• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Welcome to the Ballroom

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
I legit didn't want to say this, but this thread is turning out to be the UBW of the year, but without an existing fanbase behind it. Lol. The amount of crap you say about this show every week paints a very bleak picture about the anime. Ala, then you notice it's the same 5 or 6 people each and every time and then you go to Reddit and the discussion post has hundreds of positive posts... How nice. /s

There's just some series you don't discuss on ANN, and can only really be discussed elsewhere.

Surprised to hear Reddit likes it though, that site is notoriously leftist.
gdpetti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I actually like this one... but I usually like SoLs that focus on learning the industry/business/sport etc... and this one is doing that... covering the basics... they should point out how much of a 'natural' our MC is... picking everything up so fast... many earlier problems have been taken care of with just a line here or there over the past eps.. like Sengoku having time for our MC.... it was just a lull inbetween competitions etc... as he's been mostly gone since. Haven't seen the manga?, so hard to compare, but it has definitely gotten more dramatic and less comedic in recent eps. THe last two covering their main competition in this event... interesting pair, matched up well, and showing their limitations as well... their strong points in tradition/basics is also their weakness. We've actually lost track of our MC pair a little, unless the director wants to focus on their competition as an obstacle to overcome for our MC pair, that is just starting to sync up, under pressure... again, pointing out how much of a natural he is, compared to her years of training and need to overcome her previous lead role, which is a nice dynamic to show..... I never thought about the simple fact that most dance studios are full of young girls... maybe in major metro areas, it's a little different, but probably not much... so they have pair up by default, that was an interesting dynamic to show. If this is an ongoing manga, then perhaps there'll be another cour at some point, but I wonder if the recent eps on their competition is to show them how hard it is to win... perhaps have them come in second place just behind the others.

I liked how it mentioned how some kids grow up in it, usually through their parents, especially the boys.. I'm thinking of that actor...from Dirty Dancing, Patrick Swayzy? however you spell it... but most of them don't make it much further than winning the junior divisions... like any 'prodigy', once they grow up and join the pro sports, the playing field is leveled etc.

Not sure how much further the manga is, but I like this one. They stopped some of the excess stuff, filled in the backstory, etc... so it's lined up well going forward.... if there is a 'future' for this anime that is. Wink
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:02 am Reply with quote
gdpetti wrote:
Not sure how much further the manga is

The anime is actually going to overtake the manga to the point Takeuchi worked with the anime staff to create the ending since the anime will finish a bit before the manga will. Wouldn't count on another season unless they go full anime-only like what Fullmetal Alchemist and Soul Eater did, but series that do that generally suck. I'd rather they not do that.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
I doubt the author is planning to end the manga with this tournament. Like many sports/ competition anime adaptations it's an adaptation of what has been written so far. If it's really popular more could be adapted in a few years. Saki is an example of that, so damn moe it got a spin-off and a continuation years after the original, once there's enough content to adapt again. I wouldn't be surprised to see an anime continuation of Ace of Diamond in a couple years and I personally hold out a little hope that Baby Steps can come back too.
This one, I don't see a return in its future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was as predictable as expected but we did get some decent dancing at least. So winning neither depends on skill nor experience?! That sounds pretty frustrating, no wonder everybody in this show was always in such a bad mood... Rolling Eyes
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
^ Yeah, I'm not really clear on what they score it on either. What's left, competition-wise, if you discount skill and experience? Best smile? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was happy to finally see more than two consecutive seconds of dancing at a time, and you can't go wrong with more of Sing, Sing, Sing, even if it was only a little more. But it seemed like the answer to the Big Question of why Tatara dances just boiled down to "so all the sempai will notice me." I guess I just can't identify at all with that "look at me!" mentality, and I can only understand it in others on a superficial level. So this series was really just not for me.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:36 am Reply with quote
There were parts of this episode that made me sad thinking the show could've been so much better.

-I'm mad that they couldn't stick to even a single of the actual dance pieces for the whole duration of the dance, especially egregious in the case of Sing, Sing, Sing, which was even name-dropped.
-It was also annoying that the climax of the episode didn't give us any insight to Chinatsu's mind, it was all about Tatara. Considering that the main goal of this arc was establishing their partnership and unity, that we only get one half of the equation is frustrating. It also makes her complete 180 extremely hard to buy
-Somehow I agree that the Kugimiya pair -but mostly just Idogawa- turned out to be the most likable and least unpleasant characters. However, the fact that the best answer he could give for why he's still dancing boiled down to "guess I gotta continue in this hell". Not very convincing.
-Overall, the character development didn't feel earned, more like a rushed necessary conclusion for the arc. Just a few episodes ago (a few hours ago in-show), Tatara was saying he hadn't had any fun dancing since pairing up with Chinatsu, but suddenly he's grateful because Chinatsu makes him love and hate himself?
-Concur on what is even the judging criteria if skill and experience are worthless, and that I never saw anything in Tatara and Chinatsu's dancing that qualified as "revolutionary"
-Random thought, did Marisa ever actually teach them anything?

I definitely appreciated the dancing animation and wish we'd seen more of that through the series. Overall the show just seemed like it was trying its best to convince people that there is nothing worth watching in dancesport, and that it's not even a fun activity to pursue either, since it makes everyone miserable.
gdpetti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
True to about all you said.... everyone watching this wanted better dance scenes, not sure if that's due to a limited budget or what. Instead of that, they focused on the mindset of the dancers. Kugimiya pair given an ep a piece to define their characters in depth... seems they got more attention in those individual eps than any other character so far... our MC pair included.. we really don't know our MC- Tatara do we? At least they showed the parents, previous coaches etc... but another cour really needs to animate the dances themselves I think...

What I've noticed from seeing a few links of competitions on Youtube others have posted, is that the 'Look at Me' aspect of the dances have really taken over some of these dances.... the Latin division moreso than standard... Haven't seen the comps in quite a while on tv, but I don't remember that amount of 'posing'... it seemed like most of the dancers were posing and not much else... maybe I'm not remembering it from a decade or two ago? Confused I just don't remember that amount of 'posing'. Seems too excess, and this mangaka must have been influenced by that... .so maybe this 'revolutionary style' is closer aligned to the 'old' social dancing standards of dancing with your partner and not posing for the audience? Laughing Another definition of 'revolutionary' could just be anytime a pair grab the attention of the judges to the point that they have trouble looking away?

If I remember correctly, this mangaka has been sick for a while, so any future depends on she/he's health.... this one would make a good live action tv show.. methinks... same with some of those Love Live.. school idol shows.. seems like a Disney show if they did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 19 of 19