• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation DVD Ranking, November 14–27

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eloyabun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
Interesting to know that "Ratatoille" is know in japan as "Remii no Oishii Restoran" Surprised

Last edited by eloyabun on Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
yay nanoha and lucky star, we need the dvds here now.............
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
musashi1600

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:12 am Reply with quote
eloyabun wrote:
Interesting to know that "Ratatoille" is know in japan as "Rumii no Oishii Restoran" Surprised

In English, that's Remy's Delicious Restaurant. "Ratatouille" would come out something like 「ラタッツイー」, unless I'm mistaken. Wink
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
November 14–20
9 - My Neighbor Totoro

Was this some sort of limited(at-time only, like Disney does) release, or is it still just that big of a gold mine?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:49 am Reply with quote
Oh I am really happy Mononoke is selling so well. Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
I guess they knew all about their pop culture from 'Lucky Star', they just don't know about "rats".

I find this utterly hilarious. 'Ratatouille' DVD outselling 'Lucky Star'? Now that is a hoot.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I find this utterly hilarious. 'Ratatouille' DVD outselling 'Lucky Star'? Now that is a hoot.

Why so? The initial DVD release from a company like Disney/Pixar of a family-oriented movie that showed in mainstream theatres is always going to outsell anything other than a similar release from one of the Japanese homegrown giants such as Ghibli. Japanese grade-school kiddies are not badgering their parents to run out and buy them a copy of "Lucky Star". Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Why so? The initial DVD release from a company like Disney/Pixar of a family-oriented movie that showed in mainstream theatres is always going to outsell anything other than a similar release from one of the Japanese homegrown giants such as Ghibli. Japanese grade-school kiddies are not badgering their parents to run out and buy them a copy of "Lucky Star". Smile

I was just about to say that. It's so true. I just watched the movie a few days ago. It's a nice little family oriented flick. My mom didn't like it. The idea of rats cooking. Gee, what ever happened to the whole idea of what it was like to be a child?
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
eloyabun wrote:
Interesting to know that "Ratatoille" is know in japan as "Rumii no Oishii Restoran" Surprised

In English, that's Remy's Delicious Restaurant. "Ratatouille" would come out something like 「ラタッツイー」, unless I'm mistaken. Wink

Yeah, maybe they choose that title because Ratatouille is very difficult to pronounce in Japanese.
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe Nodame Cantabile volume 8 is out already (I assume it's the last one) when the first volume hasn't even been released in the US yet.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
eloyabun wrote:
Interesting to know that "Ratatoille" is know in japan as "Remii no Oishii Restoran" Surprised

Army of Darkness was called Captain Supermarket Shiryo no harawata III when it was released in Japan. This is done far less often when movies are translated to Japanese compared to the frequency it happens when Japanese titles are brought to the States.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quote
Ah, my favorite series challenging the number one animation, heehee! Wink
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:59 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Quote:
November 14–20
9 - My Neighbor Totoro

Was this some sort of limited(at-time only, like Disney does) release, or is it still just that big of a gold mine?

It is still that big of a gold mine.

Its release date in Japan was September 28, 2001.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:25 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I guess they knew all about their pop culture from 'Lucky Star', they just don't know about "rats".

Yeah what a shock! A Pixar family friendly movie outselling a late night show aimed at otakus. Who could've predicted that?
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
eloyabun wrote:

Army of Darkness was called Captain Supermarket Shiryo no harawata III when it was released in Japan. This is done far less often when movies are translated to Japanese compared to the frequency it happens when Japanese titles are brought to the States.

Well, Changing names of foreign titles are very common in Mexico too. As an example, Thelma & Louise was named in the subbed version "Un Final Inesperado" (An Unexpected Ending), but the dubbed version keeps the original name and the Silent Hill movie was renamed "Terror en Silent Hill" (Terror in Silent Hill) because the original name doesn't sound like a proper name for a horror movie at least for some Mexican movie fans. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1