• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Net Neutrality Widget]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
k_dawg_3484 wrote:
Be more concerned about your own backyard.

This is their backyard buddy. That's the whole point. Negative impacts on anime streaming means BOTH ANN and it's users get screwed. If you don't personally care about the future of anime streaming because you just think you are too important for that, for some reason, ok. But I would bet that you'd be more than happy to free ride on the efforts of all the other people taking action to try and preseve that for all of us in the future. Then you can sit back content on your couch, having done nothing, and feel smug about how all these other people took action while you watch your anime streams. But don't complain that ANN is trying to inform it's viewers about the issue. It's one click to close that.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
k_dawg_3484 wrote:

Exactly. I know what it's about, and I don't give a crap to make my voice heard blah blah blah. Read your own forum rules, and stop soapboxing, anime news sit.....Simple solution: don't be a dick

Hello pot, meet kettle. Seriously, take a chill pill pal.

The vote has been done for ONE DAY so how about everyone just calm their internet rage boners for one second and give them time to get it removed. It's like everyone expects things to happen in split second timing or else it's "ruining" everything for them. Take a Valium and relax before you give yourselves aneurysms.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I think you're misunderstanding.

This isn't "oh, not, they haven't got around to changing the code to not have the widget." The widget actually changed to reflect the fact that the vote is over, and now it's time to petition Congress for a change, i.e. this is a deliberate decision to continue running the widget after the vote. Given that the thing was running weeks before the vote, and there's really no deadline for asking Congress to ask, I think it's reasonable to wonder if getting a political exhortation every day is just part of the ANN experience now, and respond negatively if that's not really what we had in mind when we signed up.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Okay.

Actually, I think we've reached pretty much everyone at this point and the widget has done it's job. We'll be removing it shortly.

Apologies for those that would have wished that ANN explain it's position on Net Neutrality, I simply haven't had time to do so myself these past few weeks, and I feel that there are others who have done a much better job explaining it. Perhaps we should have linked to one of those in the widget.

As for those people who have done a better job explaining it, here are a few of my favorites. A little too late, I apologize.

• Wired Magazine: https://www.wired.com/2017/01/dont-gut-net-neutrality-good-people-business/
• Electronic Frontier Foundation: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/01/why-the-fcc-cant-save-net-neutrality (includes examples of things ISPs have already done contrary to the best interests of their customers) Ironically, while in support of Net Neutrality, this document does say that the EFF doesn't feel that the FCC is the right body to oversee it.
• The Verge: https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/14/16772582/public-libraries-net-neutrality-broadband-access-first-amendment
• Cory Doctorow: https://newint.org/blog/2017/12/13/net-neutrality
• Time Berners-Lee (creator of the web), Steve Wozniak, Vint Cerf and other internet pioneers: https://pioneersfornetneutrality.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Tempest on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I think it's reasonable to wonder if getting a political exhortation every day is just part of the ANN experience now

No, it is not. This is just you wanting to make a mountain out of a mole hill. No one seriously thought the thing you just said.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Says the person worried about all those Christian ISPs out there.

There were literally people in this very thread grumpy about getting these messages every day, and how they weren't going away even after the vote. You once again have called me a liar because you incorrectly think you can read my mind.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
How about you both just stop since the question was answered.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
This isn't "oh, not, they haven't got around to changing the code to not have the widget." The widget actually changed to reflect the fact that the vote is over, and now it's time to petition Congress for a change, i.e. this is a deliberate decision to continue running the widget after the vote.

Actually, you've made an incorrect assumption on this.

We didn't change the widget. The widget loads content from https://www.battleforthenet.com/

They updated the content.

Next time we do a widget like this we'll modify it to allow you to permanently remove it (provided you don't reset cookies).
Violynne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Next time we do a widget like this we'll modify it to allow you to permanently remove it (provided you don't reset cookies).

I'd like to make a request, please.

Is it possible to update the user settings to include an option "Disable OpEd Notifications" rather than rely on cookies?

I use private browsing, which doesn't retain site information once the browser is closed. This means the cookie is removed once the session is over, enabling the "widget" to return upon each visit.

If this isn't possible, please look into the option of embedding the widget.

Changing gears to a more personal note: thanks for the support. Smile
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:
Is it possible to update the user settings to include an option "Disable OpEd Notifications" rather than rely on cookies?

I was thinking about this one. I wouldn't want to allow users to completely disable op/ed requests. But saving the ones you've disabled in your account would be possible.

You'd still see them once, but they'd be gone permanently if you so choose.

We've also come up with a significantly less intrusive way to do these in the future. You'll see the new way in a day or two. Permanently disabling it isn't built in yet, but it will be soon.

-t
kellyon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:50 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the explanations, now it's more clear. I totally support net neutrality and after repealing I started using proxy to protect my privacy and get access to the blocked content. It has unlimited traffic and is available throughout the world so I don't have any regrets.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
kellyon wrote:
Thanks for the explanations, now it's more clear. I totally support net neutrality and after repealing I started using proxy to protect my privacy and get access to the blocked content. It has unlimited traffic and is available throughout the world so I don't have any regrets.

You might actually find that proxies and VPNs hurt you when your ISP is elevating certain traffic.

Let's say for example your ISP has a deal with Netflix to prioritize Netflix traffic. If you use your VPN/Proxy to access Netflix, your ISP won't know, and your Netflix access will be slower.

I use a VPN all the time, I highly recommend them. But sadly, they aren't a solution to the net neutrality problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2