear we have Boruto battling Kawaki as a sort of endgame type of ordeal.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Whether Orochimaru is fully reformed or simply biding his time remains to be seen, but episodes like this definitely indicate the former.

that was always likely since he's ALSO a clone that was living inside anko and not the real one who was sealed by itachi's touska blade. though the main catalysts was probably his interaction with the previous dead hokage during the 4th war. though i also wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he's like this cause saskue used in the izanami on him which is probably why we never once see him use his rinnegan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Feli1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
Wow I thought an episode like this was gonna gonna me milked till next year abit shocking gonna catch up dou I'm abit behind
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 31