• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The 10 Best Episodes of One Piece

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDemonPirate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote
Uhh... no Bink's Sake?!
One of my favorite things about the anime is the music and Kouhei Tanaka did an unbelievable job with that song.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:23 am Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
Thanks but I've switched from anime to manga since Dressrosa arc and I'm totally fine with reading a chapter/week instead of watching an episode/week at 2x-2,5x speed.
Me too, on the same arc as well. I thought, "well not much happened in this chapter, I'm not watching this be stretched out to 21 minutes".
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Personally, one of my all-time favorite episodes is #126, "I Will Surpass You! Rain Falls in Alabasta!". It's not just the climactic end to the Alabasta Arc, still one of the best in the entire series, but it's the way it ends that remains glorious. Luffy unleashing an never-ending barrage of Gum Gum Storm on Crocodile is memorable enough, but to have Kouhei Tanaka reach back into his Violinist of Hameln days & use a literal piece of classical music (Dvorak's "New World Symphony") to put the exclamation point on the sequence is still one of the greatest ends to a battle I've ever seen.

Obviously, there are other great moments, like Nami finally asking for Luffy's help, saying farewell to Vivi's time as a Straw Hat, & others that have been mentioned already, but for me the end of the Luffy/Crocodile fight has to be the most impactful (both literally & figuratively) episode that I've seen in full.

This, this, this! I couldn't imagine making a top 10 list without putting this one at the very top. Crocodile is the first world-class villain Luffy ever fights (and still one of my favorites), and the fate of quite literally an entire country is on the line. I love how it's the culmination of an entire series of fights in which Luffy utilizes some legitimate intelligence: he initially gets destroyed by Crocodile, then has a revelation that lets him employ water to counteract Crocodile's Logia powers, and finally achieves the same effect without using anything external. (Despite initial appearances, Luffy is frequently a far more insightful character than most shounen leads.) The finishing move is something more devastating than we've ever seen Luffy pull off; even to this day, I think the anime consciously deploys it only very rarely, because of how iconic its initial use was. And the use of Dvorak is absolutely inspired; I still get chills every time those first few string chords start playing. That's another well the anime has pretty much never tapped again. The whole episode from start to finish is absolutely stunning.

Like you mentioned, I'd also have to include episode 37, "Luffy Rises! Result of the Broken Promise!" To me, that was the very moment when One Piece went from something I was generally enjoying to something I'd completely fallen in love with. Nami's heart-wrenching despair, the visceral knife blows (I don't think Toei could even get away with that anymore), Luffy's utterly profound wordless gesture, and then finally that glorious march on Arlong Park, set to one of the most iconic pieces in the entire prodigious soundtrack. It's the first time we get a true sense of the series' penchant for creating devastating past tragedies that linger into a character's present, something that Oda has since refined into an absolute science, and it shows loud and clear that Luffy is willing to move heaven and earth for the sake of helping someone he cares about. This was the episode that made me a true fan.

What else...I can't argue at all with episode 278's all-time iconic climax, with the Straw Hats willing to become pariahs to the entire world all for the sake of a friend, and I know Sam said he didn't want to lean too hard on tear-jerkers, but I'd have to go right to 312, "Thank You, Merry! Snow Falls over the Parting Sea!" That one made me want to bawl like a baby. Sad Likewise, you have to include 396 in there for that one glorious punch that changed the course of the entire series, but even if it's right afterwards I couldn't in good conscience leave out 405's "Eliminated Friends – The Final Day of the Straw Hat Crew." That episode was the biggest gut-punch of the entire series, a horrifying progression of inexorable defeats that made me want to look away as much as keep watching. I think I felt almost as devastated as Luffy in the moment.

Here's a deeper cut for you: how about episode 194, "I Made it here! The Yarn the Poneglyphs Spin!"? It may seem a strange choice, especially since it comes after the end of the climactic battle against Eneru, but it's the episode where Robin deciphers the Poneglyph on Shandora's golden bell and reads the message left by Gol D. Roger. It's the first time we learn about the Rio Poneglyph and get the sense that there really is something momentous and world-changing waiting at the end of the Straw Hats' journey. Roger's message is maybe even more tantalizing, adding to his larger-than-life persona and deepening the mystery of just what that enigmatic "D" truly implies. As Sam noted, Oda only hints at the largest-scale world-building in agonizingly-small drips, but that makes them all the more compelling when they do appear.

