• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
That Anime DVD/Video Game Sale Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
Chihayafuru Season 1 Premium Set is $60 for the rest of the day at Sentai. Wouldn't let me use Paypal with the discount, but a credit card worked.

Thanks go to pikagreg @ blu-ray.com
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:02 am Reply with quote
^^^
I saw that and almost picked it up... but I'm cheap and realized that if their other LE sets are any indication, this one too will be selling at the 66% off prices that Nozaki-kun and School Live are often being sale-listed at these days.
I'm a patient hunter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I'd been checking and expecting this sale, but Barnes & Nobles is having their Buy 2 get the 3rd free on all manga sale now through January 15th!
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:22 am Reply with quote
Kodansha is having a HumbleBundle of Attack on Titan for anyone interested. It's digital only though, of course. Donations can either go to charity, back to Kodansha, or some mix thereof. It goes through the 31st.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/attack-on-titan-books
$1+=AoT vol 1-5
$8+=AoT vol 1-15, Lost Girls 1-2, No Regrets 1-2
$15+=AoT vol 1-20, Lost Girls 1-2, No Regrets 1-2, Before the Fall 1-11, Junior High 1-4
$18+=AoT vol 1-22, Lost Girls 1-2, No Regrets 1-2, Before the Fall 1-11, Junior High 1-4, Spoof on Titan 1-2, Guidebook, Exclusive Artbook
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 am Reply with quote
I was tempted by the Right Stuff Memorial Day "DVD only" sale started yesterday, but then I thought about it again... They're mostly Sentai shows, who are clearing out all of their DVDs... won't they be selling these directly too?

Yep. Be sure to do your comparison shopping. Sentai now has their Memorial Day sale up and there are some huge sales.

Oddly, some of the BD sets are priced cheaper than DVD sets on some of the more recent sets like Bakuon and Chhiyafuru (and damn- look at those premium set prices, sorry varmintx, I was right about their continuing plummeting prices- now down to $50 and $38 for the two seasons)

https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/the-long-weekend-sale
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
So RightStuf started this big month-long "golden birthday" sale, and while there are certainly deals to be had, a decent chunk of it is...not particular impressive. What gets me is that they sent out an email last night to Got Anime members with a members-only code that provides an additional discount for certain sale items (almost exclusively FUNi from what I can tell). Unless my math is failing me, when I entered it in, the discount I got was less than the standard Got Anime discount during a normal publisher sale. And you can't apply the normal discount, because everything in the sale is ineligible for promotional discounts. This kind of feels like a screw job.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote

Well that's the new RS for you. The Got Anime membership is no longer a straight 10% off as it was before the new website, now its up to 10% off. They were only applying this new policy towards anime, but in the last couple of months they have started doing it with manga too. Of course the discount never applies to Aniplex stuff and you can't stack codes. I don't really find it worth it anymore. Along with their new Privacy policy (I'm not interested in targeted ads and being followed around the internet), I'm kind of souring on them as a company. Don't get me wrong there are still deals that can be found, Yesterday's Mega-deal had Your Name LE for around $46 and someone mentioned that they had a few copies of the Mob Psycho 100 LEs that they dug up from somewhere for pretty cheap (sold out fast). Still doesn't feel like the same company that charmed me and my wallet a decade ago.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

Well that's the new RS for you. The Got Anime membership is no longer a straight 10% off as it was before the new website, now its up to 10% off. They were only applying this new policy towards anime, but in the last couple of months they have started doing it with manga too. Of course the discount never applies to Aniplex stuff and you can't stack codes. I don't really find it worth it anymore. Along with their new Privacy policy (I'm not interested in targeted ads and being followed around the internet), I'm kind of souring on them as a company. Don't get me wrong there are still deals that can be found, Yesterday's Mega-deal had Your Name LE for around $46 and someone mentioned that they had a few copies of the Mob Psycho 100 LEs that they dug up from somewhere for pretty cheap (sold out fast). Still doesn't feel like the same company that charmed me and my wallet a decade ago.

Soooo were they going to tell their Got Anime subscribers about the discount change, or was that something we were supposed to figure out on our own? That really burns me up. I had a pretty poor customer service experience with them a few weeks ago. At this point I'll honestly have to reconsider renewing my membership when it's up. Less than 10% is barely worth it.

Another joke: they just sent me a $5 coupon for my birthday month, but of course it can't be used on anything with "Not eligible for promotional discounts." Note that my birthday month falls under their month-long sale chock-full of items with that description.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, that "up to 10%" thing certainly explains a lot for me! I had been wondering why some of the newer manga seemed to discount less than others (though at other times, it seemed to be more or less at random). At least it seems to always be 10% extra on Discotek sales.

@Top Gun
My birthday is in December, so I'm getting EXTRA screwed on that $5 coupon. Not every July is going to be some ridiculous sale, but EVERY December is basically guaranteed to be their winter sale for the entire month without failure. I typically try to use it on an uncommon manga that is unlikely to be on sale anyway.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:20 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Soooo were they going to tell their Got Anime subscribers about the discount change, or was that something we were supposed to figure out on our own? That really burns me up. I had a pretty poor customer service experience with them a few weeks ago. At this point I'll honestly have to reconsider renewing my membership when it's up. Less than 10% is barely worth it.

