• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: So I'm a Spider, So What? Novel 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this one a lot; i'm a fan of both isekai and survival stories, and i'm intruiged at where the story's going to go spoiler[(i'm very interested to see what comes of the teacher's efforts to reunite, or at least find, all the students, and i like how she's far from useless, unlike most teacher characters.]) But i wonder how inured i must be to the strangeness of light novels that i don't even bat an eye at the title or premise; i'm sure most people raise an eyebrow or two Anime hyper
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Bought this on Amazon and really enjoyed it! I liked it so much I’ve been reading the WN translations, Yen Press’ release schedule is so slow. There seem to be some differences however, as the dragon girl who was a reincarnation from the same classroom does not seem to be mentioned in the WN.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
This review has gotten me interested in the story.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Loved this story so far. I should not have looked it up on tvtropes though.

spoiler[ I also find it funny that some of what the reviewer thinks are inconsistencies are in facts hints of important things in the story]
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
There seem to be some differences however, as the dragon girl who was a reincarnation from the same classroom does not seem to be mentioned in the WN.

Speaking as someone who read the WN, she does gets mentioned further down in the original story, so she somewhat makes an appearance. Aside from that, I noticed there were a lot more extra scenes in the side chapters, making the main chapters and side chapters correlate more with each other.

What I really liked about the LN (aside from the edited tighter script and additional scenes) are the creature designs. Tsukasa Kiryu's creature designs of the monsters are really cool. They go surprisingly well with the story without feeling too video game-y.

I was a bit disappointed there was no any consistent equivalent of the main character's trademark "Nai waaa..." cutesy expression though.

Last edited by BlueAlf on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
fantaselion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
There seem to be some differences however, as the dragon girl who was a reincarnation from the same classroom does not seem to be mentioned in the WN.

Speaking as someone who read the WN, she does gets mentioned further down in the story though. Aside from that, I noticed there were a lot more extra scenes in the side chapters, making the main chapters and side chapters correlate more with each other.

What I really liked about the LN (aside from the edited tighter script and additional scenes) are the creature designs. Tsukasa Kiryu's creature designs of the monsters are really cool. They go surprisingly well with the story without feeling too video game-y.

I was a bit disappointed there was no any consistent equivalent of the main character's trademark "Nai waaa..." cutesy expression though.

WHAAAAAT, THEY DON'T SAY "Nai waaa....." THIS IS MADNESS.

what do they say instead?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
I don't recall there being any cutesy tag. She does, however, had a pretty distinctive speaking (er, thought) cadence, so maybe that's how they chose to handle it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, I started reading the Slime one after reading about it here. It was kind of fun for a little while, but after the MC gained a somewhat... fanservicy form, I felt like maybe it was going to get a little too indulgent/ridiculous for me. It would be nice if I could be confident that these types of properties would be a more consistently serious take on the subject matter so I won't have to wonder if the author is going overboard with their... personal interests let's say Smile

Is this one more serious? Or does it have indication that the author will begin to indulge themselves a bit too much?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
@ChibiKangaroo

As of the end of the first volume, there is no indication that the author is following any sort of fetish. Even the spider in question is just struggling to stay alive. She is not glorying in the kills or any other action.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, if any of this is headed towards fetish territory then it's not even hinted at in the first volume. There was nothing that struck me as even slightly fan servicey about it.

The spider actually does glory a bit in some of her victories, but given what she has to go through to achieve those victories, I don't think any reader will begrudge her those reactions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Never heard of this but I want this just because I love the title & cover art. So I'm shallow, so what?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
So I'm a Spider, So What is really good and it is one of the better isekai light novels of the year. While I enjoy a good power fantasy it is nice to see an isekai light novel that is an actual survival story. It is also one of the rare English released isekai light novels with a female protagonist though it doesn't really influence anything in the first volume since her main goal is survival.

LegitPancake wrote:
Bought this on Amazon and really enjoyed it! I liked it so much I’ve been reading the WN translations, Yen Press’ release schedule is so slow.
While the translation delay for light novels does seem a bit long in this age of simulcasts at least Yen Press is good at releasing new volumes.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
While the translation delay for light novels does seem a bit long in this age of simulcasts at least Yen Press is good at releasing new volumes.

Well, I guess I'm just spoiled now that I have a J-Novel club membership haha. They're wayyy faster than YP, but that's mainly because they don't have to deal with printing physically. I mean, how many times has NGNL volume 7 been postponed? As of right now, it's listed as the end of April next year on Amazon, which is exactly 9 months after they released the 6th volume.
Terelyn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Premise of world based on video game rules is getting stale

Actually, spoiler[there will be a few twists and turns regarding the "game" system too later on.]

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Out of curiosity, I started reading the Slime one after reading about it here. It was kind of fun for a little while, but after the MC gained a somewhat... fanservicy form, I felt like maybe it was going to get a little too indulgent/ridiculous for me.

I don't think the author will go overboard in the Slime novel. At least that's my conclusion from what i have read so far.

Last edited by Terelyn on Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:55 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I mean, how many times has NGNL volume 7 been postponed? As of right now, it's listed as the end of April next year on Amazon, which is exactly 9 months after they released the 6th volume.

OH COME ON! Why?! First it was summer 2017, then October, then December, then February, and now April?! I like Yen On but this is getting to be too much, even for me.

Last edited by Double Mangekyo on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2