I feel like there are several other moments that I'd put in my own list too. Chopper's heartbreaking backstory in episode 86 ("People only die when they are forgotten!"), Vivi's farewell in episode 129 (I can't wait for the Reverie), the devastating one-two punch of Luffy's fight with Usopp in episodes 235-236, Brook's iconic tragic past in episode 380, Whitebeard's apocalyptic final stand and triumphant declaration of the New Age in episode 485 (the moment two episodes prior is an obvious candidate too), Luffy's desperate attempt to stop the ship Noah and the appearance of the Sea Kings in episode 567...with a series as massive as this, you almost need at least a top 20 to fit in all of the most iconic moments. I will agree with Sam that, though recent, episode 808 is another obvious choice, and I feel like this arc will probably provide one or two more before all is said and done. It's fun thinking back on just how many highs this series has provided. Keep 'em coming Oda. Very Happy
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Ummm... I read 700 chapters of OP and hated every page, however, the Going Merry dead was actually a beautifully made chapter.

No one hate reads 700 chapters (Approximately 14000+ pages). You might not of loved it but if you stuck with it that long clearly you didn't Hate it.

Wahahaha, sorry nop, I actually stopped reading because it was literally hurting my health, I had constant headaches

For example, I have the habit of storing pages of Manga, a joke, a cool one liner or a great art.

In 700 chapters of One Piece I stored... 4 pages, and that's because the double spread of the Going Merry dead.

For comparison, I have 14 pages of a Evangelion doujin with 5 chapters called "Evangelion: REtake".

Why I did it?

Research, I wanted to know why it was so popular, when I finally understood it I kept going for a while for curiosity and then dropped it when I couldn't stand it anymore (The chapter when Nami prays instead of fighting Donquixote was the final straw).

This is not something I did only with OP, I also watched all the Marvel Movies for the same reason and read all the "Top Selling Manga" I can each year.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
^looks like you take entertainment way too seriously.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
NobodysDawn wrote:
spoiler[ Ace’s death episode ] isn’t on here? Blasphemy!

i was wondering about that. i mean the two most important deaths in the paramount war arc had to at least make it on this list. what's up with that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:15 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
NobodysDawn wrote:
spoiler[ Ace’s death episode ] isn’t on here? Blasphemy!

i was wondering about that. i mean the two most important deaths in the paramount war arc had to at least make it on this list. what's up with that?

The Marineford Arc is like the Invasion of Pain Arc from Naruto; while the best arc from a story/manga standpoint, it just wasn't adapted well in the anime. This was about the point where Toei decided that stretching the pacing out to unbearable points was the key to success, and the arc suffered heavily for it. I mean, at least the Pain episodes only had bad animation - here they adapted 30 chapters across 32 episodes, like WTH.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:43 am Reply with quote
Where are 234, 236, 312, 405, and 505?
Gonbawa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:27 am Reply with quote
Good choices allaround.
I would have added :
Nami desperately stabbing her Arlong tatoo.
Hilulluk's poetic and foolish sherry tree in the sky of Drum Island.
The "x" signs as a silent farewell to Vivi.
Nami explaining to the team, around a fire camp, the real name of Skypiea and the location of the treasure : best adventure feeling here.
The CP9 night raid on Iceburg mansion.
Luffy solo storming on Ennies Lobby, aka Pirate Warriors 500 hits combo the anime!
Luffy's group meets Cerberus and some zombies/injured old men.
Strawhats vs Oars
Soldier and young Rebecca flashback
(762) Sanji discovering the garchuu power (does not work with Nami)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:57 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
A couple of my favorite episodes were the Thriller Bark episode when Nami took a bath. I don't mention filler, but this is noteworthy.

I think I know what you mean by this, but without context, it sounds very very different in your intentions.

Lord Geo wrote:
Personally, one of my all-time favorite episodes is #126, "I Will Surpass You! Rain Falls in Alabasta!". It's not just the climactic end to the Alabasta Arc, still one of the best in the entire series, but it's the way it ends that remains glorious. Luffy unleashing an never-ending barrage of Gum Gum Storm on Crocodile is memorable enough, but to have Kouhei Tanaka reach back into his Violinist of Hameln days & use a literal piece of classical music (Dvorak's "New World Symphony") to put the exclamation point on the sequence is still one of the greatest ends to a battle I've ever seen.