Actually for awhile the Got Anime web page on the new site didn't even mention the 10%. I contacted them, because the discounts weren't adding up and that's when they informed that it had been changed and it wasn't any longer a flat 10% off. I told them that information was absent from the web page and they needed to say that it was up to 10%. It now says it and they have even bolded it. People keep telling me that they make their $18 for the membership back (used to be $12), and I tell them that they are looking at it the wrong way. Do you make 10% or near that back from your total purchases? Back in 2012 I believe I was making about 8.5% back, then around 2016 or so when they changed to the new site it dropped to about 4.5%. It can still work out ok if you are new to anime and manga and make a ton of purchases. But if you have been collecting for awhile and have most of the classics along with a limited budget or more specific tastes (like you don't need everything) then you are going to have to weigh whether it still has that much value for you.

I buy much less manga than I used to, I import a few things a year which can take up a nice chunk of my budget, and I've gotten some good deals at other places like when Sentai has sales on their website. So overall I'm buying less on RS and if all I'm saving is say $20 after the $18 Got Anime purchase then its not so compelling to be worth the hassle. It reminds me of Macy's or regular retail, I get all these coupons all the time and none of them apply or stack on a sale because of exclusions except maybe once or twice a year on a special day if you have a Macy's card. The whole thing feels more corporate now. Sad
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
This really is sad. I started shopping at RightStuf when I was back in college, more than a decade ago, and I don't even want to think of the total amount I've spent there since then. But over the last couple of years I've been slowly becoming more and more soured on them. Related or not, I feel like this all began to build after they launched their new website: they rolled the thing out before it was even feature-complete, and there were still some elements of the old site that were never replicated, most importantly for me the stock counters that helped you know when to jump on out-of-print titles. The sales are getting more and more repetitive, with more and more items getting that damned "not eligible for promotional discounts" label slapped on them. And now this low-blow stealth change to their membership benefits. (There have been other things outside their control too, like Viz apparently jumping on the Aniplex bandwagon and never allowing their anime titles to be put on significant sale.) It all starts to add up.

I really would like to hear a representative's justification for this change. I'm loath to get in touch with them directly after my unfavorable support outcome, but I almost feel like it's worth it at this point. Make them explain to their paying customers why they're becoming less consumer-friendly.

(And the funny part is that, with the recent Supreme Court ruling, they're about to lose their one major advantage over Amazon: tax-free shopping.)
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:56 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Related or not, I feel like this all began to build after they launched their new website:
Its exactly when all these changes started. I also adjusted my settings on my account to stop getting emails from them because it was beginning to get too much.

Quote:
...some elements of the old site that were never replicated, most importantly for me the stock counters that helped you know when to jump on out-of-print titles.
That used to be a very important feature to me as well and I miss it too.

Quote:
(There have been other things outside their control too, like Viz apparently jumping on the Aniplex bandwagon and never allowing their anime titles to be put on significant sale.) It all starts to add up.
I get the impression that they may be getting pressure from some companies either on pricing or quantity of merchandise to put on sale, Funimation comes to mind just based on some of the lower discount on some of their items. Its speculation, but that's my impression.

I think you can still get some good deals and their packaging for shipping still tends to be very good, but its harder to come by and there's more pronounced impulse buying tactics that are a turn off. Its not as compelling for me to shop there nor make them my one only stop.

Quote:
(And the funny part is that, with the recent Supreme Court ruling, they're about to lose their one major advantage over Amazon: tax-free shopping.)
Unfortunately that was going to happen sooner or later especially after Amazon threw in the towel and gave up their lobbying efforts to keep internet shopping tax free.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quote
Oh, hey getting back on topic it looks like Sentai is having a Summer Sale on their website. Free shipping on orders over $75. I see some stuff at decent pricing like:

Ajin Premium set Pt.1 $37.99, Pt.2 $34.99
Chihayafuru Premium set Pt1 $49.99
Denoh Coil $20.99 per set
Space Bros - ea. volume is running at $8.99
Ushio and Tora Premium set 62.99

I may jump on Space Bros.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to wonder how Sentai continues to turn a profit when they have these ridiculously-discounted sales so frequently. It's almost the opposite problem of RightStuf: I've bought almost everything I genuinely want from them, so at this point I feel like I keep tossing in things that look vaguely interesting just because they're cheap. I have no idea if I'll even watch half of them. Laughing

But yeah, I jumped on Space Brothers in a past sale when it was a buck or two more expensive than that. Everything I've heard suggests it's a great show.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Humble Bundle is having a cat related sale and there's a few manga in on it too! And some other cat comics!

$1-Grumpy Cat comic
$8- Fuku Fuku Kitten Tales vol 1, 2
Chi's Sweet Home 1-3
Our Cats are More Famous Than Us
Crafting With Cat Hair
$15- Chi's Sweet Adventure 1
Nekogahara 1-3
Simon's Cat vs the World

And there are plenty of other books and maybe comics (even I haven't read ALL the cat comics out there!) in this. So serve your feline overlords! You know it is the proper thing to do!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 59 of 61