• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Just Because!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
This episode confirmed one of my biggest frustrations for the show: Ena is simply a much better romantic option for Eita. Her chemistry with him is far superior than with Mio and she is much more likable. Plus her coming to like Eita feels much more natural and believable than all of the relationships surrounding Mio. In the end I would be shocked if Ena ended up Eita (since main girl always get the man) but I think the show would be much better for it; proving that you can create romance out of chemistry rather than forced feelings.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
In the end I would be shocked if Ena ended up Eita

My bet continues to be that in the end no one will end with anyone else, either real life™ gets in the way or they will realize there are bigger fish on the pond ahead of them (aka adult life). At least in my limited experience the middle or high school sweetheart does not marries years later with their crush (or they divorce shortly after).
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
TasteyCookie wrote:
In the end I would be shocked if Ena ended up Eita

My bet continues to be that in the end no one will end with anyone else, either real life™ gets in the way or they will realize there are bigger fish on the pond ahead of them (aka adult life). At least in my limited experience the middle or high school sweetheart does not marries years later with their crush (or they divorce shortly after).

I would guess that his best friend will end up with the girl he had a crush on (can't remember names to save my life) but that the main triangle will be unresolved (so that they won't disappoint anyone by making a decision).

But yeah no way that Eita and Ena end up together, pushy girl never win in anime, chemistry be damned!
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:50 am Reply with quote
I couldn't care less about who Eita will end up with as long as my boy Haruto will be happy. Which doesn't necessarily mean that he needs to get the girl, but i want him to get proper closure at least.

Also, i think i'm in love with that cat. Laughing
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
episode 9 wrote:
Just Because! may be approaching a conclusion, but that doesn't mean these kids are any closer to figuring out how to be adults.

Unfortunately the show also does not seen that close to figuring out how to tie all the important loose ends and have a satisfying conclusion. Just Because! has become my second favorite show of this season (behind AMB), but it can be frustrating to not see enough signs of an adequate conclusion in the horizon.
Sharkacon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
episode 9 wrote:
Just Because! may be approaching a conclusion, but that doesn't mean these kids are any closer to figuring out how to be adults.

Unfortunately the show also does not seen that close to figuring out how to tie all the important loose ends and have a satisfying conclusion. Just Because! has become my second favorite show of this season (behind AMB), but it can be frustrating to not see enough signs of an adequate conclusion in the horizon.

Whether it's adequate or not will be a matter of opinion, but this love triangle has an expiration date.

spoiler[The last shot of Komiya was of her happily browsing for chocolates to make "For That Special Someone.) Meanwhile, The last shot of Natsume in the car with her sister showed that she bought the Valentine candy that she'd initially dismissed because she had to focus on studying. The bag was sitting in her lap.]

The last couple episodes have subtly launched us towards the conclusion. I'm just not entirely sure if that conclusion will be what I expected earlier in the season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:43 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit confused... are Eita and Mio taking the the entrance exam for the same university? I thought that Eita was taking the exam for the university he THINKS Mio wants to go to (her sister's) and Mio has decided to take the entrance exam for the university that Eita got a recommendation for... do I have that wrong?
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, though I agree, I thought the previous episode made a point of showing the book covers were for different schools. I guess someone might have mentioned it on their social media thing that she was changing goals and he picked up on it, but it's an odd "yeah, they probably figured something out off screen" moment for a show that's so buried in the mechanics of how that communication happens.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:29 am Reply with quote
Went through episodes 9 and 10; yes, Mio's sister goes to Suizan, which is where she was originally aiming to go, and Eita knows this and was studying for their exam (when he leaves to go on a run, the paper on his desk says "Suizan" at the top). While Mio decides not to apply to Suizan, Eita is going ahead with his plan to go to that entrance exam 2 days after Valentine's. I didn't go back to check which school Eita has his recommendation, though.

While I agree that Eita and Ena make a great match and sincerely hope they pair up, I think there's definitely some bias since I think the west portrays proactiveness and assertiveness in a very positive light, and passiveness less so, whereas I believe Japan tends to view reservedness more positively. Either way, I do think that Just Because! is trying to convey that Ena's activeness is scoring points with Eita day by day, while Mio seems to be going for the "all my eggs in one basket" surprise-here-are-all-my-feelings once she crosses her imaginary line. Whether that approach is enough, we won't know till the finale I suppose!
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:49 am Reply with quote
I've been rather neutral on the Mio/Eita/Ena love triangle, but Mio postponing her confession even though she's aware of having a (rather proactive) rival doesn't seem very smart? It's almost like she's subconsciously still doubting her own feelings and therefore wants "fate" to decide for her...also, the whole "entrance exam confusion" is getting a bit annoying.

I did love Hazuki's and Haruto's scene, though. For Hazuki it was very in character to come to such a pragmatic (for the both of them) decision while still admitting her feelings for Haruto while he finally got a clear, albeit bittersweet, answer. It fitted the general mood of the show and i am pretty satisfied with this conclusion!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:44 am Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
While I agree that Eita and Ena make a great match and sincerely hope they pair up, I think there's definitely some bias since I think the west portrays proactiveness and assertiveness in a very positive light, and passiveness less so, whereas I believe Japan tends to view reservedness more positively.

Sad but true. I definitely come down on the Eita-Ena part of the love triangle. Mainly because the show has shown me why I should be rooting for her. With Mio the show has told me that Eita had a crush on Mio for years, but it has never shown me why or why I should care. Not that it matters because Mio has clearly won unless this show is willing to become very un-anime.

I agree with Merida that the Hazuki/Haruto sitch resolved very well. I love that Hazuki wasn't all, "oh, anything for you, darling!" Their resolution seemed very credible.
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
Oh god. The ending to ep 11. I'm going to have stomach cramps for a week Anime hyper
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately my reaction was "Just get on with it!!"
After the girl and guy pairs have their talks I was thinking they could now cut to them going to their exams... which took another ten minutes... and included over a minute of them quietly taking their tests....

I did Like Mio's sister's scene... but did she really help? Eita didn't even tell her much
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Unfortunately my reaction was "Just get on with it!!"

My thoughts exactly...which is a shame because the execution was really good and even the visuals seemed a lot better than the past couple of weeks, but why does it need to drag on like this?! Just bloody confess already, folks! And was there actually anything dramatic about the "entrance exam drama"? I mean, unless i missed something, they both can go to whichever university they want now, no?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
If they want to, this is going to be a reeeeally easy series to condense into a "movie"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6