I must admit to having watched fansubs of One Piece way back when, but when FUNimation reached this point in the series, I bought a One Piece DVD set for the first time for that episode. (The excitement was tempered drastically due to a series of postal-related mishaps causing me to receive the DVD set six months later than the expected delivery date, but that's beside the point.)

Snakebit1995 wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Ummm... I read 700 chapters of OP and hated every page, however, the Going Merry dead was actually a beautifully made chapter.

No one hate reads 700 chapters (Approximately 14000+ pages). You might not of loved it but if you stuck with it that long clearly you didn't Hate it.

Well, except for people who are crazy obsessed with something, emphasis on the "crazy."

What I have in mind are the people who are so invested in something that they develop lifelong vendettas for people and things that don't go their way. What I had in mind was this person named "Curious User" who, for years (until I stopped keeping track), would pester people at the wikis for Mr. Men (the set of children's books with characters like Mr. Happy, Mr. Miserable, Little Miss Sunshine, etc.) and Thomas the Tank Engine simply because he asked them questions and their answers were unsatisfactory. His attention span is seemingly infinite--I was an unfortunate target of him for a while on YouTube, and the more you'd ignore him, the harder he'd try to get your attention. He never ever tired. I really didn't want to block him, though I eventually had to (but some damage was done, as he "accidentally" leaked out the username and password of an acquaintance of mine while hijacking someone else's account and pretending to be them).

Sounds like Minos_Kurumada is not one such person though. Still, I wouldn't have the patience to go through about 14,000 pages of something I'm not enjoying. I could sit through a 26-episode anime I didn't like and have done that before, though my reasons are usually in the hopes that I'll like it more or understand it more after seeing the complete story. (Then I discovered that, at least with the ones on the Sci-Fi Channel, or at least that's what they called themselves at the time, the anime they showed was so chopped up for added commercial breaks that they lost their coherency or any kind of logical progression.)

Gemnist wrote:
The Marineford Arc is like the Invasion of Pain Arc from Naruto; while the best arc from a story/manga standpoint, it just wasn't adapted well in the anime. This was about the point where Toei decided that stretching the pacing out to unbearable points was the key to success, and the arc suffered heavily for it. I mean, at least the Pain episodes only had bad animation - here they adapted 30 chapters across 32 episodes, like WTH.

I remember there being an episode where the entire second half was a long series of reaction shots. They decided they'd dedicate a couple of seconds for absolutely everybody with a name. Who thought that would be interesting to watch?
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:16 am Reply with quote
Gonbawa wrote:

(762) Sanji discovering the garchuu power (does not work with Nami)

and what does that supposed to do? some kind of pervert power similar to naruto's sexy justu?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
and what does that supposed to do? some kind of pervert power similar to naruto's sexy justu?

For context, "Garchu" is a greeting and a term of affection among Minks (a race of people who are anthropomorphic mammals, and of the furry sort). It involves sidling up to someone and rubbing one's body against them, akin to a housecat.

A bunch of Mink ladies do this to Sanji, and Sanji really enjoys it. He also sees some other Minks doing it to Nami, who enjoys it (but as company, not sexually the way Sanji thought). So Sanji tries to do "Garchu" to Nami. Naturally, it didn't work.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
My favorite episode is still from early in Water 7, where Usopp duels Luffy over the Going Merry. It's the first time where Usopp legitimately is established as a skilled tactician, setting up numerous feints/traps/maneuvers that were intended solely to be used against Luffy. The entire episode is basically one giant fight. One of the few times where there isn't some random sideplot that takes up more than half the screentime while a cool fight is going on.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

For context, "Garchu" is a greeting and a term of affection among Minks (a race of people who are anthropomorphic mammals, and of the furry sort). It involves sidling up to someone and rubbing one's body against them, akin to a housecat.

A bunch of Mink ladies do this to Sanji, and Sanji really enjoys it. He also sees some other Minks doing it to Nami, who enjoys it (but as company, not sexually the way Sanji thought). So Sanji tries to do "Garchu" to Nami. Naturally, it didn't work.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

of course she wouldn't if its THAT PERV LET ALONE ANY MEN doing that to her. i would wager that those minks were all female right???
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2