• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Funimation Announce 7 Anime for Winter 2018 Simulcast Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It may mean nothing to you, but to me there is a world of difference between a dub and a simul-dub. It's not even like I've been on every announcement, hence I have do not have a reputation. I have not been keeping tabs like you, but I only do it when it is a show I am interested in(and last season there were a lot). For the first couple of seasons I did not even voice my opinion on them, I did not even have one.

And what is even wrong with me complaining? it's not like I'm shoving it into your face. I don't tell people they can't complain that Aniplex acquired a title or that Sentai is dubbing a show, something I see plenty of.

I never said you couldn't complain. My comment wasn't in response to your comment, but to someone else's. I was just informing a fellow poster.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Oh no, Funiamtion are doing a simul-dub for DARLING in the FRANXX, I was hoping that a show of this pedigree was going to get a polished dub curtsy of Aniplex later on. I hope one day we get a re-dub.

Right, because it's not like The Ancient Magus Bride's dub hasn't been great or anything. Rolling Eyes How about instead of complaining about a dub that doesn't even exist yet, form an opinion after it does, okay?

I don't think you should bother too much. Hating on FUNi's dub is his shtick. Regardless of how good they are.
Look if you do not agree with me, that's fine. But don't make stuff up. Once before when I complained about simuldubs and I got that same "You just hate all Funimations dubs" crap. I want bother listing the dubs from them I do like, because it seems to fall on death ears.
@Raebo101 Well Elias sounded really good, his VA sounds reminds me a bit of Jamieson Price. Chise doesn't get the sombre voice right, and instead sounds wooden. Which you know could of been ironed out in a proper timeframe. Then there is Angelica, whose dub actress sounds awful.

All I'm saying is: you said you were hoping the Franxx dub is redone someday. ...What Franxx dub? It doesn't exist yet! I could list a whole bunch of Simuldubs that ended up being great dubs. Heck, there's a few this season (that I'm watching) that I'd consider great: Juni Taisen: Zodiac War, Recovery of an MMO Junkie, Kekkai Sensen & BEYOND, and yes, The Ancient Magus' Bride. If the Franxx dub doesn't end up being as good as I hope, I'll eat my words. But from my experience with Simuldubs, it doesn't hurt to be optimistic.

And on your complaints about the Magus' Bride dub: Angelica's actress sounding "awful" is a bit of a stretch. A few of her line reads came across a little flat, but she wasn't a bad fit for the character. I'd classify her performance as one of the weaker ones, but when everyone else is good, a "weaker" performance from a character who's hardly appeared at all since episode 2 isn't gonna drag the dub down. And I never had a problem with Chise's dub actress. She plays the character a little different from the seiyuu (in that she's slightly more emotional), but I really like what she's been doing. Like the seiyuu, Chise's feelings in the dub feel authentic to me.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:

I hope so too since Funimation action series tend to be on the higher end of their dubs, but I have a feeling Sentai will get this one since they usually get the non Aniplex fate titles like the original fate and Prisma Illya.

The latter is an interesting example, given that CR has Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 3rei! and Sentai does not.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
One thing I like about Funi simuldubs is they are constantly bringing in newer* VA talent. However, I will admit I wish the Los Angeles Eng. dub talent pool did more simuldubs for LA-based Eng. dubs, logistics aside.

*while they are "new" in the sense of joining the growing Funi talent pool, they tend to have at least some acting experience and maybe some prior some voice acting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4