• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kiddy Girl-AND Sub.Blu-Ray + DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
article wrote:
lacks explanation of some critical concepts – especially how certain characters don't seem to physically age over the decades

Actually, that is touched on when they visit the old GOTT building in an early episode and see the likenesses of old ES Members, including some they are already familiar with.

There is definitely some retconning (and forgive me, I've not seen the series since it was on CR and my Japanese set is both incomplete and unsubbed). For one thing, Ascoer and Q-Feuille are supposed to have the same powers as Lumière and Éclair which were never anything to do with space and time (which were basically control over energy for Éclair and matter for Lumière) and there was never any indication that Éclair could teleport (that was in the preserve of Eclipse who, as Di-Air, is now powering people up while previously her main duty was "encoding" ES Members into new bodies, a process which was only shown in a scene inserted in one of the movies).

Not dubbing it has solved the problem of voice actors for returning characters not being available (one having passed away, at least a couple having moved to LA and goodness knows if they could track down Pugs as Kiddy Grade was his only role with them and I don't think his radio show is running any more)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
[Actually, that is touched on when they visit the old GOTT building in an early episode and see the likenesses of old ES Members, including some they are already familiar with.

It's touched on there, yes, but not actually explained.

Another detail I just noticed: the cover art is not completely accurate in depicting Q-Feuille's duty outfit. It shows her uniform as being solid over the right breast when it's not in the actual animation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh.. something else I meant to touch on was the the shift in tone from the original preview animation (by aslead) to the series. Between that, the memes and the prominence of Shiraishi I've been wondering what level of executive interference from Itou-P there was.

The US cover is based on the final Japanese one: http://www.kiddygirl-and.com/dvdgoods/img/bd_case08okL.jpg

IIRC there were three different sets of cover art by different artists (one for the BDs, one for the LE DVDs and another for the RE DVD). Ah yes, it was Kadonosono for the LE DVDs, Gotoh for the BDs and mangaka Higa Yukari for the RE DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I had tried watching this back when it first came out, and literally all I remember was that too many parts were insultingly dumb and I couldn't get past the first two episodes. It was like the creators wanted to cash in on a follow-up but denigrated themselves to even more blatant moe-pandering than they actually did in the original, and I liked the original despite its flaws. Should it ever start streaming on Funimation/Crunchyroll, reading this review has made me curious enough to give it another try, or see if I can at least get farther by at least a couple more episodes.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
^^
As I suggested in the review, like with the original, the first quarter or so of this one is its weakest part. If you want to see the better parts of the series, you'll have to endure the first few.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I remember being somewhat excited for this as I thought it was the fabled Kiddy Grade 2 that had been teased for years after the original ended. That's definitely not the case. I ended up dropping it around 8 or 9 episodes in. I know a lot of people seem to hold strong ill will towards Fam of the Silver Wing since it wasn't the Last Exile sequel they wanted. Well, I really liked Fam, but for me, Kiddy Girl-and is definitely not the Kiddy Grade sequel I wanted, so I can understand the frustration that some people had for Fam.
thecritter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I remember waiting anxiously for this to come out, and then watching the whole series with mounting disgust and a sense of deep betrayal. To put it as nicely as I can, this sequel series was just awful. It had almost no redeeming characteristics. Not in any part or aspect of it.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised that this was picked up. I mean the old series was a good time ago. There was the pilot which had barely any connection and then you got Kiddy Girl AND. And? AND????

I did see one episode of this show and never watched anymore. I will eventually watch the rest at some point. I liked the old series. But I must've really fell asleep on that series considering how a friend of mine I bought it for as a gift told me that while he was grateful for my gift told me that it made absolutely no sense whatsoever. It was a plot mess. I guess when you're sleep you can be ignorant of anything.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:44 am Reply with quote
The original Kiddy Grade always reminds me of an era when ADV was publishing Newtype USA, and they'd get some title that they'd just flog repeatedly for 3-6 months, presumably because they already had the art, layouts, and writing from the Japanese Newtype. So you'd get month-after-month cover stories and feature articles on Kiddy Grade, and then on to Gankutsuou, RaXephon, Full Metal Panic, Neigma, etc.
megazero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:45 am Reply with quote
Kiddy Grade is hands down way better than this sequel.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
The original Kiddy Grade always reminds me of an era when ADV was publishing Newtype USA, and they'd get some title that they'd just flog repeatedly for 3-6 months, presumably because they already had the art, layouts, and writing from the Japanese Newtype. So you'd get month-after-month cover stories and feature articles on Kiddy Grade, and then on to Gankutsuou, RaXephon, Full Metal Panic, Neigma, etc.

I actually think Kiddy Grade might have been among the titles that they provided spoiler content for right at the start as they initially mirrored the then current Japanese NT, which was obviously way ahead of us, and later worked something out to make sure that didn't happen. It definitely seemed like NewType Japan rotated covers and articles between Evangelion, Gundam Seed and Gothicmade on a regular basis though..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1